Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if driving down the road around 65 MPH, in a 60 MPH area, and you see a yellow light if you slow to 0 any quicker than 10 seconds you trigger this. Insane!
I am pretty sure autopilot was more aggressive than this and it did not register on my trip today. I'll try it again tomorrow and see.
Otherwise look forward to a YouTube video where someone demonstrates driving around with AP and being rated an unsafe driver by Tesla. The logical conclusion by the general public would be AP is unsafe instead of concluding the safety app is dumb.
Elon said that they are going to tweak it.

It is clear that when full regeneration triggers negative G limit, the calculator is not ready.

So are you saying we should have try outs to have the basic Autopilot features as well? To avoid people like that ONE guy? Lol. There will always be someone to abuse something. You can’t control and micromanage everyone. Just look at the tide pods, huffing, etc. You can take a 30 minute (if that) driving test to get a license and drive your car into the side of someone’s house. But to have automated driving features you need a week long try outs and $10k. Interesting concept.
Sure - unfortunately FSD is not ready for that. So, you have to wait ...
FSD doesn’t need to be ready for my manual driving, no one does spirited driving with AP/FSD engaged.

You ever fly drones? If so then you’d understand that this is like me saying you have to be a good FPV fully manual drone pilot before you can fly the DJI fully automated drones that require supervision and minimal input.

It's explained in:

Including the formula as well:

Predicted Collision Frequency (PCF) = 0.682854x1.014495Forward Collision Warning per 1,000 Miles
x1.127294Hard Braking
x1.019630Aggresive Turning
x1.001444Unsafe Following Time
x1.317958Forced Autopilot Disengagement
So I get 1 or 2 FCW per trip as I round a corner near home and it mistakes the cars parked on the curve as obstacles. This does not bode well for me getting a reasonable safety rating.

So are you saying we should have try outs to have the basic Autopilot features as well? To avoid people like that ONE guy? Lol. There will always be someone to abuse something. You can’t control and micromanage everyone. Just look at the tide pods, huffing, etc. You can take a 30 minute (if that) driving test to get a license and drive your car into the side of someone’s house. But to have automated driving features you need a week long try outs and $10k. Interesting concept.

FSD doesn’t need to be ready for my manual driving, no one does spirited driving with AP/FSD engaged.

You ever fly drones? If so then you’d understand that this is like me saying you have to be a good FPV fully manual drone pilot before you can fly the DJI fully automated drones that require supervision and minimal input.
There’s always going to be bad actors but mitigating risk to reduce the number of them is within teslas best interest because the moment a terrible fsd related accident occurs, the media is going to unfairly pounce on Tesla and hammer them for it.

Still at 60? I seem to be stuck there as well.
It’s finished. A total nothing burger. Minor bug fixes.
Good question. I don't know if FSD Beta will unlock for everyone who subscribes to the $200/mo plan, or only for those who pre-paid for FSD up front ($10k thing). I'm in the latter category. But either way, you'll need to be a paid FSD customer to get the FSD Beta tomorrow night.
That was my question as well. I was on my last day of FSD subscription and no button.

Same. And I still have no idea how I’ve hard-turned but their dinged me a few times for that already.
Changing lanes abruptly can cause high lateral acceleration. The average highway lane width is 12 feet, so if you change lanes in 1 second the acceleration (d = 0.5 * a * t *t) is 0.75 G which is higher than the 0.4 G upper limit. If you're more gentle and take 2 seconds to change lanes the Gs drop to 0.2. Or if you don't turn the steering wheel smoothly, you could have brief high lateral acceleration even if your average acceleration is within limits.

To answer another question, the max regen power is around 60kw and the deceleration that causes (a = power / (m * v) is lower at high speeds than it is at lower speeds because the velocity is in the denominator. At 70 mph the drag on a Model S is 16.8 kw. That combined with the 60 kw of regen causes the car to decelerate at 0.1 G. At 30 mph the drag is 3.5 kw and with regen the deceleration is 0.2 G. They start to reduce the regen power as you slow down to limit regen Gs to about 0.2.

Going downhill would reduce your deceleration.

Also, the only thing that counts against you while on autopilot is forced disengagement. On the other hand, it helps raise your safety score because the miles you accumulate are used in the calculations.

Last edited:
So first commute with the dumb try outs. Rather annoying experience.

1) Coming up to a green light, car starts braking, says to press accelerator to proceed, press accelerator to proceed, light starts turning yellow, car jams the brakes as if I’m about to bowl a strike through 10 infants in the roadway. Unnecessary jerking multiple times just at one intersection. Can’t wait to see it ding me for hard braking the AP did.

2) Intersection on a curve, green light, going through on AP, the car jerks me out of the right lane into the left lane, now to think about it, it always does that there, I’m sure I’ll be dinged for something there.

3) Grandmas passing me and giving me dirty looks as I’m trying to accelerate on AP to avoid any dings.

4) Playing constant whack a mole with the accelerator and the steering wheel on a perfectly flat straight east to west road where there is no steering wheel input needed because of how straight the road is. I got to take my attention off the road and keep looking at the dash every couple of seconds to see which mole is next to be whacked. Accelerator for green light? Put pressure onto the steering wheel going perfectly straight? Another green light? More pressure to continue going straight?

