Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Widget Now Available for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla now has a powerwall specific widget for iOS and MacOS. You have to update the app first and then after you restart your phone you should be able to see the new widget options

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 11.58.33 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_7686.png
    IMG_7686.png
    931.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7684.png
    IMG_7684.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7685.png
    IMG_7685.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using it. Showing Home Power and Home Usage Today. Problem is none of the numbers ever match the app. The battery percentage seems to be always 1% off, the Home Power always seems to be many minutes behind and Home Usage seems to be .1 kWh off also. It's probably an update polling time issue but you think they'd use the same values in the widget as they do the app. It'll probably get better over time.

Not showing up on mine despite latest versions of iOS & Tesla app, and of course a Powerwall. Tried rebooting. I still only see options for adding the car widgets. Do I have to log out of the Tesla app & back in again? (Will this ruin my phone key?)

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. When I add a widget, instead of the screenshot shown above in the OP, where there are 4 dots (2 = vehicle status; 2 = home status), I only have the 2 dots for vehicle status. After adding the widget, I can’t swipe sideways within the widget.
Do you have the latest tesla app on your phone? The other two widget options are only available after you update the app on your phone. Then you have to restart your phone for the widgets to appear as an option

It's possible the latest Tesla app update is not showing by default in the App Store. Pull down when in your account in the App Store to see all the apps that are really available to update.
This. I never get the app update notification from Tesla for some reason. I always have to select the app in the app store itself to see "update", or do the pulldown in the store to have a list of apps that don't show updates

Hopefully they'll improve the widget in upcoming releases to add some more important details to it, like the battery state and grid state.
As someone in the iOS app business, I want to temper folks’ expectations of what Tesla can do based on fundamental limits in iOS.

You will notice that the widgets have a counting “X min, Y sec ago” indicator. This is because iOS does not allow live updates to Widgets(*). The data in the Widgets are “snapshots” of your Powerwall state. At best, a recording of the estimated state being replayed by WidgetKit if Tesla got fancy.

Every time you launch the Tesla app, and on select background refresh events, the Widget is updated. Try it! Look at the Widget’s staleness clock, launch the Tesla app, and look at the widget again.

(*)There is also an ActivityKit way to update widgets, but it only works for 8 hours at a time. And requires a stream of push notifications from Tesla servers. It was meant for a sports event, rather than continuous monitoring. Hopefully, a future iOS will allow for lower frequency continuous ActivityKit notifications, but it would be up to Apple.