Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay Tesla it’s time to show the Performance trim some love.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but I won’t give a number, it all depends In how that 45hp is applied. Gotta remember we aren’t talking ICE here. It’s a different ballgame.

The LR AWD with the acceleration package gave a 0.4 sec 0 to 60 boost, and about 50 more hp.

Source here:
Tesla Model 3 'Acceleration Boost' tested: 0-60 in 3.8, more power and torque - Electrek

Perhaps maybe that additional 45 hp will give similar result, but then again, it's AWD in that case compared to RWD for SR+/LR, so perhaps it's different for a single motor. And like you stated, also depends on how the power is applied as well.

The P could definitely use a launch mode or at least just battery warming to get the max discharge from the battery perhaps. This could make a nice difference.

The highest max discharge I’ve seen from my battery via the canbus data is 441kw at 42 degrees Celsius. It took a bunch of launches and a supercharger session to get there. It was cold outside mind.

Typically it sits around 380-400kw after preconditioning with the climate function. 40-50 kw is quite a lot of power to be without (53-67hp).

Also, and I’m no battery expert by a long stretch, at 450kw max discharge for the 75kw battery pack, it would be discharging at 6x it’s capacity (75kw x 6), just like the S (100kw x6). Perhaps Tesla don’t want to go beyond this discharge rate? Dunno. If so, there is little scope for more power from the battery, beyond ensuring it is always available with a pre-warming function. Unless the 2170’s can be discharged at a higher rate than the 18650’s..

• Informative
Reactions: john5520
I would see any possible improvement as potentially more of a response to what the competition is doing.

As an example, the new "Cheetah" mode for the P100D is being made available just after several tests have shown that the Porsche Taycan Turbo S is slightly quicker in some instances. (...ignoring the fact that it takes a temporary overboost mode and a 2-speed transmission in order for the Taycan to eke out the win). In other words, I doubt that the timing of the release of this update is a coincidence.

If the new AWD BMW M3/M4 proves to be quicker than the Model 3P, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla respond.

It would kind of suck if they only upgrade the new cars and not the existing cars :)

If it requires a hardware change then that could very well be the case. If it's just software then they'll likely send it out to everyone.

Just like any other car it's possible for them to make hardware changes from year to year to improve performance. The fact that there is even a possibility that they could increase power via an OTA software update is pretty amazing. If it happens then I'll be excited. If it requires a hardware change then I'll buy the new one in a couple years.

Also, and I’m no battery expert by a long stretch, at 450kw max discharge for the 75kw battery pack, it would be discharging at 6x it’s capacity (75kw x 6), just like the S (100kw x6). Perhaps Tesla don’t want to go beyond this discharge rate? Dunno. If so, there is little scope for more power from the battery, beyond ensuring it is always available with a pre-warming function. Unless the 2170’s can be discharged at a higher rate than the 18650’s..
We need RC LiPo battery discharge rates! :eek: :D

IMG_1373.JPG

What? C8? Are you kidding? The C8 already lost to the model 3.

Jump to 5:00 The C8 shouldn't be struggling with the P3D+ but it is.

Wait, what? I've been reading 2.7-2.8 0-60 for the C8. Guess I'll do more watching, but it sounds like that is time is in ideal situation and maybe real world is competitive with the P3D.

Still, Elon, I would like consistent 2.7-2.9 sec 0-60 MPH.