Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does not care which wheels you order. They are the same cost as an upgrade option, black or silver. If someone in the USA with a Sport package wanted the silver forged alloy Tesla wheels version, I have no doubt that Tesla would do it.

I would expect the black version to cost more anyways since they have to paint it black (originally it was silver before they offered the black version).

Wow, what a fun week driving the car.

@tdelta1000 - I think the web site does default to black wheels for the Roadster sport, but I really wanted the silver wheels (I didn't like how the black went with Twilight blue) so I changed it.

@MPT - I put more pictures up at:

Jonathan Taylor's Photos - Tesla | Facebook

@Nichen - one hell of an xmas present indeed.

I'm extremely impressed. I have a small list of issues to fix, including: condensation in the headlight enclosure, crackling noises in the front right speakers when going over any bumps, and the charge port light intermittently coming on. Really minor stuff for such an exotic car.

Most people in Orlando have no idea what it is--one guy said "nice Lotus" the other night. Except Target... strangely everyone at the Target parking lot new exactly what it was and swarmed me with questions ;)

This has happened to others. Does anyone have a fix?
I think it can happen when the car is moved from a warm / humid area to a cold area. Such as from a warm garage into a cold morning drive. A little sunlight tends to fix it quickly though.

I'd noticed that on the driver's side headlight enclosure on #750 the other day. While it's not an immediate problem, it's not good for it to recur frequently as it will lead to corrosion of the electrical contacts...which could be costly.

Tesla Motors - Press Releases

Tesla Celebrates 1,000th Roadster

Electric Automaker Displays VIN 1,000 at North American International Auto Show, Will Donate Full Value to Charities

DETROIT --(Business Wire)-- Jan 12, 2010 Tesla Motors has built its 1,000th production vehicle -- a significant milestone for the only automaker worldwide producing and selling highway-capable electric cars.

The car, which bears the unique Vehicle Identification No. 1,000, is a special-edition Roadster Sport in “Millennial White,” with a unique interior and carbon fiber accents. VIN 1,000 will be on display at the North American International Auto Show through Jan. 24.

The world's leading electric vehicle manufacturer will donate the $175,000 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of this collector's car to several charities in metro Detroit.

"A year ago right here in Detroit we had delivered about 150 Roadsters, so VIN 1,000 is a humble but important milestone for us," said Tesla CEO Elon Musk. "It's fitting to do something special with this unique car."

They say it's the 1000th production vehicle, which I assume includes Europeans as well as US cars, but then they say it has VIN1000. Did they just skip ahead in the US VIN sequence?

Vector: 35 cars
Tucker: 51 cars (1948 Tucker Sedan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Tesla: 250 cars (as of March 14th 2009):smile:
Corbin: 300 sparrows
Think!: 1105 cars (Think Global - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
EV1: 1117 cars (General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
RAV4 EV: 1574 cars (Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
De Lorean: 9200 cars (DeLorean Frequently Asked Questions - Historic Information)
Edsel: 118287 cars (Edsel Production)
Hudson: 300000 cars in one year
[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have an update on production/delivery numbers?
Has Tesla passed EV1?

more than 50..........3 Nov '08
more than 150......11 Jan '09
more than 200........3 March '09
nearly 300.............26 March '09
about 320...............2 April '09
more than 400......12 May '09
500.........................2 June '09
nearly 600.............29 July '09
700.......................15 Sept '09
just over 850........22 Oct '09
about/nearly 900..22 Oct '09-7 Jan '10
1000.....................12 Jan '10
more than 1000....12 April '10

Last edited:
If that's the case, why isn't the VIN number for the Roaster they are about to ship to me over 1000? Or do they have different series?

As you guessed, they have different VIN series.

Engineering Prototypes
Validation Prototypes (many of which were marketing cars later sold)
Founders Series
Production for US (included the Signature 100 Series)
Production for Europe (includes a Signature 250)

This ABG article suggests Asia will get their own VIN sequence and Signature series. Also total production by the time they stop in 2012 will likely be about 2000 instead of the 2000/year they had hoped to sell.

I'm assuming Canadian cars are in the same VIN sequence as the US cars. What number did you get, if I may ask?

A data point: I got VIN 222 of the EU Signature 250, delivered late March 2010. I was also told when I confirmed my order in early March that they were pretty much sold out of EU Signature edition cars. It may be that by now they are fully allocated or even delivered on the EU Sig series. Certainly someone had already bagged 250 of 250 (but I think it was allocated out of sequence).