Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random thoughts on our M3 with red brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we bought the one with red brakes. I guess that's a P3D? Or is it P3D+?

I like what Fred writes over at Electrek Seems like a hardcore good dude.

The car is good. I am having a few problems, hopefully they'll fix 'em.

It's pretty good in snow, but not as good as I'd hoped
Winter driving thoughts so far

It's great to help the environment, help Tesla do its thing.

I paid $80,500, fully loaded. Then a month later Elon lowered the price. Hey did you guys hear about that? ;-) Anyway, I took the $5k. I thought it was cool that Elon offered. No tech company has ever done that -- that I know of. Getting the 5k back was easy, the Tesla people were easy to deal with. Check is in the mail.

I also got the full rebate, which is bomber. And we're in CO, so we got another 5k. That takes the car down to $68k, before other savings.

I'll keep the car until they come out with a battery bump and/or a must have reason to upgrade. On Fred's blog it seems like there's a battery improvement coming late 019 - faster charging and/or more range. That'd be reason to upgrade. We're going to buy an X, but waiting for the 019 refresh.

Was charging in Denver today at Park Meadows. Had to wait in line to charge. Some guy in an ICE car was parked in one of the charging spaces. He got lotsa nasty grams on his windshield, as he should have. I noticed other people driving by with a look of, "Look at all those Tesla people, taking up parking spaces. We need to go shopping!". Tesla envy? Consumerism? Just how people are?

The wife and I are were looking out at all the zillions of cars, parked and shopping, doing the Black Friday thing. First, wondering why on earth anyone still goes to the mall? Then, it occurred to us that a giant opportunity for mall landlords is to install a charger at each parking space. Now they're making money off of electricity -- and rent. Seems like a good idea to us.

We think electric cars will reach the masses faster than we thought -- just a couple months ago. 5 years sounds about right.

All kinds of problems with the Saudis -- again. It's all about oil. Elon's batteries are now powering cities:
Tesla’s giant battery in Australia made around $1 million in just a few days

Why we don't tell the Saudis to pound sand is beyond me. Oh wait. Some still believe oil is the future.

Back to the people driving by, giving us the crusty's at Park Meadows -- "Tesla people taking up parking, those $$$%^&!". One guy in a pickup drove by with his two daughters. The whole family gave us a crusty. I couldn't help but wonder if they'd feel the same way if Dad's construction company was hired to put a charging station in each of the zillion parking spots at Park Meadows and Dad bought each girl a shiny new Tesla from the profits he made.

If I come back from skiing and my door handles are frozen, I'm gonna be pissed. Really pissed. But it won't stop me from buying stock in Tesla.

Yep, we're proud members of the Tesla cult.

Last edited:
I think the local utilities give businesses some rate discount incentives to install chargers on their premises, so there is some motivation for stores (like Walgreens around here, who shops long enough at a drug store to charge?), strip malls, and shopping centers to host stations.