Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Better Place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[MEDIA]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-U1U9HSviU0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-U1U9HSviU0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/MEDIA]

Another video created by PBP. It's in response to The Davos Question, which is "What one thing do you think that countries, companies or individuals must do to make the world a better place in 2008?".

I help out with moderating the PBP forums. I'd invite anyone interested to drop by and join the discussions at Project Better Place

0-60 in about 13 seconds.
Range about 80 miles.
Ho-hum specs.
Probably needs a rather small pack to keep the price down low enough.

It will be interesting to see if this initiative really gets widespread "traction" in Israel. Looks like we will need to wait a decade to see what happens.

He mentioned the "magical" tax regime for EVs vs gasoline cars. We already have that in Norway and have had that since around 1990s. As our is progressive depending on pollution level it goes from around 70% extra for 520i series BMW upto about 150% extra for the M5. So hopefully we'll see a similar launch from PBP here in Norway as well as Israel.

Cobos

I'm glad I spent the time to watch the video. (Even after Barack's yesterday). I had thought the concept of making a plug in infrastructure was good of course but pretty impractical.

His presentation makes it sound so easy. So simple. It's one of those ideas that is beautifully elegent in it's simpliciy. A no brainer that everyone can (and should!) do.

Believe me, I read the hype about the concept and the man and thought at best "Ho Hum". But the video really made me excited for the future.

Denmark To Model Better Place

With 30 Planned Countries in total, Denmark will mark second to copy Project Better Place.

iTWire - Denmark signs deal to implement Israel’s electric car project

Approximately 20 % of Denmark's electric generation is derived from wind turbine power. The Danish wind turbine industry is the worlds largest. Denmark has installed 5,500 wind turbines as of 2004. Earlier opinion polls show 86 % of Danes supporting wind turbine power. The near term goal will be to produce 35 % of total energy by 2015 and continue constructing from there to possibly reach half-way point.

Sources:

Wikipedia.com
Windpower.org

Last edited:
Agassi`s scheme is an oxymoron that has been rejected many times in the past - the idea od swappable batteries is an old one and also one that makes no economic sense. It simply increases the very cost that make electric cars
not viable alernatives -the cost of batterie. making them cost the same as israel`s sky high gas prices is no solution - all those taxes will be lost and replaced by nothing. Plug-in hybrids are the only slution that makes any sense - Israel`s govt has been conned into belieiving that a pure electric car has some advantage over a plug-in in reducting gasoline dependence. It demonstrably does not - it merely makes the cost of electric propulstion exorbitant. taking his pound of flesh one day at a time is Agassi`s scheme to rape Israeli drivers. And if the EEStor ultra capacitors work as planned, his whole sceme comes tumbling down and is totally obsoelte even before the first of his exorbitantly priced "system" can be installed. Agassi is simply a con man.
While I don't agree with his tone, nor his personal attacks, I basically concur with his main point. I don't see the point in building a battery swapping infrastructure. I do think full electric is the eventual future. It will come gradually as the price of batteries comes down, or perhaps more quickly if there is a break through in storage (e.g. EEStore, perhaps). Till then plug-in hybrids are a good stepping-stone technology.

I don't get why everyone always gets all worked up about the batteryswap. Yes I do realise in itself batteryswap is not very interesting in the same way as quick-charging is not. But if you look at PBPs plans their idea is to cover about 30-50% of every parking space with an outlet. The 100-150 swap station intended to cover entire Isreal is to slightly extend the range and mostly show they can. This will also remove the argument everyone is using that everyone in an apartment can't use an EV or REEV. And this is the genius in the plan, the reason Agassi raised more money than Tesla did within a pretty short time.

Cobos

One of my problems with battery swapping is it's an attempt at a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. The idea that an EV has to have more than a 200 mile range is a misconception, especially in a small country such as Israel. A 100 mile range EV would probably suffice for most of it's residents.
If you can go more than 3 days without stopping at a gas station to refill your ICE then you're probably driving less than 100 miles a day.

It's worth a read, but she also has this hangup on battery swap stations. If you discard the battery swap issue point 1 and 2 goes out. The Renault-Nissan car uses regular standard power, it doesn't need specialflavored electrons. She continues to spread the myth about batteries wear out quickly.
She does have a point in that this might increase number of cars in Israel quite a bit, and for congestion purposes building train/light rail is a lot more sensible.
Then she comes with the silly Israel burns coal argument, so what, using dirty coal EVs are still MORE efficient, and from there it can only go up. Not to mention the security argument of foreign oil, which should be VERY relevant to Israel.

Cobos

Israel backs Palo Alto man's electric car plan

bu-israel17_car_ph_0495525228.jpg

UK to join Project Better Place?

Ministers embrace electric car revolution - Green Living, Environment - The Independent

Gordon Brown is to launch the biggest revolution in the way Britons drive since the development of the internal combustion engine. He will meet manufacturers this week to try to persuade them to mass-produce electric cars, and is considering a remarkable plan to sell the cars cheap, together with their fuel, that is modelled on mobile-phone contracts.

The scheme, which has already been taken up by Israel and Denmark, would sell heavily subsidised vehicles – or even give them away – in return for contracts to buy the electricity to charge them.

He also wants to "incentivise" the rapid changeover to electric vehicles in Britain, and so is studying the mould-breaking scheme being promoted by the 38-year-old entrepreneur, Shai Agassi, backed by $200m (£100m) of venture capital.

Oh God! Hard not to have that sinking feeling in the present context of tax u-turns and poorly thought-through initiatives.

(I'm British and as such, I crave disappointment, which this government seems to deliver :biggrin:)