Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Switch Bluetooth to Audio-Only? (no messages or contacts)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's convenient to have contacts, messages and phone calls sync to the car's UI. But when I'm riding with others I would prefer not to have that information readily viewable/audible to them. In this case I want the phone to transmit only media audio to the car's speakers, or at least media plus call audio if it's not possible to keep the two separate. Are there any convenient solutions for accomplishing this? I thought about setting up a driver profile with contact/message sync disabled, but it seems these are global settings that cannot be associated with specific profiles? Also not possible to have the phone connect to the car only when a specific driver profile is in use?

I don't know what phone you're running but it's pretty simple on Android -- I don't know how to do it on iphone.

On android you can go into your bluetooth settings, find your car under "saved devices," hit the cog on the right, and then you have many options to check or uncheck. On mine I have: HD calls on/off, phone calls on/off, media audio on/off, allow access to contacts and call history on/off, test messages on/off.

Based on your post, I'd probably turn off text messages and "allow access to contacts and call history."

There may be a way to do it in the settings associated with your phone within the car, but this way works too.

I think the sync settings are associated with the Bluetooth device, not a driver profile. So, you can either turn those settings on and off as needed, or get a second phone to use when you’re driving with others.
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping to have a quick solution without navigating through multiple menus each time. Also was hoping to do it more discreetly without drawing attention to the fact that I'm disabling messages in front of my passengers. Having a second phone to exclude sharing contacts and messages with the car might work.

Last edited:
I don't know what phone you're running but it's pretty simple on Android -- I don't know how to do it on iphone.

On android you can go into your bluetooth settings, find your car under "saved devices," hit the cog on the right, and then you have many options to check or uncheck. On mine I have: HD calls on/off, phone calls on/off, media audio on/off, allow access to contacts and call history on/off, test messages on/off.

Based on your post, I'd probably turn off text messages and "allow access to contacts and call history."

There may be a way to do it in the settings associated with your phone within the car, but this way works too.
Currently I have an iPhone. It looks like the only control from the phone side is for syncing contacts with the car. From the car side I can only control syncing contacts and messages. It seems there is no choice but to accept all phone audio together including call audio even when I want only media audio.

Currently I have an iPhone. It looks like the only control from the phone side is for syncing contacts with the car. From the car side I can only control syncing contacts and messages. It seems there is no choice but to accept all phone audio together including call audio even when I want only media audio.
Years ago it was possible to enable Bluetooth calling and audio separately, but now it’s all or none. To avoid fiddling with settings each time, a second phone (or maybe just an iPod if you want audio only) is the way to go.

Reactions: cyborgLIS