All in all, I found today’s drive to be more frustrating and exhausting than ever. At this point it is literally easier to just drive manually and scratch this whole try outs idea because I don’t feel as even the student drivers are subjected to this sort of awfulness during Driving Ed.

That’s very unfortunate because I regen brake 95% of the time. It could be a bit aggressive comparing to an ICE car if you just dump the gas pedal without throttling off slowly though
Yeah - I basically rely on regen breaking when I disengage autopilot on city streets to make a right or left turn... Seems like BS to me! Frankly having to manage feathering the accelerator seems like it would be MORE dangerous

So first commute with the dumb try outs. Rather annoying experience.

All in all, I found today’s drive to be more frustrating and exhausting than ever. At this point it is literally easier to just drive manually and scratch this whole try outs idea because I don’t feel as even the student drivers are subjected to this sort of awfulness during Driving Ed.

Yep, the FSD rollout and refinement will not be for everyone immediately. Tesla has decided to phase it in thru cautious drivers, the so-called grannies. I hope these tactics work and we do not get risky adventure seekers posting on YouTube the ways they have gamed the system.

Drivers who push the ability of the car to drive in FSD could trigger premature federal or state regulations.

So if your normal driving scores you lower on the Tesla Insurance scorekeeper, then Tesla, and I, want you to wait until there are better software guardrails built into FSD.

Enjoy the car, drive normally, and let Tesla develop and deploy the FSD beta as they think they safely can.

Fundamentally, “gaming” the system for 7 days is a tactical mistake. It’s likely FSD beta will be revoked when normal driving returns. Why bother with the stress?
FSD is coming, it’s improving, and more of us are getting it soon and likely every two to four weeks more will be added.

Evenso, I’m somewhat surprised that any “grannies” drive Teslas. We will find out in a week or so. It would be fascinating to see the histogram of Tesla drivers on the Safety score. Will any of us be above 80 by the end of the week?

You must have FSD to get the request button, and you must hit the button to allow the telemetry data to go to Tesla to compute the safety score. No FSD, no score. Viewing the safety score requires version 4.1 of the Tesla app (Sept. 24, 2021). Safety Score is on the main list of things to do on the App. You can't miss it.

One caution. If you’re traveling under Autosteer at say 55 mph and the speed limit changes to 45 and you use the scroll wheel to quickly dial down the speed by 10 mph, standard regenerative braking is strong enough to trigger a hard braking event that will hurt your score. I got ripped repeatedly for this on my test drive yesterday. I didn’t understand where all these hard braking events were coming from until I got out my State Farm app, which also tracks driving. It showed me on the map where these braking events were (it tracked them too) and they were on the open road with no traffic, but at speed limit changes.

One thinks of hard braking as slamming on the brakes, but it's much more sensitive than that.

I just had a wonderful set of 20-odd mile late night drives to play around with no (I mean literally zero) traffic in the San Jose area. I aimed for and got full perfect scores, with very little modification to my normal driving style.

Regen braking - doesn't matter. Use it all. My setting is normal regen/hold mode. I very highly doubt Tesla will consider it "hard braking" for just letting off the pedal completely. I used full regen multiple times, as is the norm, and got no "incidents" from it. I will add that I've been in Chill mode for the past week, through to today ;) It doesn't reduce the max regen power; it just smooths the throttle response.
Aggressive turning - I got dinged unexpectedly for that in my very first 2-mile round trip yesterday. I suspect it's because when I make turns, I quickly blend into existing traffic and always try to be at-speed before anyone needs to react (making other existing traffic change to your speed of merging is a generally bad thing). So, tonight I just slightly lowered my acceleration in the turn, and continued zipping up to the speed limit +5 after turning.
FCW - haven't had one yet.

Simply enabling traffic light detection (and using AP or maybe just TACC) ought to eliminate any issues with stopping for yellow/red lights. "Incidents" flagged during usage of AP are eliminated from score calculation (seem to still show up, but your score is not impacted/stays 100%), so if you have to hard-brake for a sudden yellow, having AP on and catching the light should mask it. It's annoying because it reacts to any sign with a flashing yellow light on it (not as a yellow, but just arbitrarily slows down - even for signs that simply say "signal ahead"), and you have to confirm every green light if you're not following a car, but I'll just deal with it.

Last edited:
Fundamentally, “gaming” the system for 7 days is a tactical mistake. It’s likely FSD beta will be revoked when normal driving returns. Why bother with the stress?
FSD is coming, it’s improving, and more of us are getting it soon and likely every two to four weeks more will be added.

I'm really hoping that isn't the case. I'm hoping they just more aggressively monitor how much attention you pay while FSD is active. To just start kicking everyone off the moment they take an on ramp too quickly or someone cuts in front of them too close on the highway... Or like someone already cited, coming to an abrupt stop to avoid running a red light.

How vigilant you are with FSD is not related to how you drive manually, and Elon is smart enough to know that. That's why I'm hoping this insurance calculator is just their way of weeding out the people who can't be disciplined for 7 days without inserting the nannies and monitors from FSD. If you make the cut, they could then monitor your vigilance with only those systems in FSD.

What I do think is likely to happen though is the 7 day period stretches further and further. They roll out 10.1, find they want to push it to 10.2 until they do the public roll out, adds a couple of weeks, etc.

Reactions: FalconFour