Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

powerwall full charged, does not discharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Our system (enphase panels w/ micro-invertors, with one Powerwall 2) went live on July 13th, working fine up until today Sept 29th

the Powerwall is 100% charged, set at 20% backup reserve, Self-Powered mode. Today as the sun was setting I noticed when the demand was greater than solar generated, the system was drawing from the grid rather than the Powerwall. Dark now, still drawing from the grid.

So far I tried
Changing the backup reserve
Changing the mode
Turn off Storm Watch
Power off/on Powerwall with the toggle switch on the powerwall
Off/On the powerwall breaker
Go into "Go Off Grid"

just happened out of the blue, no storms or power surges, nothing unusual to make it stay in standby

Is there a way to fix this?

Screenshot_20230929_184506_Tesla-crop.jpg

What are your settings? E.g. how have you configured your electrical rates / time of use?

There are a few possibilities, including that your system is still populating in Tesla's servers.

All the best,

BG
Thanks for the reply...

Set to Self-Powered mode
20% Backup-reserve

We don't use the Time-based Control, since get charged a flat kWh price, no matter the time or day

I would think our system would have already been populated in Tesla servers. Our system ran fine for 2 months, before the powerwall just quit

Our installer got in remotely and said there were firmware errors

They tried to download new firmware, download failed

Our installer opened a ticket with Tesla.... bad news, Tesla will take up to 14 days to diagnose the issue :(

Our installer got in remotely and said there were firmware errors

They tried to download new firmware, download failed

Our installer opened a ticket with Tesla.... bad news, Tesla will take up to 14 days to diagnose the issue :(

Did YOU contact Tesla powerwall support (not your installer contacting them, you) at their contact phone number (877-961 - 7652 is the one I use, select powerwall support).

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
FYI, Tesla tech came out 11/2, and again today 11/6. 2 visits to determine the powerwall is dead. Now submitting an RMA to get a new one.

Im astonished how slow troubleshooting is. I reported the issue on 9/29

I often feel that Tesla "customer service" is there to delay any actions that might cost the company money, and that was before all the news broke about the department within customer service to kill range complaints.

Not the way I would run a company, but it is definitely WYSIWYG.

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
I have the same problem as OP for about the last week but just noticed yesterday. Going ‘off grid’ works fine so clearly not a wiring problem. I’m on time- based with reserve at 20% so I just put it to 0% but probably won’t help. Time to contact service I guess. I have 3 pw’s stacked so if one is dead it’s potentially complicated to get to it.

The app should really send an alert with this sort of error, regardless of the cause, because many people probably don’t check it much in detail.

I have the same problem as OP for about the last week but just noticed yesterday. Going ‘off grid’ works fine so clearly not a wiring problem. I’m on time- based with reserve at 20% so I just put it to 0% but probably won’t help. Time to contact service I guess. I have 3 pw’s stacked so if one is dead it’s potentially complicated to get to it.

The app should really send an alert with this sort of error, regardless of the cause, because many people probably don’t check it much in detail.
Update, sevice emailed me yesterday (Sunday) and told me to change ‘sell’ price to half of ‘buy’ price (per kWh) under settings, and this seems to have fixed the problem as of today. The problem started 11/1 with the new season. Those prices were always set to the same for both seasons and it was never an issue before.

I don’t really understand buy vs sell price because my utility doesn’t have that afaik and I don’t think others do either. Does anyone understand this or actually have different buy/sell pricing?