Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPSW touch-up paint - is there a better source than Tesla for a more accurate match?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I have a 2021 Tesla Model "Y" - Pearl White and see that the Scratch Happens kit includes a Primer, Paint and a Clear Coat finish and would appreciate clarification that the Paint IS PEARL white and NOT white that needs a pearl finish" to be added?
Thank you
Bob
The Tesla Pearl White Multi-Coat paint has a base coat that is white, a mid-coat that is milky clear with metallic flakes and a clear (glossy) top coat. This is all in addition to the primer coat.

The paint on the Tesla Model Y is egg shell thin. One challenge when applying touch up paint is that the layers (primer, base coat, etc.) will end up being much thicker than the surrounding paint. For a small repair I would apply the primer (if the underlying metal has been exposed) and just the base coat. Apply some auto polish after the paint has dried and then wax. From 4 feet away you will probably not be able to detect the repair.

After seeing many positive reviews, I tried the PPSW touchup paint from TouchUpDirect and it was nowhere close to a match. It was significantly too white even with several layers of the pearl midcoat. My wife came out and said I should have just used Wite Out or nail polish. I didn't even bother sanding and polishing it to look smooth.

Attachments

• touchup small.jpg
    touchup small.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 504
If you are unsatisfied with the result of the touch up paint you can remove the touch up by carefully wet sanding the spot using 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper. (Mask off the area around the touch up area with painters tape to protect the paint around the touch up.)

After seeing many positive reviews, I tried the PPSW touchup paint from TouchUpDirect and it was nowhere close to a match. It was significantly too white even with several layers of the pearl midcoat. My wife came out and said I should have just used Wite Out or nail polish. I didn't even bother sanding and polishing it to look smooth.
Call them they will fix the issue

The sticker might appear a little off - but if you were looking at it on a computer or under non-outdoor lighting.... You may be getting a bad read on it.

Seriously, the touch bottle is like $12. It matches, grab one and put a tiny spot on one of the hidden sections under the door or trunk lids and let it dry. You will be amazed.
I tried the Toyota paint. I found it to be way off, too much to even think about using.

I have a very small paint chip in my front bumper than I want to fix before getting the PPF on my Pearl White MYLR5.

I went to the Tesla site thinking "Who else would have a better paint match than the actual manufacturer?", but then I saw their disclaimer: "Final results of Pearl White may appear slightly different than the rest of your vehicle depending on the lighting environment and application process used."

Is there a consensus on another repair kit that is a better color match for the PPSW, or is the Tesla kit as good as it gets?

I saw other threads where people liked the kit from Touch-Up Direct, but I think those threads were from a few years ago. Wasn't sure if there was a new go-to company for the best match.

Please and thank you.
i am in the same boat with my Model Y. Which one did you end up using? Thanks.

i am in the same boat with my Model Y. Which one did you end up using? Thanks.

Could you describe how it looked different or do you have pics?
besides, which one did you end up using or you think
Sorry for the delay in responding. I did take a couple of pics yesterday. I clearly don't understand the different opions about the Toyota paint. The bottle I used was new, I went by the directions and probably shook it twice as long as the directions said. A few weeks ago I put a drop on one of the welds under the rear trunk hatch. The color hasn't changed. Just want to confirm this was Dupli-color brand 070 Toyota.
20230104_105429.jpg

Last edited: