Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf -- any way to make it lay flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For storage, I just take mine off, turn it 90 degrees and put it on the floor of the trunk. Then load stuff on top of it. Mine's a new one so only bends to about 90 degrees anyway. If I'm using the kids seats, it all gets thrown in the garage somewhere.... (major design flaw, IMHO, you should be able to take it all with you somehow)

-m

In the late 80's I got an unbelievable deal on a German-Imported by Ford-Mercury Merkur Scorpio hatchback for my wife. The XR4Ti would have been my preference, but she wanted the Scorpio for its extra space and more cushy ride. Anyway, the (included) parcel shelf in the Scorpio folded over flat and, after lifting the second row's seat bottom forward (on hinges), fit underneath in a space specifically designed for it. It was an elegant and extremely convenient solution. An an aside, the parcel shelf was considerably sturdier than the one currently offered by TM, and looked much better IMHO. In fact, the entire interior was S-Class quality. Unfortunately, the car's electronics were awful and overall performance and reliability dreadful.

Mine didn't fold very flat and then one day when it was on the rear footwell floor ahead of the folded down rear seats, one of the heavy-ish boxes we were loading slipped off the folded rear seat and landed on the shelf, making a bit of a noise. From then on, it folds nearly flat. Doesn't seem to be broken, just "broken in". YMMV.