Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Source Teslalogger on Raspberry / Docker with ScanMyTesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
Since my level in English being weak, I go through Google Translation to post my message, please excuse me.
Teslamate user on a PI3B and Scan My Tesla, I am happy with their use, but I would like to have even more technical data. I just saw that the TeslaLogger / Scan My Tesla Association could provide me with this data. I consulted "github.com/bassmaster187/teslalogger" but before making a mistake, I would like to make sure of 2 things:
- The content of my current file docker-compose.yml (for Teslamate) and the one that will settle (for teslalogger) will not conflict?
- My "http: // localhost: 3000" is used for my Teslamate dashboards via Grafana, should I change this in Docker-Compose.yml of Teslalogger (for example using port 2000)? Or I keep the port 3000 and all dashboards (Teslamate and Teslalogger) will be accessible by this port 3000?
Thanking you in advance for answers, Lionel

Hello
Since my level in English being weak, I go through Google Translation to post my message, please excuse me.
Teslamate user on a PI3B and Scan My Tesla, I am happy with their use, but I would like to have even more technical data. I just saw that the TeslaLogger / Scan My Tesla Association could provide me with this data. I consulted "github.com/bassmaster187/teslalogger" but before making a mistake, I would like to make sure of 2 things:
- The content of my current file docker-compose.yml (for Teslamate) and the one that will settle (for teslalogger) will not conflict?
- My "http: // localhost: 3000" is used for my Teslamate dashboards via Grafana, should I change this in Docker-Compose.yml of Teslalogger (for example using port 2000)? Or I keep the port 3000 and all dashboards (Teslamate and Teslalogger) will be accessible by this port 3000?
Thanking you in advance for answers, Lionel
Yes, you have to change the ports section in the grafina definition, I use 3010:3000 and then change the settings within teslalogger to match

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
@goRt Thank you for the answer. If I understand correctly, I do not touch at all to what I have already installed in my PI3B for Teslamate (especially docker-copose.yml), I just follow in addition, the procedure indicated in "github.com/bassmaster187 / TeslaGogger ". And I change the ports of 3000: 3000 to 3010: 3000, is that good?

@goRt Thank you for the answer. If I understand correctly, I do not touch at all to what I have already installed in my PI3B for Teslamate (especially docker-copose.yml), I just follow in addition, the procedure indicated in "github.com/bassmaster187 / TeslaGogger ". And I change the ports of 3000: 3000 to 3010: 3000, is that good?
Correct, but that line is in the docker-copose.yml
Once TeslaLogger is up then you need to go to its settings page and adjust the "URL Grafana:" to have :3010 at the end (the 3010 is your choice, but needs to match in the compose and settings panel)

Yes, I saw that this line is in the Docker-copose.yml, I should manage to change all this without too much problem.
I will allow myself to post a new message if I do not happen.
By security, I think I'm going to make an image of my current SD card, before making the changes to integrate teslagger, like this in case of problems, I can put my system back as it was before my attempt to change ...
In any case, thank you for the advice, I appreciate.

Reactions: goRt
Just setting this up for the first time on my Synology. Had to manually change ports to get it to work because I already had MariaDB and Grafana running on the NAS. But I can't seem to get the ScanMyTesla integration working. Enabled it in the Settings page and got the Tasker token, but entering it in the SMT app, it gives me an error: "Error in Checking Token. No Internet connection?" Not sure how it's supposed to work.

Just setting this up for the first time on my Synology. Had to manually change ports to get it to work because I already had MariaDB and Grafana running on the NAS. But I can't seem to get the ScanMyTesla integration working. Enabled it in the Settings page and got the Tasker token, but entering it in the SMT app, it gives me an error: "Error in Checking Token. No Internet connection?" Not sure how it's supposed to work.
I assume that error message is on your phone/tablet that you have SMT installed on, does it have internet connectivity?

I am not 100% sure of the data flow of SMT but I am guessing it goes something like this:
Your car ->bluetooth adapter -> phone/tablet -> Internet -> server in Germany -> your own hosted location.

I assume that error message is on your phone/tablet that you have SMT installed on, does it have internet connectivity?

I am not 100% sure of the data flow of SMT but I am guessing it goes something like this:
Your car ->bluetooth adapter -> phone/tablet -> Internet -> server in Germany -> your own hosted location.

That's right. That message is in SMT app on my phone. And yes, my phone has Internet connectivity -- both over WiFi (to 1G fiber) and 2 active SIMs with data.

You seem to indicate that the server in Germany needs to reach my own Teslalogger instance... And that's what I expect, but not clear if I'm stuck at that point yet. How does it do (or attempt) that?

These are the four Docker containers running on my Synology NAS:

1656444529063.png

I assume it needs to reach the teslalogger_teslalogger_1? I have it mapped to port 5010.

