Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Provincial Parks Camping Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get some advice here. I'm planning on going camping for the first time with my MX. I was checking the Ontario Provincial Parks reservation website to filter for camping grounds that provide electricity. I am specifically looking at Sauble Falls and when looking at the electrical service details for a campground it lists it as 15/30 Amps. I am assuming I will need to buy an adaptor for my UMC but I would like to get some advice from anyone here as to what adapter I will need to buy?

Thanks in advance.

In North America, campgounds use 120 Volt 30 Amp TT-30 and 240 Volt 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 outlets. They are simply referred to as 30 amp and 50 amp service. The 50 amp service is the same connector that your UMC came with and is the preferred hook-up if available. The 30 amp service uses the TT-30 connector which Tesla doesn't make an adapter for. There is a great one available here.

The 50 amp service is preferable because not only does it supply 66% more current, but also double the voltage so will charge your car considerably faster. A word of caution - campgrounds may not have the best power supply for high draw devices, many recommend slowing down the current draw in your car while charging, especially if it's a fairly busy campground on a hot day with lots of RVs running their A/C units.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz and RiverBrick
I made the mistake of relying upon a campground on my run from Thunder Bay back down, two separate campground I had a ground fault indicator on the attempt at charging, had to charge at 110V instead and then hit a Sun Country charger for a nice long lunch. Camping was great however! So I was going to make a run to local campground to see if it was my mobile charger, but have not had time yet. So maybe a trip over to Indian Line for a test might be in order. You can borrow my adapter if you want, I work in Vaughan.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shaz