Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone who is wondering about this issue with a RWD. This is what I received from the Tesla escalation executive:

I verified with the management and the service advisers are correct. The parts are available only for Dual Motor vehicles and we will soon release it for RWD too. Unfortunately, I do not have ETA on it. I will keep the loop open and inform you as soon as the parts are available.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
For anyone who is wondering about this issue with a RWD. This is what I received from the Tesla escalation executive:

I verified with the management and the service advisers are correct. The parts are available only for Dual Motor vehicles and we will soon release it for RWD too. Unfortunately, I do not have ETA on it. I will keep the loop open and inform you as soon as the parts are available.
Good to know as I have a RWD and have been in limbo with my service center.

My 2017 MS90D got the new air spring modules (1067361-77-C) installed on 9/20. Initially, the ride was beautifully quiet. One month later the front rattle returned, albeit less severe and seems to occur when driving over rougher roads or larger bumps. I decided to wait another month until now to report back and it may have gotten slightly worse.

I wonder why the rattle disappeared with the new modules, then returned. I wonder if something has become loose.

Looks like I’m headed back to the service center - again.

My 2017 MS90D got the new air spring modules (1067361-77-C) installed on 9/20. Initially, the ride was beautifully quiet. One month later the front rattle returned, albeit less severe and seems to occur when driving over rougher roads or larger bumps. I decided to wait another month until now to report back and it may have gotten slightly worse.

I wonder why the rattle disappeared with the new modules, then returned. I wonder if something has become loose.

Looks like I’m headed back to the service center - again.

Same progression was observed in my vehicle with the replaced part 1067361-25-C. Although I connect it to the use of suspension leveling. Being in Standard first week I have not heard anything. It only started to manifest itself shortly after I started using the feature.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari and CaliSol
My 2018 Model S P100D is in the SC tomorrow for a replacement as the ‘new parts’ have arrived from USA. I should get the car back Thursday. I will keep you guys posted. Fingers crossed.

Hi - what was the outcome of your fix? My 2018 100D has this issue (see my post on UK forum yesterday) and am dropping into an SC today (Birmingham UK)

Did you have any problems getting the SC to accept that there was a problem?

I gather from most people the replacement part is 1067361-77-C.

I also gather from reading this long thread that some people find the fix works, but that others find the rattle returns after a short while.

EDIT: one final question...(to everybody)...is this issue deemed to be a safety issue (in other words is the advice to not drive the car until fixed)? Or is it just an annoyance?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi - what was the outcome of your fix? My 2018 100D has this issue (see my post on UK forum yesterday) and am dropping into an SC today (Birmingham UK)

Did you have any problems getting the SC to accept that there was a problem?

I gather from most people the replacement part is 1067361-77-C.

I also gather from reading this long thread that some people find the fix works, but that others find the rattle returns after a short while.

EDIT: one final question...(to everybody)...is this issue deemed to be a safety issue (in other words is the advice to not drive the car until fixed)? Or is it just an annoyance?

Thanks

Have to take Teslas word on this not being a safety issue.

Calling it an "annoyance" would be underrating and hardly concur with this: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability Issues

Thanks for the link, useful.

Issue is simple for me in terms of Tesla's responsibility and duty of care:

Safety related? Take the car off me, give me a loaner and fix the problem ASAP.
Not safety related? Take the car of me, give me a loaner and fix the problem ASAP anyway, as I wasn't made aware that rattling front suspension was a specific feature of this model...

Reactions: CaliSol
Thanks for the link, useful.

Issue is simple for me in terms of Tesla's responsibility and duty of care:

Safety related? Take the car off me, give me a loaner and fix the problem ASAP.
Not safety related? Take the car of me, give me a loaner and fix the problem ASAP anyway, as I wasn't made aware that rattling front suspension was a specific feature of this model...

Besides promoting the good image Tesla operates on legal basis. This has implications. You will need to consider warranty agreement and applicable consumer law in this context. It does not mean that it needs to be "unfair" from consumer point of view although it might be perceived like that mainly because it is not an area of expertise of a "regular" consumer. Here it is important to have a constructive dialog and "DO NOT PANIC" :)

P.S.
You might need to get familiar with the legal side of the matter yourself or, if the law seems too "technical" or you don't want to bother with that, appeal for help.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaliSol
Mine are replaced today and according to the ''warrenty invoice'' they installed:
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-25-C)

Should I be worried that the ratteling noice comes back since others are getting the replacement with part number 1067361-77-C?
I will ask the SC when pick up my MS in Amsterdam but their answers are alway political correct and don't know anything (took me quite a while before they acknowledge the problem with the air suspension at all). Tesla must improve with their communinication toward the SC with these kind of factory faults or the SC should stop acting like they don't know anything.

Last edited:
Mine are replaced today and according to the ''warrenty invoice'' they installed:
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-25-C)

Should I be worried that the ratteling noice comes back since others are getting the replacement with part number 1067361-77-C?
I will ask the SC when pick up my MS in Amsterdam but their answers are alway political correct and don't know anything (took me quite a while before they acknowledge the problem with the air suspension at all). Tesla must improve with their communinication toward the SC with these kind of factory faults or the SC should stop acting like they don't know anything.
Well, the ..-25-C is the old part number. I am guessing you should be able to answer your own question.

Got the new parts installed on Tuesday on my 2018 MS 100D.
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C)
Front Right & Front Left.
Only 2 days in, but it sure seems like it’s fixed!
The ride is now virtually silent so far!!!!

Mine replaced last week, also seems fixed and am very happy so far, as you say it is wonderful to have it virtually silent at slow speeds. At highway speeds I hadn’t noticed anything, but could be that tire/wind/road noise at speed was covering it.

