Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my eMMC in my P85 (2014).
A good explanation to disassemble the dashboard and take out the display can be found in this Youtube movie:
(starts around the 17th min)
The only mistake are 2 screws above the steering wheel, to easily lift the dashboard. You should remove a cover first.
View attachment 480694

After taking out the MCU I brought it to Dennis from "All Systems Go" in Terneuzen (Netherlands). Perfect service. He works together with someone from this forum and they read out the important files before desoldering. Replaced the old eMMC with a new one (16GB). Not all partitions were perfectly readable, so they gave me a clean version (reset). Technical details can be found in earlier posts here.
Well done for a good price and very fast.

Great information. Keep in mind you only need to remove the panels on the dash to remove the mcu. The center console will be attached and not need to be remove. The trim removal shortly the 17th min mark will not be needed to remove the mcu.

Excellent... I'll peruse and add as i have anything worthwhile.
Work in progress! Help is welcome :) Doing this in my spare time.

Thanks gents. Very informative. I just about finished on dash disassembly and wondering why pulling the MCU fuse, or 12V fuse, and HV loop (Tesla manual) is necessary.

Some folks have even reported driving their car with the daughters board out for repair. So is it ness art to any, all fuses. Little confused in this regard.

Thanks gents. Very informative. I just about finished on dash disassembly and wondering why pulling the MCU fuse, or 12V fuse, and HV loop (Tesla manual) is necessary.

Some folks have even reported driving their car with the daughters board out for repair. So is it ness art to any, all fuses. Little confused in this regard.

The wires are live. General practice is good to remove power first for safety. Since Tesla also recommends it, I'm not going to recommend that you don't pull them (liability issues.) It is a 20A fuse, so it will pop if the connector gets grounded. I will admit in other areas having a fuse saved me from having bad things happen. Also when young and playing with batteries I quickly learned what a short circuit was.

Yes, the car can drive with mcu and no terga. Collecting more info to post on that soon.

You mainly need the OpenVPN keys, the rest is not needed. You really want to have p3...

Oddly enough extraction on my p3 /var p4 /home are clean but my p1 and p2 having issues. It's there a way to recreate at least current firmware squashfs partitions? I am able to identify which is the current partition (file dates) but it throws a bunch of squashfs errors when mounted.

That is not obvious to me from what green tweeted. ?

6kRyvIR.jpg

KKgJQiy.jpg

Not sure if this is the fix referred to by Tesla. Archiving syslogs via gzip has been around on Unix/Linux for a while. More to the point, your not saving writes by taking a syslog file that was already on the disk , gzipping and then writing the new gzipped file back again. Sure it saves blocks but it's a net positive on number of writes to the eMMC module.

Oddly enough extraction on my p3 /var p4 /home are clean but my p1 and p2 having issues. It's there a way to recreate at least current firmware squashfs partitions? I am able to identify which is the current partition (file dates) but it throws a bunch of squashfs errors when mounted.
You can find the firmware through the proper channels.

So make sure you have p3 and p4 backed up! Mainly your /var/etc files in p3. Once you have those you're safe.

Great information. Keep in mind you only need to remove the panels on the dash to remove the mcu. The center console will be attached and not need to be remove. The trim removal shortly the 17th min mark will not be needed to remove the mcu.
The wires are live. General practice is good to remove power first for safety. Since Tesla also recommends it, I'm not going to recommend that you don't pull them (liability issues.) It is a 20A fuse, so it will pop if the connector gets grounded. I will admit in other areas having a fuse saved me from having bad things happen. Also when young and playing with batteries I quickly learned what a short circuit was.

Yes, the car can drive with mcu and no terga. Collecting more info to post on that soon.

TonyT DM me to discuss my repair. Thank you

What I did notice though is that without the MCU the DC<>DC converter doesn't turn on and thus your 12V battery is drained.

Therefor, if you remove the MCU, keep the frunk unlocked so you can reach the 12V battery. Or hook up the 12V to a tender.

What I did notice though is that without the MCU the DC<>DC converter doesn't turn on and thus your 12V battery is drained.

Therefor, if you remove the MCU, keep the frunk unlocked so you can reach the 12V battery. Or hook up the 12V to a tender.
It seems really unlikely that the MCU would manage the 12v recharging. Can anyone else confirm if this is normal?

Could I request a sticky to this thread with contact details and physical locations of those who do this as a service?

I'm not inclined at this point to take my car apart (no signs of failure that I know of) and FedEx a valuable part away, but if there were a list of reputable and experienced people to contact it would help reduce the panic if/when the time came, as opposed to searching vaguely through pages and pages of responses and multiple threads.

Though I've been noticing repair prices through the SC have been coming down and I'm personally holding out hope that mine lasts long enough to benefit from a modification that will make replacement easier in the future (like Gruber's socket idea).

I’ve got a 2013 P85 with about 68k mikes on it. Original owner. Have streamed Slacker and Tunein since day 1. Also had Waze running on the car before the browser became totally unusable. Still on original MCU1, do don’t think streaming affects the life of the eMMC. I do have energy saving turned ON so that the car goes to sleep after a period of non-use.
It's one factor, but usage is clearly another. My car is same vintage but twice the miles.... MCU died a couple of months ago.

Most of the logs in the video appear to be syslog messages. If true, as I remember, syslog can be configured to log more or less or none at all. Since it has been five years since I messed with syslog, am I remembering this correctly? Hopefully this logging is only happening while the car is awake or being driven and not while it is sleeping.
You can move it to tempfs (in RAM) and restart the logging daemon.

It's just my experience. When you remove the MCU the 12V isn't being charged.
I drove mine for weeks without an MCU. It never occurred to me that the 12v might not be charging. The DC to DC converter that recharges the 12v is powered by the high voltage pack. Are there any settings in the MCU regarding 12v charging? Why would the DC to DC charger be connected to the MCU?

I thought I read here about people that have used the car “normally” for a week without the mcu. Normally as fast as drive functions anyway I was assuming.
I can't prove otherwise. I just found that when I removed my MCU that after ~6 days the 12V battery of my 2013 Model S85 was dead. Never happened before.

Once the MCU was back in the car it never happened again.

So somehow the DC<>DC converter didn't kick in those 6 days.

I drove mine for weeks without an MCU. It never occurred to me that the 12v might not be charging. The DC to DC converter that recharges the 12v is powered by the high voltage pack. Are there any settings in the MCU regarding 12v charging? Why would the DC to DC charger be connected to the MCU?
Good question!

I don't know. It's just my experience. Without the MCU my 12V wasn't charged.

I can't prove otherwise. I just found that when I removed my MCU that after ~6 days the 12V battery of my 2013 Model S85 was dead. Never happened before.

Once the MCU was back in the car it never happened again.

So somehow the DC<>DC converter didn't kick in those 6 days.

Good question!

I don't know. It's just my experience. Without the MCU my 12V wasn't charged.

Yes, the 12V stops charging once mcu is pulled, does not happen when Terga is out of MCU, only when MCU is disconnected. I put car on tender.

To be clear, also does not happen with dead eMMC, if it does, it should be an unrelated issue...

• Helpful
Reactions: .jg. and scottf200