Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA Turnpike finally getting chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In PA: use plugshare, select only high-power stations, you'll see them. Some are "coming soon", but a couple are live like this one:

Sheetz Store - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

Sheetz and Wawa are two reasons I love my move to PA. Now I've got another reason to go back to sheetz.

From official Tesla forum:

Greetings all! This is Carl from the PA Turnpike public-relations office. I wanted to clarify that we are installing multiple Level III stations at all 17 service plazas by the end of the calendar year; we started with the Level IIs, but will begin Level III installation this summer. Sorry we did not clarify that detail in the online article! Any questions, please email me, [email protected].

Awesome to hear. Bring on the electrification! I'm pretty comfy with most of my travels, but having options is a great thing.

These CHAdeMOs are all built by Eaton, right here Cranberry. I took my car up there a year ago, and they were all pleased as punch to see her. "Let us build you an adapter", they said.

Why wouldn't Tesla partner with them to permanently affix an adapter to all of these units? This would be cheap for Tesla, and would exponentially expand fast-charging capabilities. Yes, we might have to pay for the convenience...but wouldn't it be worth it?

Did they build you one?

No I never followed up on that...the Cranberry Supercharger is less than a mile from their office. Though perhaps I should check back with them, now that PATurnpike and Sheetz may be offering CHAdeMO.

If only we could get Fast Charging *and* sift pretzels from WaWa...

No I never followed up on that...the Cranberry Supercharger is less than a mile from their office. Though perhaps I should check back with them, now that PATurnpike and Sheetz may be offering CHAdeMO.

If only we could get Fast Charging *and* sift pretzels from WaWa...

baby steps.

Yes, if they put those in (chademo), I'll join the list hitting Tesla up for an adapter. Chademo will give us about the level of charge as the HPWC, correct? Greater than J1772, less than supercharger.

If they want much Tesla business, then they should buy and securely locate a Tesla adapter at each site. This is much more efficient than each Tesla owner buying an adapter and carrying it around.

I might be an exception, but I made sure to get the adapters I thought I'd regularly need, and keep them in the trunk with the mobile connector.

I might be an exception, but I made sure to get the adapters I thought I'd regularly need, and keep them in the trunk with the mobile connector.

The CHAdeMO adapters are $1000 apiece, and not yet available. It would be much easier for Eaton or the site owners (PA Turnpike and Sheetz) to simply include one at each charger location. The only difficulties I see are how to keep the adapter secured. Perhaps you would "check out" with a credit card, and be charged if you didn't return the adapter?

Last edited:
The CHAdeMO adapters are $1000 apiece, and not yet available. It would be much easier for Eaton or the site owners (PA Turnpike and Sheetz) to simply include one at each charger location. The only difficulties I see are how to keep the adapter secured. Perhaps you would "check out" with a credit card, and be charged if you didn't return the adapter?

Except for vandalism concerns, it looks like the adapter would be pretty easy to secure with a cable through the big handle.

CHAdeMO Adapter.jpg

That is precisely what I was thinking, if it would work space-wise. On the Eaton CHAdeMO chargers, the cable is actually stored behind a door. They could keep the adapter in there somehow, attached to a chain or cable, if there was room.

Otherwise, you might have to keep the adapter inside the venue, behind the counter. Less than ideal situation, obviously.

Here is a picture of the Eaton CHAdeMO...you can see the closed Cabinet off to the side. I really have to wonder if Tesla hasn't already thought of this expansion possibility, and perhaps designed the adapter that way for this specific purpose. Seems like this would be a cheap way to expand the network. It's akin to building a half-powered single-stall Supercharger for $1000.

Eaton 50KW CHAdeMO.JPG