Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oregon Supercharger on the Winter 2013 map that I don't recall seeing there earlier. That one seems to be around Eugene...

View attachment 29826

It does look like the Eugene/Springfield area. There are some potential spots in Springfield just as you get in the area and one that I can think of on the way out of Eugene. I am curious to see where it ends up.

The "Eugene" addition is kind of an odd one. Centralia to Eugene is 200 miles so it's a stretch to skip Woodburn in an S60. Not sure I'd want to do that even in my P85. Portland to Roseburg is 180 miles - which is ok for trips originating in Portland. Maybe their thinking is about capacity rather than distance. Sales in the PNW have been pretty robust.

The "Eugene" addition is kind of an odd one. Centralia to Eugene is 200 miles so it's a stretch to skip Woodburn in an S60. Not sure I'd want to do that even in my P85. Portland to Roseburg is 180 miles - which is ok for trips originating in Portland. Maybe their thinking is about capacity rather than distance. Sales in the PNW have been pretty robust.
Eugene is a common cut over point to/from the coast, so the purpose is probably to support east/west travel from that point rather than to augment I5 north/south.

Eugene is a common cut over point to/from the coast, so the purpose is probably to support east/west travel from that point rather than to augment I5 north/south.

Also, it gives drivers a little more flexibility. Say one leaves Portland in a 60kWh model for points south. Woodburn is probably too close to really be of much benefit and Sutherlin might be uncomfortably far in bad weather.

In any event, I'm all for more Superchargers in Oregon... it just makes my life easier! Now, lets talk about putting a few in on Hwy 97! I vote for Bend and K-Falls! K-Falls would be awesome for me. I have to drive down there for work every once and a while and there's really no way to charge at this point.

I guess it's up to us to convince Tesla that they should put a few in Eastern Oregon!
My guess is that they are logging the calls from distressed, stranded Tesla drivers :)
But I think the current map is a function of "we can claim coverage" and "we cover highly traveled roads". It will be a few more years before "let's cover all reasonable Hwys" is on their radar...

My guess is that they are logging the calls from distressed, stranded Tesla drivers :)
But I think the current map is a function of "we can claim coverage" and "we cover highly traveled roads". It will be a few more years before "let's cover all reasonable Hwys" is on their radar...

Yeah, I think the song is "Highways not by-ways". They would probably hit 101 before 97. They seem to be shooting for inter-city travel. Though some of their plans seem to belie that (Michigan and Wisconsin, for example).

The non-artery highways are going to part of the long tail process for superchargers. After the 2015 "total" US coverage, I'd expect Tesla (or perhaps some partnership by that point) to start filling in the less beaten paths.

The non-artery highways are going to part of the long tail process for superchargers. After the 2015 "total" US coverage, I'd expect Tesla (or perhaps some partnership by that point) to start filling in the less beaten paths.
I actually think that there are a ton of franchising ideas - mostly around mildly up-scale (read: not McD or BurgerKing) but "fast" food. Starbucks would be a perfect fit.

Still not something I'd like to have to rely on for a 500 mile trip. Superchargers are simply a different beast.

True, however for me the Superchargers are for long, rapid travel so it makes sense that they be on the more direct route (interstate highways). For the time being I like the idea of 80amp chargers in many places all over the state for more leisurely drives or for use at end destinations.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Superchargers all over the place in 10 years but I think that, in the near-term, the idea of 80amp level 2 chargers has a lot of merit. Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss that!

True, however for me the Superchargers are for long, rapid travel so it makes sense that they be on the more direct route (interstate highways). For the time being I like the idea of 80amp chargers in many places all over the state for more leisurely drives or for use at end destinations.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Superchargers all over the place in 10 years but I think that, in the near-term, the idea of 80amp level 2 chargers has a lot of merit. Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss that!

For a restaurant or shopping mall I see the value of the 80A charger. For hotels I'd rather see them install twice as many 30A chargers (which are about half the cost). You are staying over night. 7kW should get you fully charged while you sleep. 20kW means you'll be blocking a charger for 2/3 of the night...

The plan to put superchargers within range of 98% of the population does not mean I will be able to use superchargers to reach every place I want to go. For one thing, many of the places I want to go are precisely not in cities. They are remote areas where the population is very sparse. Superchargers can cover 98% of the population, but still leave out many of the most desirable destinations. Moreover, "within range" means about 175 miles if you go by the circles TM has drawn on its SC map. But to use these superchargers without supplemental charge stations, I must be able to get from the supercharger to my destination and back on a single charge. If I plan to drive around a bit in the vicinity of my destination, the supercharger must be even closer. To really cover the U.S., the circles around the superchargers would need to have a radius of about 100 miles or less, and even then I might not be able to drive my preferred routes. Roads are not always straight, and using the supercharger would frequently take me out of my way.

For these reasons, like it or not, we will need to rely on supplemental charge stations for the foreseeable future. I believe this means at least 30 amp stations at overnight accommodations, and preferably high amp stations at stores, restaurants, and everywhere else.

I doubt that even in 10 years there will be SCs in remote areas. The 70A chargers that SunCountry/NCWPI is putting in are part of an emerging network that has Level 3/Super chargers for major highly traveled routes (think interstates and similar), High Amp (70/80) Level 2 chargers filling in the gaps and lower amp (30/40) chargers Blink/CP/14-50s at destinations. I could see some higher volume establishments putting in HAL2 chargers but it's more likely they would put in Low Amp chargers or nothing at all ("free charge with a meal" or some such).

@Dirk, you may not like it but it's a fantasy to think of SCs in places like Yakima, Chelan, Wentachee, Newberg, Newport and so on. Just not going to happen.