Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arduino charge door opener

I needed a charge door opener for my Tesla when I use a non-Tesla cable, so I used an Arduino with a STX882 transmitter to build this into my wall charge plug holder. When pulling out the charge plug from the holder, the charge door opens.
The hardware cost is perhaps $4 from eBay.

I captured the signal from the Tesla charge plug and made a program to replicate it.

I shared the minimal Arduino code for this on github.com/fredilarsen/TeslaChargePortOpener. It is tested and feature complete.
You can build it very compact if you need to, for example with an ATtiny, and perhaps you could integrate it into a charge plug as well.
I just used an Arduino Nano along with the STX882 in a small electronics box, very quickly assembled, beside the charge plug holder.

I hope somebody will respond if they look at this and actually use it :)

I used a 433MHz transmitter for Europe. The program will likely work just as fine with a 315MHz transmitter if needed.

Fred

Reactions: bradhs

I needed a charge door opener for my Tesla when I use a non-Tesla cable, so I used an Arduino with a STX882 transmitter to build this into my wall charge plug holder. When pulling out the charge plug from the holder, the charge door opens.

I captured the signal from the Tesla charge plug and made a program to replicate it.

I shared the minimal Arduino code for this on github.com/fredilarsen/TeslaChargePortOpener. It is tested and feature complete.
You can build it very compact if you need to, for example with an ATtiny, and perhaps you could integrate it into a charge plug as well.
I just used an Arduino Nano along with the STX882 in a small electronics box, very quickly assembled, beside the charge plug holder.

I used a 433MHz transmitter for Europe. The program will likely work just as fine with a 315MHz transmitter if needed.

Fred
Any link where you can share code, pics, etc..?

Fred
Man this is very cool. Just one question, ir the code os 433mhz and it is fixed code, can ir bem clone by a Simple Garage Door opener? Thank you