Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll"

In which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s be honest
PHEVs are not the answer
My family drives 3x pure BEVs long term to help reduce carbon

PHEVs are a falsehood that do NOTHING to help reduce carbon

It’s getting worse, please get a clue
View attachment 1022044
New data that proves PHEV hybrids, etc are a falsehood
1710987842584.png

please DON'T buy them, they are literally killing people due to CO2

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlS and cwerdna
Please explain how PHEV helps our air and environment vs BEV?

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but…

I belong to a Honda Clarity PHEV forum. The Clarity advertises 47 miles of EV range. A bit more in summer months, decidedly less in winter months.

A suburban owner with a 10 to 15 mile commute will very rarely burn any gas at all. There are those who go 6 months or more without buying any gas. When they do, the car has a 7 gal tank and gets about 42 mpg.

These folks may be outliers, but can come pretty close to the environmental impact of a BEV.

Remember, even though you may not see a lot of these around in your area, the Ford F-Series truck is the best selling vehicle almost every year in the US and has been that way for decades. https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-f-series-is-americas-best-selling-vehicle-for-41st-year/ is from Jan 2023.
Not lightening

Reactions: cwerdna
Semi-related to copper theft (e.g. at Public Charging or Bolt EUV Charger Cable Theft), we already have criminals stealing copper at charging sites. Attached image refers to Redmond, WA.
437033467_10227823609110425_3631659832323320038_n.jpg

Copper wire thieves was started in 2011.

As EVs continue to gain share, I wouldn't be surprised that some charging sites become targets for robberies. Already, purse snatching has been going on for years at gas stations even in the daytime despite the short dwell time there vs. public charging.

Then there's Safety and security at charging stations are a major concern for women. And, yes men can be targets too, esp. in sketchier areas.

And, as I said before, not everyone can charge at home nor work. Many will be forced to depend on public charging.

Side note: The results of a survey taken in 2022 at https://advocacy.consumerreports.or...022-Battery-Electric-Vehicles_by-gender-1.pdf are interesting but I've only had a chance to skim part of it.

Last edited:
Think how dangerous that would be. And of course filmed.

There was one charger that my wife won't go to - although it is probably still there. That was from 10 years ago. Every new one since then is a non-issue.

Not everyone buys a new car. Most people don't in fact. Rich people buy new cars and tend to have charging access.

But, yes, you should not by an EV if you can't charge at home or work.

Reactions: h2ofun
Think how dangerous that would be. And of course filmed.

There was one charger that my wife won't go to - although it is probably still there. That was from 10 years ago. Every new one since then is a non-issue.

Not everyone buys a new car. Most people don't in fact. Rich people buy new cars and tend to have charging access.

But, yes, you should not by an EV if you can't charge at home or work.
I've used plenty of public charging (L2 and DC FC) that seem to have no cameras monitoring.

Just because a site's recent or semi-recent does it automatically == safe. worst charging station locations isn't too old and was apparently very sketchy.

I've personally DC FCed at Industrial St Parking Lot | McFarland, CA | EV Station when it was free at night. It was in an area next to a residential area w/nobody out and about. I didn't see any cameras. From what I could see at night of the houses, it didn't exactly look like a wealthy area.

When I've gone on road trips, in most cases, if I'm charging and remaining my car, unless it's at busy location (e.g. busy mall or businesses nearby) w/plenty of people around or guarded, I'm am not comfortable w/taking a nap while charging.

As for "yes, you should not by an EV if you can't charge at home or work", but I've already pointed to a problem where many people cannot charge at home nor work. But then we have some states (e.g. California) who are attempting to force them on people (California moves to accelerate to 100% new zero-emission vehicle sales by 2035 | California Air Resources Board) which I've asserted will end up not happening and will end be watered down and/or pushed way out.

Reactions: h2ofun
I don't have any dream that we will agree on things. But consider a few things.

2035 is a long time from now. I can't even imagine that far into the future - the variety of things that could happen before then are vast.
Buying a new car is a top 20% of income activity. It might be top 10% in 10 years.

For the most part, top 20% can do what they need to for home charging and if they can't - they can move. Resale values on impossible charging housing can plummet. 10 years is a really long time.

CA is far from the only jurisdiction in the world with this mandate. There are 5 EU cities with a 2030 goal. The entire EU is planning on a 2035 ban. The EU market is vastly more diverse than CA (and 6X larger).

CA went from 19% to 25% EV new car sales in one year (2022-2023). Linear growth gets to 100% in 2036.

I am sure there will be carve outs like commercial trucks which a fair amount of wealthy rural folks will run to. There might be specific rules and auto makers flock to them to get a few - maybe 15% - ICE sales. Maybe even a large SUV carve out based on weight or truck chassis. There might even be a small market of commercial truck to large SUV conversions. Or, most likely, the stubborn Luddites will drive to Nevada to purchase. Maybe even an industry of cheap rentals on the border to allow NV registrations. Micro apartments for $200 a month - think of the tax savings.

Used car (and new car) dealers can buy 3X annual sales in 2034 mobilizing from the rest of the US for the anticipated higher than new resale value in 2035. That would a hard one to stop. Maybe an investment idea for you.

All these things will eat into the 100% goal but it will help the percentage.

But, CA can tax gas even more with discounts based on income or age of car. You could provide a gas tax credit of $1000 annually to those with less than $75k income (and maybe phase credit down to $120k) and add $2 (or $4?) to every gallon. This is basically the bipartisan carbon tax with credit that the US tried to pass.

See - global warming is a problem. And it is becoming increasingly obvious. Things have to be done and there are barriers but they are surmountable. What is the other option? No cars? - sure - but that is even harder.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don’t recall a car company including Mercedes ever trying to shove a vehicle down my throat, not figuratively and certainly not literally. I actually like the EQE and EQS but hopefully not in the market for another couple of years.
All respect intended, the Merc EVs have no lines and look terrible which does not equate to a premium vehicle
The parents have to admit, rhe baby is ugly