Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano sunroof crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Tesla replace my windshield last Friday. Rock chip led to a crack. Allstate insurance covered it less the deductible. 2014 P85+ w/ AP1. So Tesla needed to do the windshield replacement since recalibration of the camera and rain sensor were needed.
Anyway, sometime over the weekend, the glass sunroof cracked. No impact marks, Looks like a stress crack. Could it have been related to replacing the windshield?
Any experience with Tesla getting the cracked sunroof replaced? Or replacing a windshield lead to other damage? Appreciate any thoughts.

I got a stress fracture in my pano roof and Tesla replaced it under warranty.

Before you leave the service department make sure they test that it opens and closes properly. Tesla does not make the original version of the pano roof any longer so there are some subtle differences that require hand fitting.

Reactions: Blu Zap
I got a stress fracture in my pano roof and Tesla replaced it under warranty.

Before you leave the service department make sure they test that it opens and closes properly. Tesla does not make the original version of the pano roof any longer so there are some subtle differences that require hand fitting.
Good to know. I've contacted the service Center and sent photos. Hopefully it will work out like it did for you.

Mine's at Paramus today having a cracked pano roof replaced. 128k miles, so way out of warranty. Only $559 for the part, which is quite reasonable.

The loaner they gave me is a 2019 with only 6500 miles on it and has the horrible yellow line around the outside of the MCU screen already. It looks terrible.

Also, the loaner is owned by enterprise and apparently they didn't pony up for AP, so the cruise control keeps trying to run me into the car in front of me. Seems pretty dangerous.

• Informative
How did your sunroof get cracked?

No impact that I'm aware of. It just appeared one day.

0A29EFFB-4216-4910-94DE-605905DAE463.png

Tesla does not make the original version of the pano roof any longer so there are some subtle differences that require hand fitting.
@Blu Zap , really sorry to hear about your windshield and pano roof!

@glide - Since my pano roof is of the same vintage, I'm wondering: what are the "subtle differences that require hand fitting"? Obviously Tesla doesn't sell a new Model S with a pano roof anymore, but why would the replacement glass end up not being the correct dimensions to start with?

@Blu Zap , really sorry to hear about your windshield and pano roof!

@glide - Since my pano roof is of the same vintage, I'm wondering: what are the "subtle differences that require hand fitting"? Obviously Tesla doesn't sell a new Model S with a pano roof anymore, but why would the replacement glass end up not being the correct dimensions to start with?

Something about the angle of the metal piece that slides into the front of the bracket on the roof. I think it is angled differently on the new ones.

The dimensions of the glass are the same

Something about the angle of the metal piece that slides into the front of the bracket on the roof. I think it is angled differently on the new ones.

The dimensions of the glass are the same
Ya, i think there is something with that. I hope they have figured it out. Stress cracks indicate something is wrong.

Great news, Tesla is replacing my sunroof at no charge. They agree it is related to them changing out the windshield. Whew, I don't have to fight it! Now lets see how long it takes for them to order it. Order was placed September 19th.

Paramus replaced mine back in September. Horrible wind noise afterwards. Sounded like I had it on 'vent' when it was closed.

Scheduled another appointment, took another day off, and then they wanted me to pay a diagnostic fee just to look at it? Fought back, they looked at it, added some foam, made some adjustment. It's slightly better, but still sounds like it's open when I'm on the highway.

I'm tiring of making the trek to the service center 3 times for every repair. It's getting old.

Will do whatever adjustment it needs myself this weekend.

FWIW, cost was $559. $500 for the glass, $59 for labor. Should have just bought the part and done it myself, since I'm going to have to fix it myself anyway...

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap and glide