Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please, please, please Tesla - could you add intermittent wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automatic wipers just don't work on my model X (or anybody else's AFAIK). We get light rain 7 months out of the year here in the Pacific Northwest. Tesla's plan to use the cameras for auto-wipe is an utter failure in light rain. I drive blind or push the stalk button every few seconds: really irritating.

There are two automatic wiper settings on the stalk rotating switch. The first auto-wipe setting is utterly useless. I can't imagine that first setting has ever worked for anyone. So could Tesla please turn that setting into 'intermittent wipers' and let us use the screen to set the intermittent wiper speed? Or even better, could we optionally select one of the steering wheel thumbwheels to set the intermittent wiper speed? There just has to be some way to get the wipers to work better than they currently do.

I know there are very smart people working at Tesla. Why have the horrible auto-wipers continued as a terrible design element for so long???

Thanks so much. I just ran out to the car and changed that setting. Had never noticed that setting existed and had no luck finding your suggestion here on other postings. Now the two different rotating stalk switch settings make sense: essentially for when you have auto-wipers turned off. I look forward to giving this a try.

I figured out to turn off the auto high beams just a few days after buying my Model X. Sounds like all new owners should be advised they will likely want to turn off both auto wipers and auto high beams. Neither is worth a hoot IMHO

Thanks so much. I just ran out to the car and changed that setting. Had never noticed that setting existed and had no luck finding your suggestion here on other postings. Now the two different rotating stalk switch settings make sense: essentially for when you have auto-wipers turned off. I look forward to giving this a try.

I figured out to turn off the auto high beams just a few days after buying my Model X. Sounds like all new owners should be advised they will likely want to turn off both auto wipers and auto high beams. Neither is worth a hoot IMHO
Both features are working fantastic for me here in Chicagoland.

Reactions: jeffro01
The automatic wipers just don't work on my model X (or anybody else's AFAIK). We get light rain 7 months out of the year here in the Pacific Northwest. Tesla's plan to use the cameras for auto-wipe is an utter failure in light rain. I drive blind or push the stalk button every few seconds: really irritating.

There are two automatic wiper settings on the stalk rotating switch. The first auto-wipe setting is utterly useless. I can't imagine that first setting has ever worked for anyone. So could Tesla please turn that setting into 'intermittent wipers' and let us use the screen to set the intermittent wiper speed? Or even better, could we optionally select one of the steering wheel thumbwheels to set the intermittent wiper speed? There just has to be some way to get the wipers to work better than they currently do.

I know there are very smart people working at Tesla. Why have the horrible auto-wipers continued as a terrible design element for so long???

The long-suffering Karpathy explained @25:25 that the horror of Tesla Autowipers results purely from another superfluous diktat by Musk :

Just imagine the man-hours of engineering talent which have by now been wasted on this incurable mess by that decision?

I will be thankfully following the tip of mknox and just setting it to manual forevermore.

The auto wipers are not the greatest, but the auto high beams are great! My last 3 cars had them and they were terrible. The ones in the Tesla are fantastic. I don't think I have been flashed (or shot at, this is California), by another driver blinded by them.

• Funny
Reactions: posity
The long-suffering Karpathy explained @25:25 that the horror of Tesla Autowipers results purely from another superfluous diktat by Musk :

Just imagine the man-hours of engineering talent which have by now been wasted on this incurable mess by that decision?

I will be thankfully following the tip of mknox and just setting it to manual forevermore.

Anyone else think Andrej is channeling Elon's look.

I e had the same issue with my S (AP1) that anytime I turn them on after about 2 or 3 passes, they always go to high speed, even in a light drizzle.

I will definitely try turning off auto and see if that makes a difference!

I do agree with @jboy210 the auto high beams are great.

The auto wipers and auto high beams work well in our two AP2 vehicles.

The only issue with the wipers is when there is a light rain or misting rain and the wipers don't immediately trigger. It's easy to lightly press the windshield washer button on the end of the stalk to trigger the wipers (without triggering the washer spray) - and once that's done and the windshield is clear, the auto wipers seem to work fine.

It could be the software is assuming the light mist on the windshield is the type of dirt/film that builds up on windshields over time, and not rain, so as to avoid unnecessary wipes of the windshield, they've set the threshold for trigger the first wipe a little too high and the software is correctly detecting the new moisture on the windshield.

This doesn't happen that often - and I'd rather have to trigger the wiper manually for the first wipe during a light rain or mist, than having the wiper blades scrape across a dirty windshield when it would incorrectly believe there is rain to clear...

I e had the same issue with my S (AP1) that anytime I turn them on after about 2 or 3 passes, they always go to high speed, even in a light drizzle.
same here for my MS - here in rain country... The wait-wait-wait-don't-wipe-for-many seconds but then go-crazy-double-speed-wipe in light to medium drizzle is just baffling. Have to often manually press the button on end of stalk to do the job the auto-wiper should do.

The auto-wiper pattern seems to change every few software revisions, but I don't know why it's so hard for them to just get it to work right in light rain (in my AP1 MS). My theory is Tesla engineers have never experienced (nor tested) rain conditions outside of the Bay Area

Ok, just following up here, but I can't find the Auto wiper setting anywhere....I feel like I have been in every tab/menu, but do not see it. Am I blind or just looking in the wrong place?
I stumbled upon this thread via search and at first thought "yes! they finally have a solution to the lousy auto-wipers in my Model S..." but I too couldn't find any such setting that turned off the auto-wipers to just have simple, normal, working intermittent-timed ones. Then I realized this thread is in the Model X forum - so I guess for whatever reason this is a Model X only feature to turn off :(

Interesting - or perhaps just a feature available on AP 2 and above? For those that have the ability to disable, what AP version do you have?

My car was manufactured in May 2018, so it is a MCU2 with AP 2.5.

Knowing Andrej and company I could easily see them using their ML skills to take advantage of the newer systems to make the autowipers better.

I just leave mine on auto, they work great. Still haven't understood what peoples issues are with them, I have absolutely zero complaints in my X... To be clear by leaving on auto it's one tick on the switch up from off.

Jeff

my auto wipers have worked as i've needed to in both rainy swampy louisiana and rainy dreary new england.

But as stated above, turn off autowipers and you will get regular intermittent wipers.

The Auto Wiper feature has been working well for me too.

Does it work the same for you? Do you call it "work great" or "working well"?
Please confirm that it works better for you

My X is May 2018 production.
When I bought Tesla I was under impression that this is a company with good software company practices where it listens to people, but in reality, Tesla is only listening to Elon, I'm waiting for a fix for 7 months now and what I learned is if it's not important for Elon you can all suck it :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjølner