Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whitman Hotel would be the only one roughly within walking distance of the real central downtown core, right? I thought the Whitman Hotel only allowed guests to use the destination chargers.... though I do wonder if lunch there would allow for use of one.
There is a Tesla unit (not Supercharger) on the Whitman College campus. I’ll see if I can get there sometime soon and post a pic and specific location. About two blocks from the east side of the ‘main’ downtown.

IMG_2123.jpg
IMG_2124.jpg
Four (4) alt-fuel parking spots in the General Parking lot on Whitman College's campus. Looks to be a Tesla-branded [wall?] charger situated nicely between two spots. A public lot with free charging. :D The lot is on Park Street between Boyer Ave. and Alder Street. About a 5 minute walk to the core of Main Street.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
View attachment 438991 View attachment 438992 Four (4) alt-fuel parking spots in the General Parking lot on Whitman College's campus. Looks to be a Tesla-branded [wall?] charger situated nicely between two spots. A public lot with free charging. :D The lot is on Park Street between Boyer Ave. and Alder Street. About a 5 minute walk to the core of Main Street.

Awesome! Would you say the walk is safe/easy to do? (I mean in the sense of no highways to cross or parts of road without sidewalks, etc)

I wonder how powerful that Tesla charger is...

You don't see this every day!
confused-smiley-013.gif

Who wants to claim ownership of this "creation"?
biggrin.gif

Saw it parked in the Covington, WA Costco this afternoon...
ononono.gif

EDIT: Yeah, that flag IS strapped to this NA Miata...

M4b4.jpg

Prior to obtaining my Model 3, I owned a 2006 "NC" for 13 years and once was a mod on the miata.net forum...

mx5.jpg

Last edited:
@acarney *very* safe walk... great sidewalks all the way, and only two streets to cross - both at controlled, residential-type intersections.

I'll try to do some recon to see what the rating on the connection is. If I can't tell from the unit itself, I can contact someone in the Facilities group on campus that might have more info. (I'm hoping I'm in the early-ish group of Model Y deliveries next year)

Reactions: acarney
Upcoming Model 3 SR+ Blue on White owner (still working with Tesla... I just want my car now! LOL)

I've got pretty much all the accessories ordered... but what about detail products?!

Anyone have a good recommendation for a reasonably priced foam gun to hook to a power washer (I have a1500 psi model), a good soap that really builds up thick foam that clings on, and then some kind of gloss enhancer or "instant detail" solution to really make the paint shine?

I'm going to do full front PPF and I think I'm going to hold off on ceramic or anything until I can save up more for PPF of the rest of the car in the spring. It's garage kept and usually just driven around town, so I'm not toooooo worried about the paint on non-leading edges, but would rather PPF it to make washing easier (no worries of swirls) down the road.

Until the spring though I want to be ultra gentle but also have that beautiful deep wet/gloss look that some ceramic coats can provide...

Also, anyone have any good recommendations for protection for the white interior seats? I know Tesla has designed them to resist stains and clean up well, but I wouldn't mind applying something that will help keep them from wearing down and keeping them easy to clean for years to come. I also don't want a product that will dull them though...

I’ve been using hydrosilex kit lately and like the results. Previously I was using Adams and Chemical Guys products but it seems that quality has gone down as production has increased for both brands.

I’ve been using hydrosilex kit lately and like the results. Previously I was using Adams and Chemical Guys products but it seems that quality has gone down as production has increased for both brands.

I actually want to avoid ceramic coats right now since hopefully down the line (within the first year) I can get the car fully PPFed, I just don’t have the $5k to drop right now in one go. From my understanding ceramic coating really isn’t wise if you think you might get a PPF at some point. You have to remove the ceramic coating which is really labor intensive. I’m just looking for a *cheapish* foam cannon to use with my pressure washer and a soap that is ultra foaming. Then some gloss builder or enhancer for those nice sunny days that I feel like making it glow. I’m not tooooo worried about protecting the rest of the car right now since I do plan to drop it off for a full front PPF right away.

hopefully down the line (within the first year) I can get the car fully PPFed, I just don’t have the $5k to drop right now in one go.
Adding PPF "later" isn't recommended. Best to do it before the vehicle surfaces already have issues from driving.

I'm not an expert in this area. Just passing along what my detailer said. (We have two vehicles, one with PPF and the other without -- for the reason described above.)

Reactions: Richt
Adding PPF "later" isn't recommended. Best to do it before the vehicle surfaces already have issues from driving.