Same replacement part number that you reported above, front right and left air strut on my 2018 MS 100D. Car was built in Feb, purchased as inventory car and took delivery in Sept with 7700 miles. Noticed problem immediately. Also noticed was same but worse on the slightly newer loaner 100D.

• Informative
Richmond SC confirmed parts on the way 4 weeks ago - still waiting
Yes same with St Leonards in Sydney,...followed up 2 weeks ago and said they are on order (for mine and about 4 others), but couldn't give any update as to when they would be here. Oh it will be nice to be rattle free...unfortunately once you notice it, it is always on your mind when you drive

Well, the ..-25-C is the old part number. I am guessing you should be able to answer your own question.

Yes, unfortunaly I am... They replaced it the the old part because this parts was specialy orderd three months ago for my car. When I pointed out that I rather had the modified part instead the response was that the rattling noise is gone for now and if it comes back they will replace it again with modified part.

Apparently they don't mind waisting time and money on pointless repairs. It pisses me off that in the six months ownership I had to drive 25k kilometers with that rattle noise and most likely have to do this again with the waiting times in the Netherlands. (3 months for an appointment).

The ''funny'' bit is that they also where going to replace my screen (yellow band issue) but they did not since next year Q2 or Q3 there will be a modified version of the screen... When I asked him why do you wait 4-6 months for the screen and don't change the suspention with the proper modified version which is already available he had nothing to say.

• Informative
Yes, unfortunaly I am... They replaced it the the old part because this parts was specialy orderd three months ago for my car. When I pointed out that I rather had the modified part instead the response was that the rattling noise is gone for now and if it comes back they will replace it again with modified part.

Apparently they don't mind waisting time and money on pointless repairs. It pisses me off that in the six months ownership I had to drive 25k kilometers with that rattle noise and most likely have to do this again with the waiting times in the Netherlands. (3 months for an appointment).

The ''funny'' bit is that they also where going to replace my screen (yellow band issue) but they did not since next year Q2 or Q3 there will be a modified version of the screen... When I asked him why do you wait 4-6 months for the screen and don't change the suspention with the proper modified version which is already available he had nothing to say.

You should NOT fight SC. Work with them instead. My assumption is that they are feeling your pain and even though they are in a different position than us it is questionable how much influence they have. The fact that they are doing work that you think is "pointless" would mean that they are trying to help at the best of their capacity. It is of course not optimal, but Tesla should be able to resolve this internally. Although I agree this is counter intuitive.

In addition, I will mention that, according to the feedback from more and more owners in this thread, the revised version ...77-C has only partially addressed the problem. Tesla itself has pointed out in their public message that they have partially resolved suspension issues. 65% to be precise, according to the source: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability Issues Which issues are they referring to is still a mystery for me, but provided I have not heard about or experienced any other issues than this one Tesla is working towards a complete solution still. This needs clarifications however.

Other than that, if I were you, I would use applicable instruments in such cases like reporting about errors, diagnosting with SC.

If you absolutely have to - appeal to legal council. There is also an option to collaborate in such cases if the problem is not taken seriously enough and it is not only your individual opinion.

It takes time unfortunately and believe me I feel both pain and irritation, and waste my time on this. But here we are and the choice we have is to bear with Tesla or leave. But so far Tesla has shown dedication and, probably clumsy, but progress.

Reactions: TS_Rob
You should NOT fight SC. Work with them instead. My assumption is that they are feeling your pain and even though they are in a different position than us it is questionable how much influence they have. The fact that they are doing work that you think is "pointless" would mean that they are trying to help at the best of their capacity. It is of course not optimal, but Tesla should be able to resolve this internally. Although I agree this is counter intuitive.

In addition, I will mention that, according to the feedback from more and more owners in this thread, the revised version ...77-C has only partially addressed the problem. Tesla itself has pointed out in their public message that they have partially resolved suspension issues. 65% to be precise, according to the source: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability Issues Which issues are they referring to is still a mystery for me, but provided I have not heard about or experienced any other issues than this one Tesla is working towards a complete solution still. This needs clarifications however.

Other than that, if I were you, I would use applicable instruments in such cases like reporting about errors, diagnosting with SC.

If you absolutely have to - appeal to legal council. There is also an option to collaborate in such cases if the problem is not taken seriously enough and it is not only your individual opinion.

It takes time unfortunately and believe me I feel both pain and irritation, and waste my time on this. But here we are and the choice we have is to bear with Tesla or leave. But so far Tesla has shown dedication and, probably clumsy, but progress.

Thank you for your extensive respone!

I know that the SC is doing all they can and the guy looked almost ashamed of himself/Tesla when he informed me about the issue knowing I have been at the SC for quite a few warranty issues and problems.

I knew upfront that Tesla was not perfect but sometimes the pain and frustrations gets the best of me. I have been at the SC for so many times since delivery that this actions causes a lot of irritation. In the past 6 months I own my MS I have been more at the SC than the past 5 year with my previous car. (I probebly have a monday morning model)

Myself and many others are reporting errors, diagnostics and ideas with the SC. But i know that a lot of people are getting ''SC tired'' and get the impression they just cant handle it. I would appreciate if there is more custommer feedback or interface to track the ''known issues'' so we get an idea how Tesla looks into the reports and what the status is. For example I'm not even bothering anymore to point out that Spotify doesn't work properly because the awnser is alway the same ''we are working on it the next version should solve it''.

I do not want to sound like a grumpy guy, I letterly love my Tesla and the driver experaince/ trill of an EV is absolutely magnificent but the simple things like the poor auto wipers, spotifiy, crashing console, yellow bands, doorhandles not working, ratteling suspension etc. ruin the overall user experiance and affect the love for the brand.

Hopefully Tesla will solve this kind of issues before the competition gets the best of them.

Thank you for hearing me out, it is a relieve and helps!

Last edited:
  • Love