Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - Parking Assist Disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that thread says that the new off is the old nightly?

That would be unfortunate, assuming they keep the 10pm-5am hours.

Scenario: I go out for dinner, stay at the restaurant past 10pm. Get back in my car and have to wait for it to boot till I can drive away.
If I parked in a sketchy neighborhood, that would be less than ideal...

Instead of just removing the Nightly option, how about also removing ON and OFF, and giving two simple options to toggle Energy Savings based on time of day:

1. Turn on at: [user-defined hour:minute]
2. Turn off at: [user-defined hour:minute]

That way you can have just these 2 settings for all scenarios with much more granularity and user-specific options. Examples:

A) Always off:
1. Turn on at 12:00 am
2. Turn off at 12:01 am

B) Always on:
1. Turn on at 12:01 am
2. Turn off at 12:00 am

C) User-specific:
1. Turn on at 11:30 pm (or whatever pleases you)
2. Turn off at 6:30 am (or whatever pleases you)

Scenario: I go out for dinner, stay at the restaurant past 10pm. Get back in my car and have to wait for it to boot till I can drive away.

Instead of just removing the Nightly option, how about also removing ON and OFF, and giving two simple options to toggle Energy Savings based on time of day:

1. Turn on at: [user-defined hour:minute]
2. Turn off at: [user-defined hour:minute]

That way you can have just these 2 settings for all scenarios with much more granularity and user-specific options. Examples:

A) Always off:
1. Turn on at 12:00 am
2. Turn off at 12:01 am

B) Always on:
1. Turn on at 12:01 am
2. Turn off at 12:00 am

C) User-specific:
1. Turn on at 11:30 pm (or whatever pleases you)
2. Turn off at 6:30 am (or whatever pleases you)

Your scenario would also be solved with "NIGHTLY at/when HOME".

Your idea for user-definable "night" hours is just fine with me.

But until Tesla gives us something like that, I think a good work-around for the scenario you present above would be for you to wake your car with your app shortly before you get to it. I'm pretty sure that would solve at least that one particular problem. Again, user-definable night settings would definitely be the way to go, but we're probably not likely to see those any time soon.

Mine came on after about 2 hours after downloading .139
Was told to reboot the steering wheel.
Then when that didn't work was told to try turning the power off.
Then was told they would try to resend the update. I never saw that they tried this....instead they then told me to call a local SC.
It's been 6 calls now locally and 5 to California and I still have the exact same error message and my parking sensors are indeed not active.
Are some some software issues that can be resolved from an over the air firmware update and others that require you to be physically at a Service Center?
I was hoping for a Haldenser Happy Camper outcome.

Something similar happened to me this morning

This morning around 8:45, I got into my car to go visit a client.

The car was unresponsive for a second or two, and then I received the green message saying that the car was powering up. The touchscreen was blank. I have received this message before, but very infrequently (maybe 4 times in 20 months.) In the past it takes from 5-10 seconds to power up fully, and the touchscreen is active.

This time, this delay went on for approximately 3 minutes, so I felt there was some sort of glitch. I rebooted using the spinny wheels. When the car rebooted, I received this "Parking Assist Disabled" orange cautionary picture, and the side mirrors did not open. The touchscreen was finally on. Hmmm.

So, I decided to call tech support. While I was on hold, I thought that maybe I have to exit the car and let the systems shut down again before everything will be working appropriately. I returned to the car about 5 minutes later, got in, and still had the same message. By then tech support was on the phone, and the representative had me reboot the touchscreen once more. This time it worked; the message vanished, and the mirrors opened to their appropriate position.

I drove away scratching my head.

About an hour later, I received a pop-up message on my Iphone that the software update failed. About an hour after that, I received notification that there was a software update ready for installation, which I subsequently installed when I returned home. The pre-set time for installation was for 9:00 tomorrow morning.

I had not driven my car in over two days. So, am I correct in assuming that sometime in that interval that Tesla distributed this most recent software update to me, and that the imputed installation time was sometime around 8:30 or so this morning? So, when I entered the car it was during this update process, and I interrupted it, causing the malfunction?

I did not knowingly receive any notification on my phone that there was a software update.

All notifications on my cell phone look the same--whether the fact that my car finished charging at 05:23, or the 80% notification, or the "software availability" notice. Perhaps Tesla should tweak the format of the software update notice--increase the font size, or require confirmation of the notice before the automatic start occurs.

This is my problem, but I have gotten to ignoring the daily ritual of looking carefully at the notification on my phone that my car completed charging at such-and-such time. I just open my phone to vanquish that notice. I doubt that I am the only owner who does this as a matter of rote every morning.

While this in and of itself is not a big deal to me, there was that oh S---! moment when there was something wrong with the car.

I had not driven my car in over two days. So, am I correct in assuming that sometime in that interval that Tesla distributed this most recent software update to me, and that the imputed installation time was sometime around 8:30 or so this morning? So, when I entered the car it was during this update process, and I interrupted it, causing the malfunction?

I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that is what caused your problem. The reason I say that is I don't believe a software update will ever take place without your acknowledging it.

That's unfortunately not true. One example I can think of is the automatic update that disabled AP (or at least autosteer) in Hong Kong.

OK. Yes, that is true. I was referring, though, to the kind of generic, normal OTA firmware update we all get regularly. I am correct that those require us to OK them, right? The poster's update would not have started on its own just because he wasn't at his car for a couple of days, right?