Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your Model S have the "High pitched Whine" under heavy acceleration?

Does your Model S have the "high pitched whine" under heavy acceleration?

• Yes

Votes: 99 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • Other: Please Explain

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now find myself in the same position as bareyb at the start of this thread; anxiously awaiting my car and pouring over the forum for any possible issues. :redface:

Having listened to the recording again, it seems like there are two distinct sounds: The first starts at about 0:06 and builds up before being drown out by the second noise at about 0:08.

The first noise I would describe as the normal winding up of the motor under acceleration (gradually increasing as the motor spins faster).

The second "eeeeeeeeee" noise that cuts in at about 0:08 I would describe as NOT normal because there is no gradual build-up or change in pitch. It just turns on for a while, then turns off again.

I would personally not mind the first noise, but the second could be annoying/embarrassing to deal with.

As mentioned earlier, I don't have the car yet. However, I would prefer Tesla do something about this second, more annoying, noise so it's in the past by the time I get my Model S.

They just released an internal tech note saying this sound is completely normal and NOT to attempt any repair or replacement. Details (tech note) posted in the other high pitch whine thread.

I get the Tesla Balloon Sound (tm) when a) I go above 160KW and b) I am accelerating up hill. This is fairly new, somewhat concurrent with the installation of 5.8.4. I don't find it unpleasant, though and it's a nice little reminder that I am pushing the car fairly hard (other than being slammed into the seat back...).

The second "eeeeeeeeee" noise that cuts in at about 0:08 I would describe as NOT normal because there is no gradual build-up or change in pitch. It just turns on for a while, then turns off again.

I would personally not mind the first noise, but the second could be annoying/embarrassing to deal with.

As mentioned earlier, I don't have the car yet. However, I would prefer Tesla do something about this second, more annoying, noise so it's in the past by the time I get my Model S.

that "eeeeeeeee" is also known as the deflating balloon noise and is normal. It is the sound of full power (electricity) going through the inverter and motor. I'm not sure what is technically making the noise though. It doesn't change pitch or volume as max power output (in amps) stays the same and I can only assume it is the amperage that causes the noise in some way.

EVERY model S I've been in has made the noise.. but I haven't been in a S60 or S85.

that "eeeeeeeee" is also known as the deflating balloon noise and is normal. It is the sound of full power (electricity) going through the inverter and motor. I'm not sure what is technically making the noise though. It doesn't change pitch or volume as max power output (in amps) stays the same and I can only assume it is the amperage that causes the noise in some way.

EVERY model S I've been in has made the noise.. but I haven't been in a S60 or S85.

YES. They replaced my motor inverter and it came back on the 2nd. I guess some have it more noticeably.

I now find myself in the same position as bareyb at the start of this thread; anxiously awaiting my car and pouring over the forum for any possible issues. :redface:

Having listened to the recording again, it seems like there are two distinct sounds: The first starts at about 0:06 and builds up before being drown out by the second noise at about 0:08.

The first noise I would describe as the normal winding up of the motor under acceleration (gradually increasing as the motor spins faster).

Hey Mayhemm. I'm the OP and I've had my P85 for a while now since I started this thread. I DO have the 2nd Balloon Squeal on acceleration SOMETIMES. It seems to come and go and I have to admit, it's not been much of a big deal after all. Now that I've had the car for a while I also don't tend to "Stomp on it" like I did when I first got it (you will probably do the same at first cuz it's freaking awesome) and now it hardly ever happens at all. Under "normal" (non lead foot) driving scenarios it's only happened once or twice. I hope that makes you feel a little better.

Hey Mayhemm. I'm the OP and I've had my P85 for a while now since I started this thread. I DO have the 2nd Balloon Squeal on acceleration SOMETIMES. It seems to come and go and I have to admit, it's not been much of a big deal after all. Now that I've had the car for a while I also don't tend to "Stomp on it" like I did when I first got it (you will probably do the same at first cuz it's freaking awesome) and now it hardly ever happens at all. Under "normal" (non lead foot) driving scenarios it's only happened once or twice. I hope that makes you feel a little better.

Mayhemm, you won't hear the balloon sound for 6 months of the year because it's hard to put >160kW of power to the road in your brutal Sasketchewan winters. :)

Thanks. That does reassure me somewhat. It's one thing to hear somebody say it's not a problem when they were never concerned about it in the first place, and quite another to hear it from someone who shared my concerns in the beginning. The latter carries a bit more weight, IMO. I've test-driven the car twice and it wasn't an issue then. I guess I was more concerned about it getting worse over time.

Mayhemm, you won't hear the balloon sound for 6 months of the year because it's hard to put >160kW of power to the road in your brutal Sasketchewan winters. :)

You said it! This year HAS to be one of the coldest on record. It's been below -25C (-13F) here every night since late November! Won't be able to hear the noise through my tuque. :biggrin:

FWIW, anything that has high voltage/amperage flowing through it is going to squeal a little bit. Think TIG welder.

Just like the statement says directly from Tesla, it is a physical reaction of the metal to vibrate due to the hyper-excited metal molecules having their electrons blasted through them (DC). If you listen closely, you'll hear two pitches: The higher pitch is the inverter which has to switch DC to AC. The second, lower pitch is the motor getting a big fat jolt of power. Those two sounds are a little louder in the P85 due to the larger inverter and its ability to push more juice to the motor.

I'm really glad someone posted the audio... just wish I'd found it sooner, I've been wondering what the h*ll so many people are complaining about. My P85 makes the initial noise but nothing close to the "balloon" squeal at the 8s mark. I wonder if Tesla could fix this with some kind of noise canceling upgrade. Obviously every car is slightly different for some reason but if they recorded the sound in your car the next time it's in for service perhaps they could program something to playback through the cars speakers during various levels of acceleration.

13,500+ miles on the odometer now and it's the same sound from the beginning. Only noticeable if I floor it and have the volume on the stereo down below 5 or so. I actually turn the music off when I'm demonstrating the speed to a first time rider. I think it sounds cool and it's what differentiates between an ICE and an EV. I will note that if I have the sound completely off, I can hear a little bit of an electrical whine even under normal throttle (and even the regen makes noise), but it's faint and doesn't bother me at all. I would NOT remove the sound if I had the option.