Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Which Finalist State Should Tesla Pick for the Gigafactory?

Which State Should Tesla Choose For the Gigafactory?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going with New Mexico because Tesla had a previous agreement to build the Model S Factory there. New Mexico must had given them a good deal at the time so I'm sure this deal will be as good if not better and will also help make amends for canceling the Model S factory at the last minute. I think it is telling that Tesla had already decided to build in New Mexico in the past.

I'm from Texas and specifically Austin. I may be biased but Texas makes too much sense for me. The area they are looking at is perfect for expansion. We have that waste of a toll road that goes right up to Hutto where they are looking to build the Gigafactory. I don't like Rick Perry but he has consistently driven business to Texas. I think his recent statements indicate he is working to get this factory here. Also, the Austin area has a large well educated workforce and other major businesses are relocating major operations here.

Also, I think having major operations in the 2 most populous states in the US is huge for Tesla. I know Texas lags NV and AZ in renewable production per capita, but things can change quickly.

Lastly, I just really want this factory here! :smile: It's a huge investment and it would be great for the area.

Is there any ETA on when Tesla might make a final decision?

I voted for New Mexico, not because I have any particular belief or disbelief that New Mexico will actually get the factory, but because I hope we see it get built somewhere vaguely in the Santa Fe / Albuquerque area for the purely selfish reason that it might create the possibility for me to work for Tesla at some point in the future.

One reason I can think of that might be a subtle draw - the Sandia and Los Alamos labs look like some concentrations of serious brain power, some of which is devoted to topics like energy storage / batteries, and other scientific endeavors that seem directly related to Tesla's business. Everything else being equal, it's nice to setup shop someplace that has that brain power around.

And maybe New Mexico provides such a positive living environment, that it's an attractive place for people to move.

Vote based on hope - but that's what I got :)