Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific NW - Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to do Portland->San Francisco in a couple weeks. Folks in southern California often mention the SCs being full on weekends, but has anyone seen that for the I5 route (Corning/Shasta/Grants Pass/Eugene)? I'm guessing not since the density of Tesla's is much less once you get north of San Francisco, but I figured I'd ask around and see. Or issues with ICE'ing.

I'm about to do Portland->San Francisco in a couple weeks. Folks in southern California often mention the SCs being full on weekends, but has anyone seen that for the I5 route (Corning/Shasta/Grants Pass/Eugene)? I'm guessing not since the density of Tesla's is much less once you get north of San Francisco, but I figured I'd ask around and see. Or issues with ICE'ing.

I did an April spring break trip from Seattle to the Bay area and had no problems getting a Supercharging spot at the four charges you listed above. They were always open, anywhere from fully open to about 50% used. I also was able to connect up to I could charge at the maximum rate (in other words I was able to find a charger where no one else was using an A/B head). You should have no problem getting a charge when you pull in. No issues with ICE'ing on those chargers that we experienced.

As we were closer towards the Bay area, the chargers were utilized more, but we never had to wait for a charging spot, but at the Tesla Factory, when we pulled in just before 5:00pm, shortly after we pulled in the Supercharging slots all filled up there. You'll really enjoy the drive. Beautiful scenery on that drive and some fun areas to drive through.

<I'm about to do Portland->San Francisco in a couple weeks. Folks in southern California often mention the SCs being full on weekends, but has anyone seen that for the I5 route (Corning/Shasta/Grants Pass/Eugene)? I'm guessing not since the density of Tesla's is much less once you get north of San Francisco, but I figured I'd ask around and see. Or issues with ICE'ing.>

I recently did that route, coming and going. I never saw another Tesla at a supercharger. When I got to Gilroy, it was packed (only one or two open spots on a Sunday and Tuesay). Vacaville was also busy.

I've been through several times, most recently a month ago. Springfield seems susceptible to ICEing when events are held in the banquet hall of the motel. On a Wednesday noon 1/2 the spots were taken. Just this morning apparently all but one of the chargers were blocked at 8:30. Complaints don't seem to register with the management there.

I just returned yesterday from our fourth round trip, Seattle - Bay Area. We clearly saw more Teslas at the superchargers this time than we saw on previous trips (six at Centralia), but we never had to wait to get a spot. We saw no ICEing, unless you count the family that pulled its van in for about five minutes to take a picture.

How about a poll to register which is the nicest of these supercharger sites? I vote for Mt. Shasta: lovely little grassy area with a stream and a picnic bench, in a little hollow so it's safe to run the dog. The Best Western there looks pretty good, and I found its restaurant to be quite good also, plus there is a Black Bear Diner close by. Spectacular view of the mountain.

How about a poll to register which is the nicest of these supercharger sites? I vote for Mt. Shasta: lovely little grassy area with a stream and a picnic bench, in a little hollow so it's safe to run the dog. The Best Western there looks pretty good, and I found its restaurant to be quite good also, plus there is a Black Bear Diner close by. Spectacular view of the mountain.

I agree with that assessment of Mt. Shasta! It was fun to walk into town, too, and window shop the funky stores. It is actually the only site with some character. I wish they all could be like that!

My money is on The Dalles!

You bet your money wisely!

- - - Updated - - -

Montana seems to have a permit lookup system similar to Oregon's here. I didn't find anything in Billings. Enterprising sleuths can keep watch for Billings (or perhaps Lockwood across the river) and then eventually Missoula, Butte, Big Timber, and Hardin (if Tesla's 2014 dots are to be believed).

That does, indeed, look like the Dalles but I would hope that they go a few miles east to Biggs Junction because Highway 97 goes through there.

The Montana coming soon dot is definitely Butte. er, Billings, though

Just to be a negative kind of guy, right now it looks the SC team went out to lunch and didn't return. Not a whole lot of SCs are coming on line these days,

Last edited:
I am delighted to see the pending SC deployments on the East side of the Columbia Gorge (The Dalles, Oregon ?) and the one in Montana. My guess based on the map the Montana dot represents Billings. Also I am very disappointed to see the Oregon Trail, I-84, across Eastern Oregon and Southern Idaho to Salt Lake City fall off the 2014 target list.

Also the SC team must have gone to lunch in Europe. Lots of dots are showing up there. Overall the total SC locations continues to climb about 10 per month, so I think they are working their tails off.

Last edited:
Also I am very disappointed to see the Oregon Trail, I-84, across Eastern Oregon and Southern Idaho to Salt Lake City all off the 2014 target list.

How frequently do people travel this way? I know quite a few people interested in driving up and down I5 (and I'm thinking among all my friends, not just Tesla owners). But very few who'd drive to SLC and beyond...

How frequently do people travel this way? I know quite a few people interested in driving up and down I5 (and I'm thinking among all my friends, not just Tesla owners). But very few who'd drive to SLC and beyond...

I was looking forward to taking a western mountain loop from Rapid City to the Grand Canyon, up through Moab and home through Boise. Guess that's not going to happen for a lot longer now.

I am delighted to see the pending SC deployments on the East side of the Columbia Gorge (The Dalles, Oregon ?) and the one in Montana. My guess based on the map the Montana dot represents Billings. Also I am very disappointed to see the Oregon Trail, I-84, across Eastern Oregon and Southern Idaho to Salt Lake City fall off the 2014 target list.

Also the SC team must have gone to lunch in Europe. Lots of dots are showing up there. Overall the total SC locations continues to climb about 10 per month, so I think they are working their tails off.
I go this way at least once or twice a year.