Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Question on Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

srnewby54

OD 8/18 |MYLR7 |Blu/Bl |19 |MO I DD 3/7
Jul 23, 2021
Kansas City, MO
I am somewhat confused and hope the folks here can enlighten me.

I placed my order for a Model Y LR late yesterday afternoon. Got a "thank you for your order" email yesterday evening. This morning I had another email from Tesla that talked about prepare for delivery. One of the items mentioned in that email is to provide insurance details. I looked all through my profile that I completed when I placed the order and saw nothing about insurance. Also when I checked with my insurance agent she said she will need a VIN to insure the car.

When does the insurance become important in the ordering and delivery process? I would think it wouldn't matter until I get a VIN, but I could be wrong. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.

I am somewhat confused and hope the folks here can enlighten me.

I placed my order for a Model Y LR late yesterday afternoon. Got a "thank you for your order" email yesterday evening. This morning I had another email from Tesla that talked about prepare for delivery. One of the items mentioned in that email is to provide insurance details. I looked all through my profile that I completed when I placed the order and saw nothing about insurance. Also when I checked with my insurance agent she said she will need a VIN to insure the car.

When does the insurance become important in the ordering and delivery process? I would think it wouldn't matter until I get a VIN, but I could be wrong. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.
You need to upload your current insurance card - that’s it.

When I placed my last two online orders I had to upload a photo of my current insured car. I think they can't let you drive off the lot without insurance or something. The car doesn't need to be added to the policy before you get it. Even when I had the VIN before the car was ready for pickup my insurance company wanted to see the actual car after I picked it up. There was no rush either, I have li8ke a week or something.

I was required to provide a copy of my current and valid insurance card as part of the order checklist items.

My insurance wouldn’t add to policy even when I had the VIN. Needed to wait until after I took possession.

In California.

I am a prospective buyer of a model Y, I am trying to get more information before making my decision. I checked out the insurance section on Tesla.com and understand their system however I would like an estimate on approximate cost. On their site they have a range of pricing based on your driving score but of course other factors would be needed to get a more accurate estimate. Since I don't own a Tesla, I don't have the normal information or anyway to communicate with Tesla that I could find. Any suggestions?? Located in Texas, smaller town, senior, clear driving record - no accidents, tickets etc.