Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because unlike some of the other posters, I believe it WILL have a positive effect on the longevity of the electronics and interior.
I suppose I am confused about overheat protection then. My car is getting PPF/Tint as we speak and am picking it up this evening. I only have had about 50 miles and about ten hours in the car figuring the electronics out.

In all seriousness, couldn’t you set up a schedule to have the cabin cool down an hour before leaving work and have it nice and cool or hot depending on the day?

Also have there been problems with owners leaving the cabin overheat off in hot climates?

In all seriousness, couldn’t you set up a schedule to have the cabin cool down an hour before leaving work and have it nice and cool or hot depending on the day?
Maybe, but overheat protection doesn't do much for that anyway. If I want to get into a cool car, I just trigger the climate control from the app as I leave my office. I use Overheat Protection to protect the electronics and interior. I'm pretty sure that IS the intent of the feature, not personal comfort or protecting children or animals that should never be left in the car anyway.

Maybe, but overheat protection doesn't do much for that anyway. If I want to get into a cool car, I just trigger the climate control from the app as I leave my office. I use Overheat Protection to protect the electronics and interior. I'm pretty sure that IS the intent of the feature, not personal comfort or protecting children or animals that should never be left in the car anyway.
Gotcha. Still learning about the new car and I certainly appreciate your advice!

I too think Tesla added that clause about protecting children/animal left in the car is added to mask the real function of the in-cabin overheat protection. Since for liability issue it can't outright say "turn this on if you want to protect the electronics and interior".

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Also the back of the touch screen while the car is on is always hot, which make sense because I have AMD and they run hot. Not sure about Intel chipped cars.

The back of the touchscreen being warm isn't related to the MCU processor. The MCU lives in the dash behind the glovebox and is liquid cooled as part of the rest of the vehicle's component cooling loop.