Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Sharing between Tesla Universal WC and Tesla WC (NACS only) Gen 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I currently have a TWC Gen 3 on a dedicated 60A breaker. I purchased a "Universal wall connector" so I can charge J1772 EVs (and eventually NACS EVs post-transition) but I wanted to make sure I could enable power sharing between the two.

Someone else on this forum got the J1772 WC and the Gen 3 working together with power sharing, but I've had bad experience with tesla's legacy connectivity (early 2018 Model 3 Performance owner...) Hoping I don't have to sell my Gen 3 WC and get another universal unit since they appear to be limited stock everywhere.

Cheers,
-Zuexs

(FYI This is my first post on the forum, so feel free to redirect me if I posted this in the incorrect place)

I purchased one Gen 3 TWC and one TUWC and have set them up to share power on a single circuit. The units communicate over my WiFi network. There are really no problems. I am charging both a Tesla Model Y and an e-Golf simultaneously.

I just set up the TWC as the primary and added the TUWC to the load sharing during the commissioning process. Then I added both to the Tesla app.

You will find that the installation instructions imply that each connector have a dedicated circuit, but this is not necessary and is likely just to satisfy overly zealous electric code requirements. This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

The only issue I had was that I had to wait for a firmware update to enable a compatibility mode previously absent. Before the update, the TUWC would not charge my 2019 e-Golf for any timed event. Now, though, it is working perfectly. (This was discussed in New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I purchased one Gen 3 TWC and one TUWC and have set them up to share power on a single circuit. The units communicate over my WiFi network. There are really no problems. I am charging both a Tesla Model Y and an e-Golf simultaneously.

I just set up the TWC as the primary and added the TUWC to the load sharing during the commissioning process. Then I added both to the Tesla app.

You will find that the installation instructions imply that each connector have a dedicated circuit, but this is not necessary and is likely just to satisfy overly zealous electric code requirements. This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

The only issue I had was that I had to wait for a firmware update to enable a compatibility mode previously absent. Before the update, the TUWC would not charge my 2019 e-Golf for any timed event. Now, though, it is working perfectly. (This was discussed in New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.)
Thanks for the info.

How did you feed the TUWC off of the TWC? Did you daisy chain using connectors within the unit itself? Or use junction box/connectors (e.g. Polaris) outside of the charger?

Glad to hear the TWC can be the leader, as I am planning on adding a TUWC to an existing gen3 TWC setup.

Upvote 0
I used an external junction box and Polaris connectors to split two lines off of the main coming from the electrical panel . I'm not sure there is enough room within the connector to daisy chain them, and I'm sure it would not be an approved procedure, either by Tesla or electrical code.

Upvote 0