Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few people got warranty replacement packs that resulted in an upgrade from "A" to "B" or later. They DID verify an increased charging rate. Tesla is now careful NOT to do that anymore. They have enough remanufactured packs to continue to keep us "A" pack'ers where they think we belong. :wink:

I don't believe Tesla even substitutes packs except in exceptional circumstances. As I understand it, any failures that don't involve portions of the cells themselves result in a temporary loaner pack while your own pack gets fixed and returned.

a few thoughts:

So when they get ready to give me a B pack, everyone else will be getting M and N packs, right?

Imagine complaining about ONLY getting 87 kW at the chargers while so many people are VERY anxious to get a ChaDeMo charger cable so they can charge at 50 kW! And the main comment there is that it's because so many of the SCs are ICEd. I've never been ICEd.

Yeah, I agree! Don't make me give up my A pack until I can get a really sweet deal on a new 110 kWh pack!!!!

No! Please don't replace my A pack until there is a new larger capacity pack available for us for a very cheap price! 

You do realize that that's going to be a long time from now right? And by that point I'd rather just trade up to the new model.

Just give me a darn B now and in 8 years or so I'll reward Tesla and buy a fancy new car with a 100 kWh pack that charges at 200 kW.

I don't believe Tesla even substitutes packs except in exceptional circumstances. As I understand it, any failures that don't involve portions of the cells themselves result in a temporary loaner pack while your own pack gets fixed and returned.

Thats the current policy. Wasn't always the case.

Hey 90 kW club!

Anyone else notice poorer SpC performance under 6.x? My taper seems to begin somewhere in the low 30%'s and then there's been this odd knee in the curve between 35%-60%. See below a comparison of my taper curve under various FW versions. Outside temps have always been fairly moderate (i.e. ~50-75 F) for all sessions displayed.

View attachment 71110

If 90 kW SpC worked as advertised each and every time then I don't think it would be as big of a deal. But since we already start out at a disadvantage anything else that further impacts the charge rate is really difficult to cope with.

My theory about your data is that the ongoing ever so slight decrease in supercharge rate is due to battery degradation and not software version. The charging rate seems to go down from 90kw a few percent just as the capacity has gone down a few percent.

Comments?

My theory about your data is that the ongoing ever so slight decrease in supercharge rate is due to battery degradation and not software version. The charging rate seems to go down from 90kw a few percent just as the capacity has gone down a few percent.

Comments?

IMO, effects from degradation should not be reflected in data that is based on %SOC. For instance, whether your pack is 1 day old or 10 years old, it should take the same amount of time to go from 10% to 80% at a SpC. After all, the taper curve software contained in the BMS is governed by SOC (and ambient conditions, but that's beside the point).

Now, if the SpC rate was based miles per hour or had I been reporting rated range in my data then I could see the degradation argument coming into play.

Edit: No I now believe my analogy was incorrect. For the ten year old pack a percent would represent less energy. However, I still maintain that the taper curve would look exactly the same when plotted against SOC.

Last edited:
IMO, effects from degradation should not be reflected in data that is based on %SOC. For instance, whether your pack is 1 day old or 10 years old, it should take the same amount of time to go from 10% to 80% at a SpC. After all, the taper curve software contained in the BMS is governed by SOC (and ambient conditions, but that's beside the point).
That would only be true if the pack's internal resistance stayed the same as it aged, but unfortunately as lithium batteries age and lose capacity, their internal resistance also gets higher which will further limit how quickly you can recharge the pack compared to when it was new.

Agreed. And my April 2013 car's A-pack failed last month unexpectedly during a road trip and I sort of got stranded. But Tesla still refused to replaced it. I have been driving around on a "loaner" B battery pack for the last 1+ month.

Interesting, Why wouldn't they replaced a failed battery pack. Perhaps it's a software issue that can be resolved.

Interesting, Why wouldn't they replaced a failed battery pack. Perhaps it's a software issue that can be resolved.

They no longer replace it with a refurbished or new pack. Tesla changed to an approach that, basically, your battery pack is your battery pack forever. If you have a non-cell-related problem with the pack, you can use a loaner pack while your pack is sent to be repaired, then yours will be re-installed when it is repaired.

