Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But honestly I doubt regulators will even approve FSD for another 10 years and a 2018 Model 3 will be technologically dated by then.

FWIW this is regulated (currently) at the state level, and FSD would already be totally legal in many states under existing laws, no need for "regulators" to do anything.

The question is would Tesla enable those features (once they actually work anyway) when they have to potentially turn them on/off based on crossing state lines.

FWIW this is regulated (currently) at the state level, and FSD would already be totally legal in many states under existing laws, no need for "regulators" to do anything.

The question is would Tesla enable those features (once they actually work anyway) when they have to potentially turn them on/off based on crossing state lines.

They would still need to ensure these states knew what their cars were capable of. If they just dumped them on the road and said "you never said we couldn't" the state could just call a special session and pass a law to ban them and they'd be SOL. It's best to work with the regulators in all states (and the insurance companies) to make sure everyone is on board with a driverless car before they just dump them on the streets.

They would still need to ensure these states knew what their cars were capable of. If they just dumped them on the road and said "you never said we couldn't" the state could just call a special session and pass a law to ban them and they'd be SOL. .

That's nonsensical.

The states in question already explicitly have said they can do it.

A number of states have passed laws that essentially read "If your self driving car can obey all traffic and safety laws a driver-in-the-car car can, it's legal here"

That's nonsensical.

The states in question already explicitly have said they can do it.

A number of states have passed laws that essentially read "If your self driving car can obey all traffic and safety laws a driver-in-the-car car can, it's legal here"

That's different. I assumed you meant that they simply had no law to prevent it, not that they had explicitly passed laws to allow it.

Although I'm pretty sure that no state currently allows a car to drive on it's own without a driver behind the wheel that's capable of taking control. So no completely driverless cars or self driving cars with drunks in them.

That's different. I assumed you meant that they simply had no law to prevent it, not that they had explicitly passed laws to allow it.

Although I'm pretty sure that no state currently allows a car to drive on it's own without a driver behind the wheel that's capable of taking control. So no completely driverless cars or self driving cars with drunks in them.

No, that's also incorrect- several states explicitly allow totally driverless cars so long as they can safely obey all laws.... (a couple even add that if the only occupant of such a car is someone without a drivers license, that's also ok, to avoid confusion of how things work if a 12 year old is sitting in the "drivers" seat of a robotaxi I suppose)

Nobody sells such a car today of course.

No, that's also incorrect- several states explicitly allow totally driverless cars so long as they can safely obey all laws.... (a couple even add that if the only occupant of such a car is someone without a drivers license, that's also ok, to avoid confusion of how things work if a 12 year old is sitting in the "drivers" seat of a robotaxi I suppose)

Nobody sells such a car today of course.

Hmmm... I'll take your word for it. But being able to "safely obey all laws" is a far cry from where the technology is right now. That sounds more like level 5. Tesla isn't even to level 3 yet. So we're still a long way from this happening.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but if they get to the point where they can actually deploy driverless robotaxis in the next 10 years I'll be shocked.

One accident with a driverless car and new laws on the state or federal level could happen any day so foolish to say it is no problem now or in the future.
Of course 1000 accidents involving cars driven by human drivers will happen on the same day ; but those will be over looked.

I'd love to see Tesla offer a trial for a week once a year after major upgrades. When I last tried autopark and summon on my model 3, it was pathetic. I couldn't convince the car there was enough space to get into a tight garage and it would parallel park half a foot from the curb and only in a large space. The autopilot has gotten much better but I have no idea what the current state is of any of the advanced features (former EAP now fsd) Its a rather expensive proposition to pay now and find out that its not worth it.

For all we know they will drop the price of FSD in half in a few years and introduce TNR (tesla network robo-taxi) at another 6k

I think we'll have to pay for Tesla car insurance if there is any chance they will have liability for FSD accidents, which it seems they would. Easy to do within the Tesla Network, but it would require additional payments from current FSD purchasers if they want to use FSD without monitoring it and assuming liability themselves.

Of course 1000 accidents involving cars driven by human drivers will happen on the same day ; but those will be over looked.

In a mild defense of the regulators, the human drivers will probably drive well over 1000 times the distance the computers did, on the particular day of your hypothetical. Point is that it is the per mile accident rate in each particular domain (and the severity of course) that matters.

On topic for the thread: As far as ordering FSD now, note that Elon Musk has tied this price increase (in tweet) to the wide release of Enhanced Summon Elon Musk on Twitter . So though they claim the price will go up August 16th, I'd wait until you see the whites of Enhanced Summon's eyes, or at least some re-confirmation from Tesla that the price IS going up, if you are planning to buy it.

Hmmm... I'll take your word for it. But being able to "safely obey all laws" is a far cry from where the technology is right now. That sounds more like level 5. Tesla isn't even to level 3 yet. So we're still a long way from this happening.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but if they get to the point where they can actually deploy driverless robotaxis in the next 10 years I'll be shocked.
"safely obey all laws" (wherever the car is allowed to be operated) is required for Level 3 as well. The point is that driverless robotaxis are legal in many states. Waymo has permission in California to test cars without a person inside (they are capable of being remotely operated when they get in trouble). They have permission to remove the safety drivers for their commercial service in Arizona. They're not doing it because they don't think their system is safe enough yet, not because it's illegal.