Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Tesla Model Y Unveiling March 14: Cost 10% More Than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla likes to keep some details to themselves ahead of an reveal. Gives more value and drama to the reveal.

As far as service, some people have service issues but most do not.

Model Y will not disrupt Model 3 production. It will be assembled at a totally different Factory. The 3 in Fremont and the Y in Nevada. Imagine that both could eventually be produced in very similar lines all in Nevada where costs are much lower and they have tons of room.
This would free up Fremont to make Pickup, New Roadster, Semi, and do R&D.

Elon says he would like to see an even less expensive car produced. Maybe in the $25,000 range, but that would be at least 3 years away. No promises, but something he would like to see.

Picking apart the current production really serves no practical purpose. All the Tesla are fantastic in their own right. They may not be done exactly how someone else may wish they would, but all things are a comprimise, and Tesla is still the world leader in EV.

Believe the biggest challenge Tesla faces is still being able to make enough batteries to power all the vehicles/powerwalls that people are buying. They are changing the World, one little battery at a time.

Reactions: Fiddler
how can we see the model y in person when its unveiled? and even more so with the stores closing, how will we be able to test drive it...
You would need to be invited to the unveiling event.

Plus, what’s a test drive?

Jk, the galleries offer test drives.

That being said, all of us reserved without one, and most of us bought with a test drive also.

True, but have they used it during anyone here’s lifetime?
Possibly. And looky look! Do you spot it?
From wiki:
  • 1932: Ford introduces the one-piece cast V8 block. It makes the Model 18 the first low-priced V8-powered car. In London Royal Albert Hall the Model 19, or as it was marketed Model Y, are introduced February 19. The first of a long line of small European Fords.[48]

They made the decision to not make service a profit center. So it's not a commercial necessity.
Most Tesla owners love to take a day off from work or hire a babysitter to hang out at a service center. That breed of loyals will thin out as Tesla grows and competition emerges doing it old school.
The mobile service techs do a great job. There is no need to waste a day at the service center.

You would need to be invited to the unveiling event.

Plus, what’s a test drive?

Jk, the galleries offer test drives.

That being said, all of us reserved without one, and most of us bought with a test drive also.

personally i like test driving first. it helped me decide between the model 3 and the s.

would love a larger car for the family but also would want to test it to decide between that and the x.

personally i like test driving first. it helped me decide between the model 3 and the s.

would love a larger car for the family but also would want to test it to decide between that and the x.
Yea, I guess. I tend to do so much research on a car that I know what I want before I walk into the dealership. But, yes, it's always nice to try...which you can do at a gallery (once the car is available).

Lets see ho many ways many of us disagree with you. I much prefer the M3 center cluster overs the MX/MS approach - cleaner and better visibility and we have an MX which we love so have many hours in both. Estate are around but not common in the US so much rather they focus on the MY than add variants to the M3. Glove box I will give you that one but the center cousole is better in the M3 so it offsets to a degree. I would bye a MY one day but likely as an MX replacement and then order the Tesla pickup
You are the first I encounter. I've found dozens of others who'd love to have an instrument cluster, some attested they'd pay extra, or prefer a discount for not having it.
This place is very Tesla minded of course. There will be a difference between present and future customers. We'll agree that the latter is a larger group.

You are the first I encounter. I've found dozens of others who'd love to have an instrument cluster

No doubt you are right here, people are creatures of habit. They don't like things to change too quickly.

But there just aren't many "instruments" in an EV to warrant a full sized cluster or any cluster at all in front of the steering wheel. When I look at the dash display in my MX, it shows speed (which is fine) and then after that they are struggling to fill the rest of the large display with useful information that really needs to be right there in front of you. The large analogue clock is a total waste of space (I instinctively look at the digital clock in the centre display) and so is the power meter on the other side. Then we have the "dancing" vehicle AP display in the centre and battery level. All could be moved off to the centre display without causing any big deal for me.

So I get what they've done with the Model 3 and the proposed smaller dash display strongly rumoured in the M/X interior refresh. Maybe throw in a HUD option for speed and speed limit etc for those who really need to see it all the time directly in front. But I'm fine with where it is on the M 3 display.

apparently there will be videos of the test drives (if people take them) on March 14th so hopefully some will post so we can get a look at the interior.

i'm very curious if the interior will be totally different or be similar to the 3, like the MS is to the MX.

What do you guys think? similar or different?

With 76% same parts, expect it to be exactly the same, but with modifications due to the vehicles size, height.

i agree. but i wonder if theyll classify a new interior or go in a different direction. i know for the pickup it's gonna be a new look (or at least i have a feeling)

the model y i'm not sure.... they could be the same, or tesla could surprise us (which they do best)