Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
new x owner here. Just wondering if it helps range if I run tires close to max pressure. I know my Jeep Wrangler gets way better milage, just beats u up a bit. Also is there some sort of graph available that charts speed vs range. Sales person said 70 is sweet spot
But seems to me lot less air resistance at 55.

Tire pressure matters but increasing the tire pressure reduces the contact patch on the pavement. It is a trade-off between less rolling resistance, more comfort and better handling.

As far as the speed sweet spot goes...it's all about time on the highway (speed) vs the amount of energy used to get to the destination. You will get close to the "rated" range at 65-70 mph (rated being about 330wh/mile) using the Tesla suggested tire pressures. Certainly slowing down will use less energy as will eliminating full-throttle acceleration where not necessary.

FYI, the 20" wheel setup is better for efficiency than the 22" wheel setup.

new x owner here. Just wondering if it helps range if I run tires close to max pressure. I know my Jeep Wrangler gets way better milage, just beats u up a bit. Also is there some sort of graph available that charts speed vs range. Sales person said 70 is sweet spot
But seems to me lot less air resistance at 55.

I'm not sure about 70 being a sweet spot. If you switch your main screen to the consumption, you can monitor it much closer than your in dash display. I find slowing down to 55 to be much more efficient than 70, these things do not like high speed in terms of energy consumption. To me, it seems like an exponential drop the faster you go.

Also, highway vs local. Local roads allow much more regen and achieve better mileage. Stop and go, it's pretty easy for me to achieve the rated miles. If I do purely highway, I'm typically about 75% of the rated range.

Also, highway vs local. Local roads allow much more regen and achieve better mileage. Stop and go, it's pretty easy for me to achieve the rated miles. If I do purely highway, I'm typically about 75% of the rated range.

You do better on local roads because of the slower speed, not because of the regen. Traveling at a constant 40 or 45 mph on a local road would use much less energy than starting and stopping on a 40 or 45 mph road. Regen is nice because it recovers some energy that would otherwise be lost, but it's nowhere close to 100% effecient. Back when I first got a prius some people had done some testing with that and slowing down to a stop from 45 mph using regen recovered about 30% of the energy needed to go from a stop back up to 45 mph.

Like I said, regen is good and 30% is better than 0, but efficiency wise you are much better off maintaining a constant speed.

If you look at the energy monitor as shown below you can see that the scale is different for regen than for power used. It goes up to 900wh/mi for power used, but only 1/3 of that or -300wh/mile for regen. So if you are comparing a regen 'valley' to an acceleration 'hill' of the same size in the graph you only actually recovered about 1/3 of power needed for the acceleration.

IMG_4483.JPG

Last edited:
So I bought the bigger battery for the 295 range, but on a road trip can only expect 200 (70%). Car will mostly be in town driving
I'm assuming car takes this into account when scheduling supercharger stops.
Thanks for info. Wife wants to go on a tesla vacation once we recieve car.

Of course going 35 is better than almost anything. LOL
I have X P100D and 22" wheels, so if there is a range chewer this is it. 70M-75PH is amazing for me, moving right along and low 300's during a long steady drive. So sure, I can drop it down to master 270 but why disrupt an awesome ride when ample range is available. Set your X to lower its suspension at 60 (or whatever your chosing) for less air resistance.

You bought the range, now stop overthinking it and enjoy it the heck out of your ride! :D You will adjust and adapt as you get to know the vehicle, and it responds to your driving style.