Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On FSD and Hardware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ronin

Jul 24, 2018
USA
As has been has been mentioned in the past, people with FSD should be getting HW3 revisions on their cars.

The question is, for the foreseeable future, does having FSD guarantee any future hardware revisions (i.e. HW4, HW5 and so on and so forth)?

Especially if this is service of achieving coast to coast hands-free driving (or level 3 to 5 of autonomous driving).

As has been has been mentioned in the past, people with FSD should be getting HW3 revisions on their cars.

The question is, for the foreseeable future, does having FSD guarantee any future hardware revisions (i.e. HW4, HW5 and so on and so forth)?

Especially if this is service of achieving coast to coast hands-free driving (or level 3 to 5 of autonomous driving).
I would also ask: Does FSD guarantee an eventual level 4 or 5 capable car? Or will there be a higher level to purchase in the future.

Reactions: C141medic
...does having FSD guarantee any future hardware revisions (i.e. HW4, HW5 and so on and so forth)?...

Just like AP1 was not guaranteed to get AP2 for free.

AP1 was promised to do certain tasks and Tesla would try to meet those minimal requirements.

But that's not the end of paying for better technology.

If owners wanted more than those minimal requirements, they have to pay up and traded in for better computer AP2.

Same with a promise of wireless telephone. Once companies were able to cut the phone cord to go wireless which was the minimal requirement, consumers would have to pay more and more to keep up with technology: 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G...

And so on...

Reactions: Jrzapata

AP1 was promised to do certain tasks and Tesla would try to meet those minimal requirements.

If owners wanted more than those minimal requirements, they have to pay up and traded in for better computer AP2.

Same with a promise of wireless telephone. Once companies were able to cut the phone cord to go wireless which was the minimal requirement, consumers would have to pay more and more to keep up with technology: 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G...

And so on...
So there's going to be FSD 2, FSD 3 and so forth?

And so on...

The difference is AP1 never promised full self driving.

And the current lineup is being sold as can eventually self drive when you prepurchase the FSD option. This has shown to include some hardware updates like hardware 3.

I know it’s speculation, but has Tesla ever stated that there would be tiered FSD? Or is it a one overall binding definition?

All I remember is Elon promised us full self driving (air quotes everywhere, I guess!) for those of us that bought the FSD software (before or now). I thought that started at AP2.5. Did it include cars at 2.0? Believe so?

Pretty sure it included whatever CPU upgrade needed. 3 or whatever, as needed.

Anyone have a better summary?

Reactions: C141medic
The difference is AP1 never promised full self driving...

AP1 is promised with Summon. It does a pretty good job but it crashes into wall/garage at times.

That's because AP1 only uses sonars.

Now, if you pay more for AP2 and above, it's promised to do a better job because it will use 8 cameras in addition to sonars.

When it says Summon and you paid for it. That is not the end of it. You'll continue to pay more and more for better versions of Summon.

It's the same with FSD. Someday, Tesla will fulfill the minimum requirement of FSD. But that will not be the end of it. You'll continue to pay more and more for better FSD.

It's just the nature of technology. If you will be happy with that current level of technology, no need to pay more. But technology evolves and you'll have to pay more to keep up with it.

No doubt!

Last edited:
Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-9.35.21-AM-e1530108954606.jpg
This is what we were sold with FSD. My guess is they'll need some additional hardware at some point (front bumper L/R camera to see what you're about to pull in to)... guess we'll see

Attachments

• fsd.jpg
    fsd.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 43
The difference is AP1 never promised full self driving.
Well, that is debatable. There was plenty of marketing that at the very least implied full autonomy. Here's a Tesla blog post from January 2016:

Summon Your Tesla from Your Phone

"Using Summon, once you arrive home and exit Model S or Model X, you can prompt it to do the rest: open your garage door, enter your garage, park itself, and shut down. In the morning, you wake up, walk out the front door, and summon your car. It will open the garage door and come to greet you. More broadly, Summon also eliminates the burden of having to squeeze in and out of tight parking spots. During this Beta stage of Summon, we would like customers to become familiar with it on private property. Eventually, your Tesla will be able to drive anywhere across the country to meet you, charging itself along the way."

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and ronin