Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phrases no longer valid with the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yeah, 3 on the tree. My experience was driving around construction sites during summer jobs in a similar vintage Jeep Wagoneer. My dad had a 1950 Bentley with right hand drive, 4 on the floor. The shifter was just inside the right driver door, a bit odd. I'll miss shifting in the S (just a little). I'm driving my Audi mostly in manual mode now for the last few months of the lease to get my fill...

I don't think I ever understood the true meaning of "four on the floor" and variants. I think as a result of this discussion, it means gears for a manual transmission. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

Exxon Mobile
Shell
BP
gas station
Hugo Chavez et al
pump
and on and on

Pay at the Pump.
Oil change
Lube center
Transmission center
Grease monkey
Radiator
and, God willing, "Have you driven a Ford lately?"

- smoke that (M5)
I thought the smoke was supposed to be from the tires, and so should still be applicable.

Oil change
Lube center
Transmission center
Grease monkey
Radiator
There is still oil in the transaxle that has to be changed eventually. Also the Model S has a radiator (front and center). It dumps heat for the water cooled motor, inverter, and on-board chargers.

Fill her up.
I need to hit the gas station.
Hit the gas.
That car is burning a lot of oil.
That car is smoking.
Gas 'er up.
She's a little low on oil.
She's running on fumes.
10W40
5W30
She's a 4 banger.

Hopefully I haven't repeated a few.

Accessories you won't have to buy:
Fuel additive.
Oil additive/extender/preserver
Synthetic Oil
Air filter
Clogged filter
Oil filter

- - - Updated - - -

Have you checked your oil lately?

Terms and phrases we have used for decades are no longer correct (whether in syntax or verbiage) when discussing a Model S (or any other EV for that fact). For example, one cannot correctly say "step on the gas" or "give it the gas" ... it is simply not right. So here are terms we should not consider valid in this respect:

- step on the gas

- leave her running

- smoke that (M5)

- what do you have under the hood?

- can you give me a jump?

Now hold on - sorry if this has already been mentioned - in theory you can give someone a jump - 12V battery still works. As for smoking the M5 or whatever car, again in theory you could burn rubber from the tires - but you would probably need to do a software hack to get this to work. I agree you certainly aren't 'burning smoke' like with an ICE.

Side note - with DC motors and no traction control - smoking tires is a cinch - happened all the time (but sacrifice your clutch disk / clutch plate, and possibly your axles!)