Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 UK - off grid charging and backup power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if:

1. The powerwall 2 can charge from the grid on cheap off peak electricity?

2. The powerwall 2 can act as backup during power cuts?

I don't think these features are available yet but wanted to check. Anyone know if they're in the pipeline?

I thought Robert Llewellyn's video (about the PowerWall he bought from the PPI rebate he got :) ) indicated that he was charging on E7 overnight - but he might have been doing that via the APP (manually), or I may have mis-remembered what the YouTube content actually was :(

I think that my circumstances are "some edge cases" that need solving before I install PowerWall (in UK) but I'm keen to press on with that installation as soon as it covers my WishList:

We have max single-phase PV already, but I want to install more (and there is no way on this earth that I'm paying those thieving barstewards the monopoly-inflated extortionate fee for 3-Phase install. Glad I got that off my chest!)

If we install both PV + PowerWall my understanding is that that qualifies for a VAT [EU Sales tax] reduction, whereas PowerWall on its own does not, so I need to extend my PV at the same time.

Apparently?, I could install more PV and direct it solely into the PowerWall(s) so that it cannot get fed back into the grid. Then we discharge from (all the) PowerWalls on-demand within the house.

(I have some admin people working from my house during the day, so we have high day usage, and a number of always-on Servers and IT stuff)

I also need UPS ability (preferable with fast enough switch-over that computers don't reboot). We get enough 3-second power cuts in a year to be annoying (subjective but I think more than one per month would be accurate), which take down all the computers and require we reset all the electric clocks of course (what absolute moron designs an oven that you cannot turn on at all if the clock is flashing 00:00? <sigh>)

And lastly, we also want to install PowerWalls at work. We do have 3-Phase there, and no PV (yet), but initially we want to install PowerWall on just one phase. We have two server rooms (probably not on the same phase, but of course we can fix that) and want them powered when the blinking Electricity infrastructure people allow one of the phases to go down (yes, I'm annoyed about that too, its been happening once or twice a week for the last 6 months ...) Currently we have to trail an extension lead from an adjacent office (on a different phase, natch) to get the servers running, and of course that solution does not work after hours / weekend when people are working from home ...)

In a proper power cut we can send everyone home, and they could carry on working (remotely), if our servers were "up". Currently the servers each have individual UPS, which lasts 30 minutes or so.

Does anyone know if:

1. The powerwall 2 can charge from the grid on cheap off peak electricity? I believe that this should be possible in the UK once the appropriate software/firmware update is available, hopefully in the next few 'Tesla' months.

2. The powerwall 2 can act as backup during power cuts? This could be a longer wait as apart from regulations, additional hardware will also be needed.

I don't think these features are available yet but wanted to check. Anyone know if they're in the pipeline?