Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you like live traffic and google satellite maps, if so then yes. Otherwise tether to your phone to let media apps work.

Maybe there will be more features, like a remote viewing of sentry cameras coming in the near future.

Upvote 0
Useful for anyone with unlimited phone data, Tesla now allows a hotspot to remain connected in Drive for Spotify as an alternative to Premium Connectivity. Netflix/YouTube etc are as fast to load as through LTE, ofter faster and with the advantage that it defaults to UK content rather than NL.

Navigation still uses live traffic to plan a route but doesn't visualise it & although Satellite View undoubtedly looks nicer, the map is identical.

Connecting a hotspot is a minor inconvenience at the start of each drive session though but takes seconds.

Upvote 0
I pay and much prefer having than not having for various reasons much the same as those already mentioned above, it's certainly worth more to me than the three average pints of beer one could otherwise buy. Or more likely two in this part of the world.

The plus point of course is it's a monthly sub and not an annual one, so I suppose at the very worst you'd only be down a tenner if in any given month you decide it's not wanted any longer.

Upvote 0
We have lifetime premium connectivity being an early UK order, but there was a period of time when it looked like we were going to lose it.

Having had the car for best part of a year, albeit with less driving, I had that experience to know if I was going to stump up the £10/month or if it was worth fighting to get the premium connectivity reinstated. At that point, use of tethered phone wasn't really an easy option. As I only used it for occasional traffic delays, I decided against stumping up the £120/year, but, as a matter of principle, it was worth trying to get the spec of the car as it was then ordered.

We won that argument, so in the end no decision was needed to be made. I think I would have missed not having live on screen traffic, but not £120/year missed it. I would have happily paid a much smaller amount just for live traffic visualisation (I pay £7/year for live traffic on my mobile phone sat nav and other options are free, but they are also in my pocket and not at our finger tips), but it wasn't an option, and only if it was payable as an annual cost. Someone on here recently used the term, 'death by subscriptions' I think, and I personally thought that quite apt.

I've also used satellite view a couple of times, but that's it. Ironically both options are not available if tethered.

Upvote 0
A quick question here - do you retain access to the Tesla Spotify Account if you don't have Premium Connectivity but instead tether to a phone? At the moment I am still in the free trial period (30 days - huh.) and as I do not have a Spotify Premium account the car offered the Tesla account. I kind of like it, apart from some quirks of the interface (such as back not going back to the previous screen or not showing me the album on a searched-for track, or automatically going into "Radio" mode (shuffling tracks from a searched for artist) - I could go on, but it's nice to be able to listen to anything you want.

Upvote 0
do you retain access to the Tesla Spotify Account if you don't have Premium Connectivity but instead tether to a phone?
I answered a similar question in another thread.

No, you do not loose the Tesla Spotify account when premium connectivity ends and you tether. I can't word that any clearer.

Premium connectivity really comes down to convenience. However, there are many apps that can enable hotspot on your phone automatically when it Bluetooth connects with the car - so the experience becomes just the same. As ever, it's an individual decision - everyone will of course justify their own decision.

Upvote 0
there are many apps that can enable hotspot on your phone automatically when it Bluetooth connects with the car - so the experience becomes just the same

I'm about to come to end of my 12 months so I've been playing around with hotspotting recently and yes I can easily get my phone to toggle hotspot on and off as I enter/leave with an automation app but as far as I can work out I still have to tap on the lte/WiFi symbol and turn on WiFi on the car everytime I get in? I've ticked the keep the WiFi on in drive option for my phone's network but this doesn't seem to do anything as the car is already connected to my home WiFi when I get in at home...?

I already pay for Spotify premium separately but I'd seriously consider £10 a month to not have to turn on WiFi everytime I get in the car if there's no other setting I'm missing?

Upvote 0