Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about charging overnight and leaving charge cable plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this may have been answered elsewhere but I found alot of these web forums don't have the search specificity of Google (not your fault) but there's the question

I plug my Tesla in to charge after midnight. Last week it was down to the 20% and I charge to 90%. The evening was in the 40s and the tempature went down to thee 20s over night.

When I went out, I in plugged the cable and got in the car and I saw there was 87% left on the battery and I had the blue star (batteries cold). I thought if you left the cable plugged in

the batteries start getting cold and they would try and warm them up since it's still connected -or- is that only for scheduled departure.

Also on another track. How come when I back up I can't get my mirrors to point at the ground. MY wife's Lexus RX350 does. Would help alot to keep from scratching rims

I think this may have been answered elsewhere but I found alot of these web forums don't have the search specificity of Google (not your fault) but there's the question

I plug my Tesla in to charge after midnight. Last week it was down to the 20% and I charge to 90%. The evening was in the 40s and the tempature went down to thee 20s over night.

When I went out, I in plugged the cable and got in the car and I saw there was 87% left on the battery and I had the blue star (batteries cold). I thought if you left the cable plugged in

the batteries start getting cold and they would try and warm them up since it's still connected -or- is that only for scheduled departure.

No, the car do not heat the battery unless you schedule a drive, or start a drive with a cold battery (blue snowflake) or start a charge when the battery is cold.

Leaving the car connected is a part of the Tesla way of giving us a very few ”Do’s”.
All electricity needed when connected wiöl go from the electric net, minimizing cycles on the battery.

Reactions: Regaj
I charge to 90%. [...] I saw there was 87% left on the battery
Yes, that's normal. It doesn't want to keep the cables energized all the time refilling every fraction of a % as the car continually drains a little bit. So when it finishes charging, it stops and disconnects. Then it will let it drift down 3 or 4 % or so before it will go ahead and reconnect to refill that. The getting cold can also cause the energy estimate to reduce by a couple percent.

Also on another track. How come when I back up I can't get my mirrors to point at the ground. MY wife's Lexus RX350 does. Would help alot to keep from scratching rims
That is in the menus somewhere--you can look around and find it. I think one of the settings menus says "mirrors", and there's auto-tilt and auto-fold. I don't like that function, so I keep it turned off, but you can enable it, so they will tilt down when you put it in reverse.

Yes, that's normal. It doesn't want to keep the cables energized all the time refilling every fraction of a % as the car continually drains a little bit. So when it finishes charging, it stops and disconnects. Then it will let it drift down 3 or 4 % or so before it will go ahead and reconnect to refill that. The getting cold can also cause the energy estimate to reduce by a couple percent.

That is in the menus somewhere--you can look around and find it. I think one of the settings menus says "mirrors", and there's auto-tilt and auto-fold. I don't like that function, so I keep it turned off, but you can enable it, so they will tilt down when you put it in reverse.
I get it. As for the mirrors the don't point 90 degrees to ground, maybe 75

As for the mirrors the don't point 90 degrees to ground, maybe 75
That's physically not possible for them to point down at a 90 degree angle--no car will do that, and you would be able to see the surface of the mirror at all if it were doing that anyway. But I get that they might not be pointing where you want. People usually want them looking at the edges of their rear wheels for backing. So find the setting for auto-tilt and turn it on. Then when you put the car in reverse, and they tilt down, in that position, you should be able to adjust and move them there, so it will set that as the new "tilted position" for whenever they tilt down in the future.