Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof and Hot Phoenix Sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Phoenix, AZ and have a concern about the effects of our hot direct sun on the pano roof of the Model Y. Can anyone living in the hot southwest share your experience with the sun's effects on temperature and glare in the Model Y? Thanks.

According to this video, the MY OEM roof glass does a good job of blocking the heat (the video was made by a pro tinter):

He says he won't tint the MY roof as it could lead to the glass breaking. As i understand it, tinting the roof glass voids the warranty and Tesla will charge to have it replaced if it cracks/breaks.

Upvote 0
:D Search is your friend. There are several threads ongoing about this subject.

The pano roof glass may do a good job of reflecting heat, but hear in the SW, after the glass is fully heat-soaked by the sun (parked car), the heat on the top of passengers' heads is pretty intense. I use the (unattractive!) HeatShield, and it cuts the heat to almost zero. I've had it in and out enough times to confirm it virtually eliminates the radiant heat from the pano roof.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoG
Upvote 0
As mentioned already, a sunshade is the route to go. It's the only option that helps with the physical heat being radiated from that giant piece of hot glass. No amount of tint is going to help with radiated heat.

With that being said, I did enjoy removing mine last week as the temps have finally lowered here.

Upvote 0