I think Tesla had to do this for a couple of reasons. The first is that the early contactor failures were creating too many refurbished packs after new packs were installed in cars and the old ones were sent back to be reworked - they can't be installed in new cars, so they'd have a glut of refurbished battery packs. The second is that there were some people whose "newly refurbished" packs had a lower range predicted by the car than their old pack. By going this route, Tesla has essentially made the battery pack the center of the car (as it seemingly should be).

I have no idea why. I've posted about it when it happened, but my 85kWh pack suddenly started losing capacity over the course of a few weeks. By the time I made my trip from the Bay Area to Southern California in December, 100% charge was barely above 200 miles of rated range. On the return trip home, it refused to charge at the Supercharger. As soon as I plugged-in, it said "charge complete". They said the battery pack failed, and I got a loaner to drive back and they shipped the car with loaner-pack to me a week later, but it's been over 5 weeks now and still no word.

They no longer replace it with a refurbished or new pack. Tesla changed to an approach that, basically, your battery pack is your battery pack forever. If you have a non-cell-related problem with the pack, you can use a loaner pack while your pack is sent to be repaired, then yours will be re-installed when it is repaired.

I think Tesla had to do this for a couple of reasons. The first is that the early contactor failures were creating too many refurbished packs after new packs were installed in cars and the old ones were sent back to be reworked - they can't be installed in new cars, so they'd have a glut of refurbished battery packs. The second is that there were some people whose "newly refurbished" packs had a lower range predicted by the car than their old pack. By going this route, Tesla has essentially made the battery pack the center of the car (as it seemingly should be).
I like this approach better. I wouldn't mind getting my original 60kWh A pack back (Equivelent to a 85kWh B pack without 90kW charge rate limit). While it had less range then my current pack had when installed, my current pack is dropping range much quicker then my original pack did.

I have no idea why. I've posted about it when it happened, but my 85kWh pack suddenly started losing capacity over the course of a few weeks. By the time I made my trip from the Bay Area to Southern California in December, 100% charge was barely above 200 miles of rated range. On the return trip home, it refused to charge at the Supercharger. As soon as I plugged-in, it said "charge complete". They said the battery pack failed, and I got a loaner to drive back and they shipped the car with loaner-pack to me a week later, but it's been over 5 weeks now and still no word.

Enjoy placing your degradation on the loaner pack while yours is re-worked. Always look on the bright side. :)

Was not aware of new policy that "your pack is your pack". Has interesting implications re: swapping. Hints that "loaner" swapping is probably the only way it can work, which renders it useless for any large scale deployment.

Personally, though I'm still annoyed by the charging restriction and would definitely upgrade my A to a NEW pack when larger energy density becomes available... I've gotten to know my battery and I think I got a good one... would not want to permanently swap it for unknown refurbished due to either service or swapping station.

Noticed this new thread about reported 60kw supercharging experiences.

The wicked part of me spun a fantasy: What if Tesla Motors found through logs that B and later batteries had issues charging over 60kW in some circumstances, and implemented limits in those circumstances. Leaving A pack owners the only ones who can consistently charge at 90kW peak? And then all those thousands of B+ pack owners who thought the 90kW limit no big deal were suddenly stewing about the injustice of an occasional 30kW charge deficiency? Of course, I would not wish this on anyone... but it's interesting to see how others react to charge limitations when they are among the affected!!!! Many of the same who said we were over-reacting.

Now, I know someone is going to chime in saying I got some facts wrong here... for them please re-read the word above: FANTASY!

Noticed this new thread about reported 60kw supercharging experiences.

The wicked part of me spun a fantasy: What if Tesla Motors found through logs that B and later batteries had issues charging over 60kW in some circumstances, and implemented limits in those circumstances. Leaving A pack owners the only ones who can consistently charge at 90kW peak? And then all those thousands of B+ pack owners who thought the 90kW limit no big deal were suddenly stewing about the injustice of an occasional 30kW charge deficiency? Of course, I would not wish this on anyone... but it's interesting to see how others react to charge limitations when they are among the affected!!!! Many of the same who said we were over-reacting.

Now, I know someone is going to chime in saying I got some facts wrong here... for them please re-read the word above: FANTASY!

Gosh, I hope not... First, I have an A-pack with 90kW limit... Now that my A-pack failed, and I'm on a loaner B-pack, I'm screwed again with 60kW charging?!