Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help phone key partially setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my model Y for about a month now and have used my pixel 4 xl (priority) with no issues. Phone key immediately worked flawlessly...and i dropped my phone (using nfc on b pillar to lock car) and it broke.

I just got my replacement (another pixel 4 XL). Removed the previous phone from both Bluetooth devices and phone keys (maybe this is the issue?).

My sim is the same but the device is different. I use the tesla app and hit setup phone key. screen just goes blank pops back up and allows control of the car for locking etc. BUT it does not work to allow me to start driving the car or holding to the B pillar as NFC to lock/unlock car. NFC is setup on my phone.

Under security (for setting up sentry mode) it says the phone still hasn't set up phone key yet and when i try from there it gives me the error that the car cannot be found.

In summary, new phone will control the car but wont let me drive the car.

please don't suggest to use airplane mode, reinstall app, turn on/off Bluetooth...I've done all that.

i scoured this and other forums and couldn't find a similar situation. Most are the phone key or app either completely working, sporadically working at different times, or not working at all. I'm always partially working (locking, climate, trunk, start ...but not driving or nfc).

the only thing i think may be happening is the confusion of the same sim but different Bluetooth device and/or me deleting the phone key of the old device. I'm not sure why which is why i need your guys help. THANKS!

ok update: I went to the lock menu on the interface and hit add key. I placed my phone at the key NFC spot and the car prompted me to remove the phone and tap the key to add the phone as a phone key. Now the car recognizes the phone key and allows me to drive and lock the car via NFC B pillar. BUT the app under "security" still says the phone key is not setup however ALL controllable options (locking, climate, charging port access, sentry mode etc) work.

I hope this helps someone else out but this is annoying that the app displays phone key not setup in the security tab and yet still allows me all functions. Will update if anything changes later.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's weird. After your first post, I was going to tell you that you're just logged into the app and you haven't set up your phone as a key yet. When you do this (sorry, I don't know where it's located in the new app, probably under "security") it will ask you to tap one of your keycards on the center console and then you can add your phone as a key -- it's unclear from your second post whether you've done this or not. You'll know your phone has been added as a key because you'll be able to find it listed as a key from within the car's settings on the center screen.

Upvote 0