Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

paint chrome matte black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am fully aware of wrap and/or dip. I have done both (currently have dip on all chrome). However, I was hoping someone could chime in on actually painting out the chrome. I spoke with a shop that quoted me $750 to black out all chrome with paint (all trim and around side mirrors). That seems cheap, at least compared to what I was expecting. In any event, are there any pros/cons that I should be aware of with chrome painted out vs dipped (besides the obvious permanence)?

ok, so

CON:
more difficult to fix
potential for uneven color

I think there's that potential with dip as well for uneven color. But if it's a good paint shop, you shouldn't have to worry about it. I do agree it's more difficult to fix if damaged though.

I would recommend wrap since it would give the most even coloration throughout and is also least likely to be damaged/easier to fix

I would actually recommend the dip more myself. I wrapped my chrome trim the same time I dipped my license plate frame. The license plate frame is peeling now and will need a refresh (~1 year/20,000 miles) the chrome trim is also starting to peel/lift in some spots. The difference is that I can refresh the dip myself for a cost of $5 vs replacing the section of wrap for $100.

Back to the OP, if you already know you like the look and won't change it; painting it permantely is the way to go. You won't have to worry whether or not you can go through car wash; starting to peel and getting dirt under; removal at certain intervals, etc.

If you don't have a desire to change it again; it really eliminates the pro's of either dip or wrap. Especially on trim that won't see much rock/debris damage.

• Helpful
Reactions: MGMDaware
I think there's that potential with dip as well for uneven color. But if it's a good paint shop, you shouldn't have to worry about it. I do agree it's more difficult to fix if damaged though.

I would actually recommend the dip more myself. I wrapped my chrome trim the same time I dipped my license plate frame. The license plate frame is peeling now and will need a refresh (~1 year/20,000 miles) the chrome trim is also starting to peel/lift in some spots. The difference is that I can refresh the dip myself for a cost of $5 vs replacing the section of wrap for $100.

Back to the OP, if you already know you like the look and won't change it; painting it permantely is the way to go. You won't have to worry whether or not you can go through car wash; starting to peel and getting dirt under; removal at certain intervals, etc.

If you don't have a desire to change it again; it really eliminates the pro's of either dip or wrap. Especially on trim that won't see much rock/debris damage.
Yes, that's why I am considering painting. The wrap I had on my old s was nice, but when/if it peeled, it was a hassle to repair. With dip I can do the touch ups myself. However, as we all know ... The side mirrors are a pain in the ass. It always seems to fail there first. That's my drive for chrome paint.

I guess I could just have the side mirrors painted and leave the rest dipped. Might be the best of both worlds, at least in my case.

A good wrap place using a high quality wrap shouldn't peel and should have a warranty. Being able to fix dip yourselves is a legit advantage though

A good wrap place using a high quality wrap shouldn't peel and should have a warranty. Being able to fix dip yourselves is a legit advantage though

Not normaly peeling, but the mirrors are still a pain point for wraps. Especially if you choose to continue using the auto fold and take them through automatic car washes that slaps it around like I do. Most of the wrap on the car holds fine; but the once an edge starts to peel and dirt gets under; it's only a matter of time.

Yes, that's why I am considering painting. The wrap I had on my old s was nice, but when/if it peeled, it was a hassle to repair. With dip I can do the touch ups myself. However, as we all know ... The side mirrors are a pain in the ass. It always seems to fail there first. That's my drive for chrome paint.

I guess I could just have the side mirrors painted and leave the rest dipped. Might be the best of both worlds, at least in my case.

I'm actually going to move to full perm paint once I exhaust my spray cans. If you're going to get the mirrors done, you might as well have them do the rest of the trim. It's probably an incremental cost to do it all at once. And once you do the mirrors permantly; I doubt you'll go back and change your trim back to chrome without having to repaint your mirrors again anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: MGMDaware