Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OT: RAV4 EV to fill 'gap' while waiting... and waiting... for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a thread about the 1998-2003 Toyota RAV4-EV HERE.

It was Toyota's 90's compliance car for California (so few people outside of California have heard of it). Never got as much attention as the EV-1, but it was a GREAT car. NIMH batteries hung underneath, so no cargo space intrusion. My Mom had an almost identical gas version; the electric had better ride and handling, and of course was smoother, quieter, and far cheaper to operate. The electric was faster around town, the gas faster at highway speeds. Top speed was limited to 79mph. It had a heat pump for HVAC, and until 2003 they had heated seats and windshield.

I sold mine when our Model S arrived over a year ago. It was about 10 years old when I sold it; it still went easily over 100 miles - I picked up my inlaws and took them to the airport and returned home; 78 miles used just under 2/3 of the battery. It wasn't really fast (neither was the gas version); it only had a 50kW motor. Toyota didn't bother programming out the low-speed cogging. But it was a very useful and reliable vehicle; all we ever did was replace tires and wiper blades. It used an inductive paddle charger; obviously there were no stations installed here in WA, so for the four years we owned it, my wife just charged it in the garage and took the Roadster if she needed more range.

(Mine also had a conductive hack in to the regen system; it came with a 50A Manzanita Micro charger with adapters for 110V, 240V dryer and campground outlets, and I got a J1772 adapter once those started getting installed. I did use the dryer outlet at my Mom's a couple of times, largely just to test it as I could have taken the Roadster).

Toyota started leasing them in 1998. To their credit, in 2002 when they were complaining about low sales, Plug In America pointed out they should try selling them outright, rather than just leasing them - and Toyota did that in late 2002. However, in April 2003 CARB rules changed, and Toyota stopped selling them the next day. In 2005 they started calling back cars and crushing them like GM; it didn't get caught on film so fewer people remember that. Plug In America couldn't stop GM from crushing the EV-1s, but we did finally reach an agreement with Toyota - they stopped crushing about halfway through, and pledged to let lease customers keep leasing as long as they like. They stuck to their promise. Very few were returned until the Leaf became available; since then quite a few have been lease returns - and Toyota still crushes them. (Not all of them; for example I think a few went to Portland, OR for some sort of test).

Here was ours the day we sold it (it went to somebody in LA that already had one - he wanted a second one for his wife):

IMG_4716.jpg

Even when they are not trying, Toyota makes a good car. Too bad they are not trying on electrics. I had some interest in the new RAV4-EV at first (another practical-but-not-too-big vehicle with over 100 miles of real range), but Toyota is going so far out of their way to not sell it and slow down EVs that I think I am just going to avoid the brand entirely.

Last edited:
^^^
I saw at least one of the 1st gen Rav4 EVs running around in/around Redmond, WA when I was last living up there between late 09 and mid-2011.

One day I was at the now defunct Stadium Nissan in Seattle when Leafs were still pretty new. A family was there picking up their new Leaf and some of them had driven there in their 1st gen Rav4 EV that was parked outside. They mentioned to me the small # that existed in WA, somewhere in the single digits, IIRC.

An owner of one here in CA showed me some Engrish in the car. There was a label that said "service prug". :)

As far as I know, there was once 5 of them in WA:

Mine, in Redmond.
Tomsax's in Sammamish (he is Plug In America's Chief Science Officer).
Dan Davids' in Woodinville (he is Plug In America's Board Chairman).
A couple from San Diego moved to Port Angeles and brought theirs with them. I found their web site, but the Contact Me button didn't work so I've never talked to them.
A Toyota dealer in Everett supposedly had one. I left him a couple of messages, but never got a call back.

Tom and Dan still have theirs (and they both bought Leafs, so you probably saw one of them at Stadium Nissan). Not sure about the others. I kind of wish I still had mine...but then I wouldn't have the Roadster, so I guess I am OK.

I have driven a 2012 RAV4-EV. After a Tesla, it is kind of disappointing - ride, handling, speed are definitely downgrades if you are used to a Model S (I had driven a Model S to the Bay area, and then drove Jay Friedland's RAV4 - he is a Plug In America board member too). But it was a great upgrade from my 2003. It is faster and has more range than any non-Tesla EV, and the RAV4 is a pretty practical car - great interior room (for 4 plus cargo, anyway - the 5th person would be squeezed) in a reasonable footprint. And the batteries once again hang down from the bottom, where they belong. Once again Toyota has put out a really nice car; too bad they don't want to sell it.

A lot of automakers are moving slowly on EVs. That's OK, not every automaker needs to be a leader. But here's what bugs me about Toyota: while other automakers are moving slowly because they are trying to figure out how to incent reluctant dealers; Toyota is actually trying to stop any dealers that get excited about supporting EVs. They only offer them in 4 metro areas in CA, will only make a fixed number, and are doing everything they can to keep them from being sold or serviced outside of CA. Ensuring the numbers stay low ensures they will lose money on them - but that's worth it because then they can continue to argue that "nobody wants them" based on the numbers.

Last edited:
As far as I know, there was once 5 of them in WA:
Tom and Dan still have theirs (and they both bought Leafs, so you probably saw one of them at Stadium Nissan). Not sure about the others. I kind of wish I still had mine...but then I wouldn't have the Roadster, so I guess I am OK.

I have driven a 2012 RAV4-EV. After a Tesla, it is kind of disappointing - ride, handling, speed are definitely downgrades if you are used to a Model S... Once again Toyota has put out a really nice car; too bad they don't want to sell it.
That's right. I think the Leaf buyers at Stadium Nissan mentioned 5.

Oh yeah... judging by the figures I've seen and that the Rav4 EV is unfortunately FWD. I've test driven the Rav4 EV at least 3x now. It's hell of a lot faster than my Leaf.

I just wish I could get a Leaf w/about the range of a Rav4 EV but w/o having to go to small SUV size and paying the high price. If it were that hypothetical Leaf were priced between the current Leaf and a Rav4 EV w/the once huge incentives.

I just found out about this guy's (2nd-gen) Rav4 EV battery pack replacement: Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - High Battery Temp and Low Battery Temp -- Check EV System. And, there's a mix of opinions at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - talk me out of/convince me right now.

Thanks, I've basically decided that the RAV4 is out of the running. It is possible that I consider trading the S in for the X. But love the S so far. And might stick with the Volt as our second car, either buying the one we have after the lease (or more likely leasing a newer one).
Good call IMHO. Here is what I am told when I try to service a 4 month old Toyota RAV4 EV in western Pennsylvania. (Actually Toyota tech assist tried to blame the winter tires first.) :)
2013-10-24 20.54.33.jpg
A true "imported from California gray-market product."
@cwerdna:
It is FWD, torque steer is very noticeable under sports mode

Last edited: