Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People say I left my car on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked inside a parking structure and this person tells me I left my car on. But for me, I just know that as long as I have my iPhone with me, the car will turn itself off and lock itself. There isn't really a way to "turn it off" like a traditional gas car.

But I think on hot days, if I have the AC running at full blast, I think they are hearing the AC system running. Not the "engine".

Because technically, I don't believe Teslas really make a noise when it comes to engine sound when parked / idle. But people probably assume its a gas car, they hear a ton of windy sound that sounds like a car engine, so they assume I left my car on. Because if people knew EV cars, they don't really have a way to make a sound like a gas car in idle. I don't even know if EV can idle.

But yeah, if I hear something that sounds like an engine, or a huge fan, is that most likely the AC system that is still one but will eventually turn off?

It’s the battery management system (BMS), unless you explicitly have the AC on like with Dog Mode or manually turning it on from the app. The BMS protects the battery from temperature extremes.

Def wasn't on dog mode the day that person said "my engine was still on". Just exiting the car without turning on the AC.

Why does the BMS make that windy sound. Is it a fan to cool down the batteries? Or what is it doint to prevent battery from temperature extreme? I think it's been doing it because its been hot these past few days in So Cal. On normal weather (not hot) days, it usually stays quiet.

The car's management system makes various noises including a fan while the car is off. And if Sentry Mode is turned on and someone walks nearby and triggers it, the car will briefly flash it's headlights as well (marks an event on your display). I sat waiting in a hair salon and watched my car flash it's headlights every time someone walked past. On hot days with cabin overheat protection on you can walk out and here the car's fans etc cycle on and off. Not that uncommon for people not familiar with the car to think you left it on.

I turned on my AC remotely one day when it was really hot. A few people were standing next to the car and heard the AC motor starting and thought the car was going to do something really bad like explode or start driving down the road by itself.

It will take time for the general population to rethink how cars work as the technology keeps changing. It’s only a matter of time before someone calls for their car using enhanced summon and freaks someone out when they see a driverless car heading toward them.