Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting

Glyn told us that the latest glitch in the production of the Roadsters was a need to change the supplier for the body panels. Tesla was simply not getting the required quality. By now, this problem has been fixed, and the plant is currently ramping up production with body panels from the new supplier.

I wonder how much of the program delay this caused?

For those with any inside info, has Tesla ramped up production yet with drive train 1.5? It's September, and I haven't heard a peep. Aren't they supposed to hit the 100 per month mark shortly?

"This new powertrain configuration is planned to be inserted into the production schedule in September, at about the 40th car"...

Answers that question; thanks GSP.

Still some time till we get more drivers giving reviews (other than Martin). I'll keep saving my pennies.

Still some time till we get more drivers giving reviews (other than Martin). I'll keep saving my pennies.

That is where I am at as well. I can't get out of my head that the reason for all the delays of Martin's car was so they could go over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm not convinced that all the cars have the same build quality. I'm waiting to see more reviews from real customers.

That is where I am at as well. I can't get out of my head that the reason for all the delays of Martin's car was so they could go over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm not convinced that all the cars have the same build quality. I'm waiting to see more reviews from real customers.

More than likely I'll end up with a Volt; but it may very well end up with the first available EV for delivery that is practical...I figure it's 2 years from now regardless.

Yes, they have finished delivering the Founders Series, and this week they are beginning to deliver into the Signature 100 Series. This week the cars that are being manufactured in England are starting to get the new power train (which should show up for delivery in 6 weeks or so).

The way it works out, it seems that all the powertrain 1.0 cars are for the founders series, and that all the powertrain 1.5 cars are for the signature 100.

This is mostly true. There is a lag between what gets built and what gets delivered. I understand the first handful of Sig 100s (maybe a dozen?) will have the old powertrain -- those which have been built before this week, but not yet delivered. Supposedly they have about 50 cars now in some stage of being in the middle of being built -- most of which will have the new powertrain. Once they deliver everything that has been built before this week they will be 100% on the new powertrain.

I don't know for sure, but I recall hearing something like 27 "Founder Series" delivered already, plus ~50 Signature 100 built already (not all delivered yet). I would guess that perhaps all the Signature 100 customers get their cars before Christmas.

Again this is just a very rough estimate based on limited recollection of some quotes I read various places.

From tomsax's blog on the Seattle town hall meeting last Friday (9/26/08):

Signature #38 has entered production and they have delivered into the first few Signature 100 owners. The production rate is about ten per week. They expect to step that up to twenty per week by the end of this year. The first batch of the 10-per-week production will arrive in California next week and they will begin installing drivetrain 1.5 in those vehicles.

I might be putting in an order soon, in which case I would be ~ #1201. I was told that expected delivery would be 9/09. $60K down, balance due when color selection comes about in 4/09.

Does this sound realistic? 1200 Roadsters mfg'd & delivered by Sept 2009? Drivetrain 1.5 still hasn't had a full Durability/Reliability run (at least publicly disclosed)?

I want to "play with the Technology". Maybe another option is to convert an existing car (sports car, small SUV, etc) to EV, & experiment with an Xtrac multiple speed gearbox. Like JB has done at Tesla, develop my own digital PEM.

The plan all along has been 600 MY2008 and 600 MY2009 so yes that seems reasonable. Many have discussed that here and that plan was deemed quite reasonable.

It is my understanding that DT1.5 has been fully tested and and is due to start being installed in cars VERY soon if not already. I think it may be being installed after car 38 if my recollections are correct. So 1200 would be fine...