Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay Tesla it’s time to show the Performance trim some love.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears unlikely they can do much to make the current performance model much faster.

Most likely what happened, is they shipped the car with a bit of headroom on the table due to uncertainty surrounding the design. After a bit of time passed, they came to the conclusion the data shows the design was either performing as expected and they can bump the power, or it was performing better than expected and they could add more than expected. But it’s most likely these boosts were not a surprise, but a careful design consideration since that’s the sort of thing you need to do with a new design shipped in large enough volume to cripple a company if it goes wrong.

It appears unlikely they can do much to make the current performance model much faster.

Most likely what happened, is they shipped the car with a bit of headroom on the table due to uncertainty surrounding the design. After a bit of time passed, they came to the conclusion the data shows the design was either performing as expected and they can bump the power, or it was performing better than expected and they could add more than expected. But it’s most likely these boosts were not a surprise, but a careful design consideration since that’s the sort of thing you need to do with a new design shipped in large enough volume to cripple a company if it goes wrong.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say I bet you’re wrong (sportsman’s bet, of course).

I’m guessing there’s more power AND launch mode capability left on the table. It’s just a matter of when. Let’s do this, Elon!

They can totally do a launch mode that would help a bit. But I’m not convinced they’re comfortable or able to add much power at this time.

Either way, 0.5 second drop in the 0-60 sounds rather unlikely. I’d like to be wrong, but there’s absolutely limits, you can’t just do whatever.

They can totally do a launch mode that would help a bit. But I’m not convinced they’re comfortable or able to add much power at this time.

You say that, but DragTimes came out with a video on March 29th showing the Model Y performance makes about 45hp more than the Model 3 performance. In the video he does ask if the 3 will have access to that extra power. He makes an error about the battery size, but corrects himself in the comments.

Electrek wrote about it in an article:
Tesla Model Y has a more powerful powertrain than Model 3, test shows - Electrek

You say that, but DragTimes came out with a video on March 29th showing the Model Y performance makes about 45hp more than the Model 3 performance. In the video he does ask if the 3 will have access to that extra power. He makes an error about the battery size, but corrects himself in the comments.

Tesla Model Y has a more powerful powertrain than Model 3, test shows - Electrek

Has someone verified that these cars use the exact same motor part number? Even the model 3 AWD early versions had the same motor PN as the performance, but later there was a different part number between the two for the rear motor. Does the Y use the exact same part as the 3 in performance trim for rear motor? If it doesnt, what the model Y does or doesnt do as far as acceleration doesnt matter.

Has someone verified that these cars use the exact same motor part number?

Yes, this does need to be verified. Right now everyone is making the assumption that they are based on the idea that the Y is being built on the same platform as the 3 and 75% of the parts are supposed to be the same. Maybe Munro's teardown of the Y will reveal that sooner than later.

Reactions: bcpm3p
Yes, this does need to be verified. Right now everyone is making the assumption that they are based on the idea that the Y is being built on the same platform as the 3 and 75% of the parts are supposed to be the same. Maybe Munro's teardown of the Y will reveal that sooner than later.

There was another MY thread where MYP owner posted the rear motor plate. It was a 980-G if I'm not mistaken - I can't find that thread at the moment.

Even if they use the exact same part number, it could also be that the software restrict the amount of current going to the same motors.

Tesla seems to be pretty good at enhancing the performance of the legacy fleet, long after initial purchase.

I remember in 2017 when the "uncorked" the 75 batteries in S/X. Gave about 1 second improvement in 0-60 times. They did this at no charge for those that qualified.

Same thing with the new Cheeta Stance with air suspensions. Performance owners are getting that for free with some current updates.

Applause to Tesla for these enhancements.

Even if they use the exact same part number, it could also be that the software restrict the amount of current going to the same motors.

Tesla seems to be pretty good at enhancing the performance of the legacy fleet, long after initial purchase.

I remember in 2017 when the "uncorked" the 75 batteries in S/X. Gave about 1 second improvement in 0-60 times. They did this at no charge for those that qualified.

Same thing with the new Cheeta Stance with air suspensions. Performance owners are getting that for free with some current updates.

Applause to Tesla for these enhancements.

If the Y is capable of 45hp more and they have the same parts, then yes, all software restricted. The Model Y uses the same 980 motor as the 3 as proven by some of the Model Y threads where they took pictures but the other hardware like the inverter needs to verified the same. I'm betting we get some sort of power bump in the future.

Reactions: bcpm3p
There was another MY thread where MYP owner posted the rear motor plate. It was a 980-G if I'm not mistaken - I can't find that thread at the moment.

Yeah, rear is still a 980... Interestingly, LR-AWD Ys also have a 980 just like the LR AWD 3 used to.

Dunno if anybody has confirmed the front motor PN in the Y but I'd be at least mildly surprised if that's different.

I do know some of the wiring in the HV systems on the Y is different per the teardown, but it's unclear if that's just a manufacturing improvement or if there's any capability difference that would matter. Likewise I don't think we know enough yet about the battery to know if it's exactly identical or if there's some reason it could handle a marginally higher discharge rate.

We DO know the cooling/heating system is different/improved though so maybe some performance impact there?

Just tossing thoughts out here, I don't suspect we'll know much definitively for a while.

Reactions: jjrandorin

This video confirmed there’s some power left on the table, but I was ready for the bump before this came out.

I find it hard to believe that Tesla left power on the table for the S/LR/SR but maxed out the performance version from the factory. In no logical world does that make sense.

I think Tesla tries to release a major upgrade once a quarter to keep people interested and further stomp on the neck of the competition. End of the year is gong to be all about the Plaid S and FSD. (Would be nice to hear about the roadster, but not holding my breath.)

So I’m thinking by end of 2nd qtr (June) should be our turn.

This video confirmed there’s some power left on the table, but I was ready for the bump before this came out.

I find it hard to believe that Tesla left power on the table for the S/LR/SR but maxed out the performance version from the factory. In no logical world does that make sense.

Also in no actual world DID that happen.

The P has already gotten two 5% power bumps from original release. Free.

It's entirely possible it's now maxed out to what Tesla is comfortable having as a max with the current batteries/cooling/etc in the vehicle.

Certainly the data others have logged regarding discharge rates and other data suggest if there's much left, it's not a lot.

I think Tesla tries to release a major upgrade once a quarter to keep people interested and further stomp on the neck of the competition. End of the year is gong to be all about the Plaid S and FSD. (Would be nice to hear about the roadster, but not holding my breath.)

So I’m thinking by end of 2nd qtr (June) should be our turn.

Even if we pretend there IS some huge power left for the P3, it's incredibly unlikely you'd see it before the Plaid S comes out- because they really don't want the gap between their 50ish thousand dollar car and their 100ish thousand dollar car to be that tiny.

End of June speculation is that's when they'd release the stoplight/stop sign FSD features...which would let them recognize some deferred FSD revenue for delivering features- plus raise the price on FSD again (to $8000 in August per last mention from Elon... which lets em have a higher established price in place for all those rich Plaid S buyers coming later this year!)