Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick video guide for frunk disassembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great video, thanks for posting it. (btw excellent choice of car & colour!)

The open view of everything under the bin is nice to see, I previously thought the 12V battery was harder to access

not directly related to your video, but speaking of 12V battery... does this vintage of D still have the 12V battery posts hidden behind the nosecone? I've seen mention of them for older (ie large-frunk) D models, but not of this more recent but pre-refresh D

great video, thanks for posting it. (btw excellent choice of car & colour!)

The open view of everything under the bin is nice to see, I previously thought the 12V battery was harder to access
It's a lot harder to access in the early RWD cars, but Tesla apparently learned their lesson and relocated it to someplace sane.

not directly related to your video, but speaking of 12V battery... does this vintage of D still have the 12V battery posts hidden behind the nosecone? I've seen mention of them for older (ie large-frunk) D models, but not of this more recent but pre-refresh D
My car is a Nov. 2015 car and it does not have the battery posts behind the nosecone--they're up by the main fuse box... which is curious because I also haven't noticed an obvious way to open the frunk from behind the nosecone in the event of 12V battery failure.

[...] My car is a Nov. 2015 car and it does not have the battery posts behind the nosecone--they're up by the main fuse box... which is curious because I also haven't noticed an obvious way to open the frunk from behind the nosecone in the event of 12V battery failure.
Thanks for confirming that.

According to Tesla's Emergency Responder guides the method to open the frunk without power varies depending on the model year. Looks like my 70D is just a couple weeks newer than yours - according the the guide for 2015 D Model S, you can pry open the nosecone and access 2 release levers to open the frunk. (This is different than the recently publicized hidden cable release in the front wheel well for refresh Model S)

Thanks for confirming that.

According to Tesla's Emergency Responder guides the method to open the frunk without power varies depending on the model year. Looks like my 70D is just a couple weeks newer than yours - according the the guide for 2015 D Model S, you can pry open the nosecone and access 2 release levers to open the frunk. (This is different than the recently publicized hidden cable release in the front wheel well for refresh Model S)
See, there's my problem... I was looking for a release pull or lever or something that didn't involve directly manipulating the hood latch. The guide basically describes manually popping the latch by directly manipulating the latching mechanism.