In the TeslaLogger Settings page, there is a "Tasker URL" under the "Tasker Token" and when I visit that URL with my browser, it just says "OK". And there is a recent date-stamp for Received Tasker Token, but ScanMyTesla last received is obviously never (1970-01-01 01:00:00):

1656444980729.png

That's right. That message is in SMT app on my phone. And yes, my phone has Internet connectivity -- both over WiFi (to 1G fiber) and 2 active SIMs with data.

You seem to indicate that the server in Germany needs to reach my own Teslalogger instance... And that's what I expect, but not clear if I'm stuck at that point yet. How does it do (or attempt) that?

These are the four Docker containers running on my Synology NAS:
I really don't know how it all works unfortunately, its just a guess and I am glad mine works (most of the time). I wish the product and documentation was a little more polished but I guess this is the best thing we have for now without having to pay a monthly subscription. It's definitely not as English/US friendly as I would like it to be since most of the links on the page like this one are German:

I also run it on my Synology NAS and my containers look the same as yours. Here is a screenshot of one of my containers:
1656448774528.png

My ScanMyTesla last received date is odd as well, but seems to be working.

1656448928989.png

Sorry that I can't be more help :(

• Helpful
Reactions: ken830
I really don't know how it all works unfortunately, its just a guess and I am glad mine works (most of the time). I wish the product and documentation was a little more polished but I guess this is the best thing we have for now without having to pay a monthly subscription. It's definitely not as English/US friendly as I would like it to be since most of the links on the page like this one are German:

I also run it on my Synology NAS and my containers look the same as yours. Here is a screenshot of one of my containers:

My ScanMyTesla last received date is odd as well, but seems to be working.

Sorry that I can't be more help :(

Thanks! I'm not even sure what ScanMyTesla adds. I was just curious. And everything else seems to be working with both cars, but all the units in Grafana are metric and km, even though I have my settings changed to miles and restarted it. I have a trip coming up (my family's first time really leaving the house since the beginning of the pandemic) so I will see how it logs trips.

Thanks! I'm not even sure what ScanMyTesla adds. I was just curious. And everything else seems to be working with both cars, but all the units in Grafana are metric and km, even though I have my settings changed to miles and restarted it. I have a trip coming up (my family's first time really leaving the house since the beginning of the pandemic) so I will see how it logs trips.
ScanMyTesla integration adds a lot of the deeper details to logging/graphs. It will add additional lines on the graphs for the information it can retrieve. For example the following:
  • Nominal Full Pack (Probably the most useful to me: The actual amount of energy you battery can hold). This shows the true degradation of your pack instead of just the estimated max mileage.
  • Cell Temp
  • Voltage imbalance (Difference between highest and lowest voltage cells)
  • Horsepower and torque used. This is now logged on your graphs if you are running SMT while you drive
  • HVAC information
There are some "hidden" graphs that aren't linked from the main console. You need to click on the General folder on the top left and then you can see the Performance and HVAC data (once you give it some data via SMT).
1656513395911.png

I know all the KM and metric units suck for us Americans, its very frustrating. :mad: I wish there was a way to force all the US units and have them stick.

Reactions: ken830
ScanMyTesla integration adds a lot of the deeper details to logging/graphs. It will add additional lines on the graphs for the information it can retrieve. For example the following:
  • Nominal Full Pack (Probably the most useful to me: The actual amount of energy you battery can hold). This shows the true degradation of your pack instead of just the estimated max mileage.
  • Cell Temp
  • Voltage imbalance (Difference between highest and lowest voltage cells)
  • Horsepower and torque used. This is now logged on your graphs if you are running SMT while you drive
  • HVAC information
There are some "hidden" graphs that aren't linked from the main console. You need to click on the General folder on the top left and then you can see the Performance and HVAC data (once you give it some data via SMT).

I know all the KM and metric units suck for us Americans, its very frustrating. :mad: I wish there was a way to force all the US units and have them stick.

Thanks! That's neat. The good thing is that the ScanMyTesla seems to have worked once it was connected to my OBDLINK. Unfortunately, my phone only connected to the OBDLINK once at the beginning of my trip, so I have no ScanMyTesla data in my logs. I've never had this issue before. I will try to unplug and re-plug it, I guess.

Thanks! That's neat. The good thing is that the ScanMyTesla seems to have worked once it was connected to my OBDLINK. Unfortunately, my phone only connected to the OBDLINK once at the beginning of my trip, so I have no ScanMyTesla data in my logs. I've never had this issue before. I will try to unplug and re-plug it, I guess.
I am using the OBDLink LX adapter, mine doesn't connect the 1st time every time either. I used to unplug and re-plug the adapter back in to get it to reconnect but I have since tucked the adapter back up and re attached the little cubby so it isn't easy/quick to do anymore.

What I do now is I have to open and close the ScanMyTesla app (Android version) 3-4 times for it to finally get to connect and pull data.

I always had to re-connect a few times too, or close the app and start again to get it to work, but unfortunately, that didn't work over a 2 week period.... I'll probably try to unplug it, but I haven't had to do that before.