I'm not an expert in this area. Just passing along what my detailer said. (We have two vehicles, one with PPF and the other without -- for the reason described above.)

Ya, I just can't afford $5k for it right now. I'm getting basically all the leading edges covered with PPF. (Full front, side skirts, mirrors) right off the bat. Then I'll save up again and get the rest done. The car is garage kept and 90% of my driving is 35 mph or slower and usually 100 miles or less a week. I figure swirls are going to be my largest issue on the rest of the car (doors, and trunk area) so if I can keep those away or at least down to a minimum by April or so I don't think it'll be toooo bad when I take it in for the rest to get PPF.

I actually want to avoid ceramic coats right now since hopefully down the line (within the first year) I can get the car fully PPFed, I just don’t have the $5k to drop right now in one go. From my understanding ceramic coating really isn’t wise if you think you might get a PPF at some point. You have to remove the ceramic coating which is really labor intensive. I’m just looking for a *cheapish* foam cannon to use with my pressure washer and a soap that is ultra foaming. Then some gloss builder or enhancer for those nice sunny days that I feel like making it glow. I’m not tooooo worried about protecting the rest of the car right now since I do plan to drop it off for a full front PPF right away.

Hydroselix is actually just a silica soap. It’s just marketed as a ceramic/to restore ceramics because they are trending right now.

Does anyone know what the supercharger rate is for Washington state? Does it vary by location? Can’t seem to find the info on Tesla’s website...
$0.28/kWhr.

======

Went to the Gorge to see Mumford and Sons! It was awesome. Afterwards on the way back to the car, we were herded by the crowd in the wrong direction. The app with the GPS location of the M3 guided us straight back to the Tesla! The people in my group were actually arguing with me that they didn't think the car was where I was leading them, that their feet hurt, that the direction I was taking them in didn't look familiar, and that they thought the grass was too long where we were (compared to where we had parked). We passed by several people who were wandering around despairingly trying to find their car. Science and technology for the win! Supercharged quickly on the way to the Gorge in Ellensburg - a little crowded, so we just charged enough to get us there and back again. Supercharged on the way back for a longer time, playing Asteroids and Centipede while we waited.

Has anyone taken their M3s out to the peninsula? I know there is a SC in Port Angeles if you're looking to do Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics but it looks a little dicey if you want to go out to the Washington coast. Trips up to the North Cascades are also a definite use-case for me and I'm trying to gauge how much difference a SR+ vs LR would make a difference here.

Has anyone taken their M3s out to the peninsula? I know there is a SC in Port Angeles if you're looking to do Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics but it looks a little dicey if you want to go out to the Washington coast. Trips up to the North Cascades are also a definite use-case for me and I'm trying to gauge how much difference a SR+ vs LR would make a difference here.

Tesla has put a chain of SC all the way up US 101 from Southern California to Port Angeles. Climbing Hurricane Ridge shouldn't be a problem, even in a SR. Remember you recover energy on the way back down, especially if you have regen set to Normal. Here is someone who drove to the top of Haleakala in Hawaii and he got -246 Wh/Mi on the way down.
The Road to Haleakala Crater - Maui, Hawaii

Going up and back down a mountain again loses some energy due to friction, air resistance, etc., but you do get a fair chunk of it back. In Europe there is a mine at the top of a mountain with one of those giant dump trucks that collects ore and brings it down. They switched to an electric truck and ran into an unusual problem. Because the truck is going up the mountain empty and coming down with a load of ore, they end up with too much regen. They start the day with just enough charge to get the truck up the mountain once, then it charges all day moving loads and at night they need to plug in the truck to drain the battery back to the grid. There was a Fully Charged video on it a couple of years back.

Where a LR makes the biggest difference is on long road trips. An LR allows you to skip more superchargers and spend less time charging. It also helps you get through some supercharger deserts like SE Oregon. When I took a trip to California in 2016 the superchargers were spaced for S 60s and I ended up having to stop a number of times with 30-40% charge because I didn't have the range to skip one. Now they are much more common in California so I can pick and choose where to stop, but on I-5 in Oregon they haven't added any new ones yet (except the urban one in Portland) so I still have that problem getting through Oregon. Roseburg would be perfect for my S 90D coming from just north of Portland. I don't quite have enough range to make Grants Pass without a stop somewhere along the way. The map has been showing a Roseburg supercharger coming for the last year. Hopefully soon.