Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another angle:
2018%20E-Class%20Coupe%20(12)-636264735415707105.jpg
Those air vents look like they swallowed Boba Fett.

-smak-

Don't like the mercedes one.

Duh, a single touchscreen is the future because it works perfectly in the s. I don't miss buttons at all.

I bet the steering wheel will have scrollwheels,like the s and instead of changing displays behind wheel it will change displays on the big screen. I figure the speedo will always be left part. Seems fine to me!
tesla-model-3-ui-decoding-2.png

Much better than my mini was
3724.jpg

Reactions: cdub and EinSV
Unfortunately, the round analog-style speedometer is dead. Pretty sure it won't ever be coming back.

Remember, it only exists on pre-Autopilot cars at this point. Those of us with AP haven't had a speedometer since the debut of 7.0.

All about personal taste for sure. I just can;t imagine how many times I'm going to hit my leg, arm, etc., on it. It just looks too "open" for me. Maybe it can be removed and put under the seat? :D
Open? I think it looks very claustrophobic. Look how close the screen is to your hands. Any openness from the lack of dash screen is wrecked by having that big, honking, floating monstrosity aggressively butting into your space.

Open? I think it looks very claustrophobic. Look how close the screen is to your hands. Any openness from the lack of dash screen is wrecked by having that big, honking, floating monstrosity aggressively butting into your space.
We should all reserve judgement until we're behind the wheel but it appears to me the screen is back behind the wheel and your hands won't be that close to it. See reveal test drive videos.

Reactions: JeffK

Open was a bad choice in words. I meant the edges were exposed. But I agree with your analysis in full. :)

Because it takes away information. Two digits changing on a screen do not visually show you the rate of acceleration (or deceleration) that you get with the movement of an arc.

They do, just not as we have been use to since the invention of the auto. Now a days, plenty of various counters can still give rates based on how fast the numbers change and/or the significant number of decimal points, etc. I'm more concerned about the glance angle and length of time to process the info rather than whether is a analogue gauge or digital.

They do, just not as we have been use to since the invention of the auto. Now a days, plenty of various counters can still give rates based on how fast the numbers change and/or the significant number of decimal points, etc. I'm more concerned about the glance angle and length of time to process the info rather than whether is a analogue gauge or digital.
Totally agree! But at the moment, we don't have any UI element that shows the rate of acceleration/deceleration[*] on AP cars, which is useful when said cars are being manually driven. Would love to see some new UI that addresses this.

To be clear, I'm not arguing for keeping round analog-style speedometers. I'm arguing for making that information available and easy to process at a glance. In the original Tesla UI, the arc on the left always showed your speed relative to the speed limit. The current UI makes you look at the digits on a separate speed limit sign, then at the digits showing your current speed, and it's up to you to do the math in your head. There is no strictly graphical element to show this information anymore.

[*] unless you count the rate of power consumption, which is shown visually in the optional Energy widget.

Last edited:
i'm sure they're losing sleep over this at Tesla HQ.
I'm sure they're losing plenty of sleep over getting the ramp built, and that's as it should be.
That said, a smart company (which Tesla probably is) will pay attention to yellow lights flashing from its most devoted fans, and for this reason: everyone else will grumble a whole lot more.
Tesla is a terrific company and its success is really, really important. But it's not inevitable.
Robin

The reason is they want people to buy cars now, which means S or X. Someone placing a model 3 reservation gets Tesla what at this point? $1000 and a sale in 2019? Maybe.
I suspect Elon's talk will be different once the average person can go out and purchase a 3.

But everyone who can afford a Model S or X (and from what I gather that is a minute percentage of car buyers, just like very few can buy a 7-series or S-class) can buy them now anyway. I have said this time and time again, if you can afford a Model S, why on earth would you wait for a Model 3?

All Elon is doing is pointing out how much worse the Model 3 will be compared to the Model S. Sorry, Elon, all of us "poorer" folks who will never be able to fork out 100K+ Euro for your precious Model S (or even more for a Model X) feel really great about our future Tesla now. Honestly, if there were any serious competition available at this very moment, I would give up my reservation in an instant. As it is, I will have to make do with that "inferior" Model 3 until some German carmaker brings out something better.
If it weren't for my TSLA stock, I would be really pissed with Tesla at the moment. Showing so little appreciation for those hundreds of thousands of reservation holders who keep his company going is annoying, to say the least.

But everyone who can afford a Model S or X (and from what I gather that is a minute percentage of car buyers, just like very few can buy a 7-series or S-class) can buy them now anyway. I have said this time and time again, if you can afford a Model S, why on earth would you wait for a Model 3?

All Elon is doing is pointing out how much worse the Model 3 will be compared to the Model S. Sorry, Elon, all of us "poorer" folks who will never be able to fork out 100K+ Euro for your precious Model S (or even more for a Model X) feel really great about our future Tesla now. Honestly, if there were any serious competition available at this very moment, I would give up my reservation in an instant. As it is, I will have to make do with that "inferior" Model 3 until some German carmaker brings out something better.
If it weren't for my TSLA stock, I would be really pissed with Tesla at the moment. Showing so little appreciation for those hundreds of thousands of reservation holders who keep his company going is annoying, to say the least.
I was actually under the impression there were quite a few folks who have stretched their budgets to purchase a model S. I've seen comments from lots of people who have stated they have never spent that much money on a car, and wouldn't have spent that much on any other. (perhaps its just a few people, but they all happen to be on TMC. who knows?)
I would imagine these are people who really like the benefits and/or ideals of an electric car, and the Tesla is the only one that meets all of their needs. I suspect that a lot of these folks would choose a model 3 if it was available.

Perhaps Elon could be slightly more nuanced in his comparisons between model S and model 3... but I suspect that he actually is concerned that "some" people were imagining the Model 3 as much more that it will actually be and that they might be severely disappointed with those expectations.

I've often tried to think about what would have to be done to cut the price of a model S in half, while keeping the car at 75%-80% of the size and basic capabilities. We know that the batteries are a bit smaller, and should be somewhat cheaper to make, and they are using more steel and less aluminum, but that certainly doesn't get you there. I actually get a bit nervous about how stripped down the base model will need to be. Now I'm all set to add options, but if Tesla needs to keep options to a minimum to keep the complexity down and meet their schedule, where does that leave things? I'm not so sure, but I'm not pissed off about it and I don't think they are showing little appreciation. I think they are making decisions that work best for them overall. If I need to wait, I'll wait, and ultimately If I need to get something else I will.

To be sure, this car's interior layout will evolve soon due to market pressure. Maybe they will offer retrofits for early adopters?
Why offer retrofits? If the Model S is any indication, changes due to market pressures just make the car worse (killing off the yacht floor, smaller frunks, LED headlights that are worse than the already mediocre HID projectors, etc.).

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911