Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#1 I was probably closer to zero loss for the first almost year, though now I'm about 2%-3%. So your's is normal enough.
#2 Haven't heard of this recently, but one firmware update changed the rated Wh/mile for my X and my range instantly decreased.
#3 If you haven't let the charge drop towards single digit percents and charged to 100% it is possible that the state of charge estimate is a little off. No need to make that happen, but your next 100% might be different. It's a difficult estimation.
#4 The car is supposed to rebalance the battery (make sure all cells are at the same voltage) when charged above 93% according to our best information. You may recover some of your degradation a short time after your 100% charge.

I picked up my model X in Aug and have never seen it charge more than 285 or so. But then I have the P100D version which is listed at a shorter range, 289 miles. The 100D is listed at 295 miles.

It's interesting they give such specific numbers. Electronics has variables so that every device made is not identically the same. Now they do have thousands of battery cells, so variations will average out, but still, it would be interesting if every car had the exact same range.

I think it is clear that the deterioration of that range will depend on how it is treated. It is pretty clearly established that you should not charge above 90% very often and likewise running below 10%. Turns out it is the same for fast charging. If you use Superchargers at full rate too often they will cut back on your charging rate. This is not an issue with giving away free power, they are protecting the batteries. I don't know what rate would be more acceptable at Superchargers, but if you use them and don't really care if it charges so fast, cut the rate back, possibly to as low as 50%. This is the sort of info Tesla doesn't seem to want to give out publicly. I guess it doesn't make for good press.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
No, you can’t adjust the supercharging rate. And it’s not relevant if you don’t care that it charges that fast, the point is to get you on your way quickly to make room for the others needing to supercharge. Reducing the peak power after hundreds of supercharging sessions isn’t a concern—the peak power may be a few kW lower which wouldn’t even happen unless you start with a very low SOC, and even then it would only add a few minutes to a long supercharging session. Only a very small percentage of owners have been affected by this anyway, mostly with 90kWh batteries. It’s just not something that needs to be on the radar of the typical owner.

No, you can’t adjust the supercharging rate. And it’s not relevant if you don’t care that it charges that fast, the point is to get you on your way quickly to make room for the others needing to supercharge. Reducing the peak power after hundreds of supercharging sessions isn’t a concern—the peak power may be a few kW lower which wouldn’t even happen unless you start with a very low SOC, and even then it would only add a few minutes to a long supercharging session. Only a very small percentage of owners have been affected by this anyway, mostly with 90kWh batteries. It’s just not something that needs to be on the radar of the typical owner.
I'm not sure where you got your info. How much is "a few kW lower"??? What I read was that the charging was significantly lower and it was *always* imposed at Superchargers once the owner exceeded the limit.

I think I will decide for myself what I need to be concerned about once I have found reliable data rather than speculation.

I just picked up my CPO 2016 MX 90D last week. I did a full charge last night and the range I got was 242 miles. According to Tesla the max range is 257. Is this normal to be that off for a 2016 MX?
I don't know for sure, but this is only 15 miles or less than 5%. Doesn't the charge miles vary with temperature? I was told my a service center tech it takes a few weeks, but as the temps drop it tracks your history and reads a more realistic number going into the winter.

It is amazing how much data there is to consolidate and track on these cars. It is hard to keep up with everything.

If you use Superchargers at full rate too often they will cut back on your charging rate.

Never heard of this as official policy there were some instances with 90 batts where was throttled back ..but I can say with my P85D supercharging over 6 times a week at 75k miles I always got top rate ~118-120kw with the right conditions ...if this was prevalent you would hear more complaints etc as there is plenty of data to go around with amount of vehicles in the fleet ..

I just picked up my CPO 2016 MX 90D last week. I did a full charge last night and the range I got was 242 miles. According to Tesla the max range is 257. Is this normal to be that off for a 2016 MX?

V1 90 batts have degradation issues which u can read in a long thread here ..depending on when ur car was built good chance u got a V1 and that sounds about right for what others were reporting on degradation