Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original Roadster 240v 30a Mobile Connector -- Model and Part Numbers for NA Version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Does anyone have one of these?
  • Early Roadster accessory
  • $600 (I believe)
  • One-piece (only had a permanently-attached 240v plug)
  • Had (beefy) NEMA 14-50 plug (made by Hubbell)
  • Eventually supplanted by the later Roadster Universal Mobile Connector (which had optional, removable 120v and 240v adapter-plugs)
I am looking for the Tesla North America model number ("TMN") and part number ("APN"), contained on the label at one end of the controller box.

Here is a photo of the Tesla label on a European version (with different wall plug):

Roadster 240v MC - European Version - 1.jpg
Roadster 240v MC - European Version - 2.jpg

I assume that the North American version has different ID numbers.

Thanks for any assistance.

Here you go:
Works great in the garage. Not outdoor rated though.

Cool. Thank you.

Early precursor to the 240v 40a Corded Mobile Connector, seems like.

Interesting that it was 30-amp device but used a NEMA 14-50 plug (right?).

Looks like you have the 192nd one assembled/sold? Pioneer.

I believe at some point they made the Roadster Mobile Connector 120v (for slow week-day charging?); then offered the 120v/240v Roadster Universal Mobile Connector, which probably led to the later (Model S, 2012) Universal Mobile Connector.

Cool. Thank you.

Early precursor to the 240v 40a Corded Mobile Connector, seems like.

Interesting that it was 30-amp device but used a NEMA 14-50 plug (right?).

Looks like you have the 192nd one assembled/sold? Pioneer.

I believe at some point they made the Roadster Mobile Connector 120v (for slow week-day charging?); then offered the 120v/240v Roadster Universal Mobile Connector, which probably led to the later (Model S, 2012) Universal Mobile Connector.

You're welcome.

My understanding was that they were having trouble finding a contactor that could handle 40 amps so they went with this. The early days for Tesla were tough.

Pioneer? Considering we are original owners of Roadster #60, I guess so. 17 year Tesla customer (since 2006).

Initially, all they had was the 120v charging cord. It was simply a connector with a cable and a GFI NEMA 5-15 plug. The GFI often clashed with a GFI outlet so it fell off and a simple NEMA 5-15 plug found itself there.

Next, they produced the original wall connector that handled 70 amp charging.

This mobile connector followed a bit later and was the first attempt at something for the road.

Martin Eberhard after the split with Tesla, created his "Roadster Foundry" Universal Mobile Connector that offered selectable adapters for various standard 120 and 240 volt connectors for up to 40 amps. For it, one had to give Martin your 120v charging cord so he could use the Roadster Charging connector from it. Luckily, replacement 120v cords were available from Tesla at the time.

A while after that, Tesla actually came out with their UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) that as a bit fancier than the Roadster Foundry one but worked similarly.

Somewhere along the way, the original wall connector went away and a Clipper Creek TS100 with the Roadster connector became the wall option.

They also came out with a J-1772 to Roadster adapter cable once J-1772 was finally standardized and started being deployed.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
You're welcome.

My understanding was that they were having trouble finding a contactor that could handle 40 amps so they went with this. The early days for Tesla were tough.
Initially, all they had was the 120v charging cord. It was simply a connector with a cable and a GFI NEMA 5-15 plug. The GFI often clashed with a GFI outlet so it fell off and a simple NEMA 5-15 plug found itself there.

Next, they produced the original wall connector that handled 70 amp charging.

This mobile connector followed a bit later and was the first attempt at something for the road.

Martin Eberhard after the split with Tesla, created his "Roadster Foundry" Universal Mobile Connector that offered selectable adapters for various standard 120 and 240 volt connectors for up to 40 amps. For it, one had to give Martin your 120v charging cord so he could use the Roadster Charging connector from it. Luckily, replacement 120v cords were available from Tesla at the time.

A while after that, Tesla actually came out with their UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) that as a bit fancier than the Roadster Foundry one but worked similarly.

Somewhere along the way, the original wall connector went away and a Clipper Creek TS100 with the Roadster connector became the wall option.

They also came out with a J-1772 to Roadster adapter cable once J-1772 was finally standardized and started being deployed.

Very helpful.

I have attempted, in the past, to convey some of this kind of Roadster-related information to readers; for example here, here, and here. But an excellent source of info remains original Roadster owners themselves.

Reactions: MCroadster
Very helpful.

I have attempted, in the past, to convey some of this kind of Roadster-related information to readers; for example here, here, and here. But an excellent source of info remains original Roadster owners themselves.
That makes sense. I haven't provided too much Roadster info since I'm not sure who all really cares. Only 2500 were made and most of the ~2000 that still exist are probably buried in collections as bragging rights. I'll see about filling some of the gaps in your excellent chronicle of the history of charging station development.
Are you interested in an old EV1 MagneCharger? What about the AVCON-to-NEMA 14-50 adapter that EVA made that we used early on to be able to use the orphaned 1990's era conductive public charging stations? I still have some of this stuff around and can probably provide some photos.

...Are you interested in...

Sure. Maybe a little post (w/photos) to add to existing threads or as a stand-alone?

One thing I am interested in is the uses people made of them. I am naively assuming that:
  • Because of newness and relatively high cost, they were mostly initially purchased by well-heeled customers.
  • Due to (a) their moderate range (~200 miles?), (b) initial lack of and inability to charge at high-speed DC charging stations, and (c) dependence on (relatively expensive) 240v equipment that required an overnight charge,...that they were mostly weekend fun vehicles? But...
  • Some were used for daily short-haul commuter cars? (Plugged into 120v at work and overnight at home.) Were they reliable?
Another thing that has interested me, at least, was the original "Tesla experience"--with freebie gifts, personal attention by employees, and (later) factory tours as part of the "Good" (and delays, broken promises, and more delays as part of the "Bad," I suppose).

I don't know if it was an actual, written-out business model or just an accident, but EM's 'plan' to market Tesla auto products seems to have worked (e.g., starting with marketing to the relatively wealthy and gradually moving to the more budget-conscious). (Lucid seems to be doing that also.)

Regardless of the details, I continue to assume that what happened during the 'Roadster era' greatly influenced (and was arguably essential for) the subsequent release of Model S (2012) and all that followed. It is really a fascinating story.

One interesting question: what would have happened if there had been no EM at Tesla? Would the company have survived? Do successul start-ups have to have bold genius-visionaries (who invariably become lightning rods for both praise and criticism)?

Last edited: