Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Radar Detector install with switched power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the refresh Model S, the Teslatap connector for radar detectors is a godsend. In all other cars, I always tap into the rearview mirror's dimming power supply, but I definitely did not want to mess with anything around the that area with the Tesla.

Fortunately, it's super easy to run a cable around the driver's side to the charging pad where the Teslatap plugs inline with the power for the wireless charging pad. I didn't even have to remove any of the kick panels to thread the cable between the joints. I only had to pull out the trim panel for the A pillar and popped off the wireless charging pad to run the cable. The charging pad power switching behaves very well for a radar detector and is a very comfortable power source to add any accessories.

It will be super easy to remove everything before taking the car in so the Warranty Sentries at Tesla won't have the pleasure of seeing any mods.

Thank you, Teslatap! Best $30 I have spent in a while.

Reactions: vcor
I use the power at the phone chargers (for 2021+ LR/Plaid only). I've tested it to 2 amps without tripping the e-fuse. Accessory Power Guide 12v/5v – TeslaTap and slide down to "Phone Charger Connector". You do have to run the wire down one of the A-pillars, but it's fairly easy. I used the passenger side.
Yes, the detector draws less than 500mA as that is the fuse rating.

For the refresh Model S, the Teslatap connector for radar detectors is a godsend. In all other cars, I always tap into the rearview mirror's dimming power supply, but I definitely did not want to mess with anything around the that area with the Tesla.

Fortunately, it's super easy to run a cable around the driver's side to the charging pad where the Teslatap plugs inline with the power for the wireless charging pad. I didn't even have to remove any of the kick panels to thread the cable between the joints. I only had to pull out the trim panel for the A pillar and popped off the wireless charging pad to run the cable. The charging pad power switching behaves very well for a radar detector and is a very comfortable power source to add any accessories.

It will be super easy to remove everything before taking the car in so the Warranty Sentries at Tesla won't have the pleasure of seeing any mods.

Thank you, Teslatap! Best $30 I have spent in a while.

How did you make the connection between the powertap and the radar? Which rj11 cable was used?

How did you make the connection between the powertap and the radar? Which rj11 cable was used?

I spiced in a standard telephone cable that is black in color. You can order them online, or buy in stores.

1700923497638.png