Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming for round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you can add intermediate stops, and then rearrange the order?
Not quite. The issue in a round trip is charging stops for the return trip. I had to manipulate the process to make my destination an intermediate stop by not initiating the planner until after the trip began and making my original starting point the destination. Seems to me there is likely a simpler way to simply designate a starting point, a destination and then not I want to plan for a round trip!

Upvote 0
Dial in your first stop as normal. Then on the bottom window (where it gives the ETA, distance, and ESoC info) there's a button with three dots. Hit that, select Edit Trip, then add more waypoints. Hit ok when done.

I do this every day dropping my son off at school and then either going back home or going to work. I can make Home the final stop before even shifting to Drive.

Yes a round trip button would be nicer (and so would "minimum SoC on arrival" settings, or a "save trip plan") but it's what we have.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
Usually when you plan a trip, at the bottom of the directions list theres a return trip battery estimate for the same route. That’ll give you an idea if you’ll make it back with a single charge.
Other than that, the only way for now is to add waypoints and edit

Upvote 0
The system's route planning is really unreliable. We had major issues in the summer on our long road trip.

Last month despite an update it was the same. I was on a 4.5 hour drive home, leaving with 95% charge, first stop was 90 minutes out. I set that as my destination and then decided to add home to the route to figure out where I'd be stopping for dinner. Once I had done so (and had home as the final stop) the car (at 85% charge) started to precondition the battery to supercharge before I got to my first stop. I stopped it and deleted "home" and things went back to 'normal' except I still didn't know what my estimated SoC would be as I passed the SCs at the 2.5 and 3.5 hour mark on the trip.

When I left my first stop, it showed 16% charge when I arrived home so I decided to stop at SC#2 as that lined up well with dinner time. This was an 80kph road so I believed the estimate but planned to charge since I only have L1 charging at home and don't like to arrive home with really low SoC since it takes so long to recover. Along the way, my estimated SoC at destination started dropping and then it started to flash warnings that I needed to drop my speed to make it to my destination (home). It didn't add in a stop at either of the SCs between me and home, it just told me to slow down if I wanted to make it to my destination as it was currently showing at -3%. So I manually added in the SC stop I had always planned.

This was just one of the frustrations I experienced on that drive; the other was that it decided the highway suddenly had a 30kph speed limit and braked sharply (which I reversed before it had slowed more than 15 kph) and then I had to override the speed limit to keep the car going at 80kph.

I find Tesla road trips are not for those who are not paying FULL attention, not just to how FSDb behaves but also range. The car is too unreliable at estimates (on sunny 25* days with a tail wind) for me to not have range anxiety even when it says everything will be fine and I'll have 16% left at the end of my 3 hours drive. What surprised me was that it didn't add in one of the supercharger stops along the way. It was all up to me, to not only keep an eye on the system but to also know, in my head, all the charging options along the way.

Upvote 0
these problems are weird to me but somewhat familiar

I've gone 31,115 in 16 months, 86% on superchargers 7,280kwh and 14% L2 home charger 1,140kwh
my longest trip was ~3,500 miles (5,650km) (5 days after we got MYLR) and a lot of 2,200mile and 600 - 700 mile and a few 290 mile
(don't bother with Key West, Florida, USA. crowded except to say "I've been there" (but do get some local honey!)

what I have found is put in ultimate destination, then a bit later "edit" trip, "add stop" (home)

If it's acting "weird" just hit "edit trip", and do nothing except OK. It' usually behaves
I also touch the screen and hit the supercharger button for "close by superchargers" tap one, then X out of it

the computer will "think" a bit and settle down more or less correctly
hope this helps or is vaguely on topic

Upvote 0